Get ready, you are the doctor!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnG, Dec 16, 2002.

1. AnnG

AnnG New Member

OK, pretend you are talking to a newly diagnosed person with FM (you are). What would you want them to know? Hints? Meds? Symptoms? Anything?

I am a sponge and I want to soak up your knowledge and hear your stories!

Thank you in advance. I am sitting here in pain and I'm ready to learn!

Ann
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

You are on the right track. The first thing you need to do is learn as much as possible about what's wrong with you. Unless you are extremely lucky and have a very well-informed doc you may end up guiding the doc, rather than the other way around. I have a great doc and feel like we work as a team. I bring in some of my own ideas and he's usually willing to let me try them.

First, decide what your worst symptom is. It might be pain, lack of sleep, fatigue, cognitive problems, etc. That is what should be addressed first. A lot of people find that they are unable to get their pain under control until they are able to get a good night's sleep.

We all react differently to different treatments. That's why it's important to read as much as you can. There is no one right answer. I'm willing to bet that each person here is treating themselves in a slightly different manner than every other person here.

So, start reading in the library. You may also want to post something more specific, narrowing your question down to one symptom.

Barbara
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

The first thing on my list, is that you, must be your own advocate. You must list your symptoms, and begin researching each, through various means. We are all individuals and all have many systems down. I believe these disorders need an individual approach. What works for one patient, doesn't always for another. Most often alot of experimenting takes place before the right combinations of treatments help. By all means ask others for advice, but it is ultimately up to you to research that advice, and see if it fits your needs.

The other aspect that I think is equally important would be to make sure you have a doctor well versed in these disorders, one who keeps abreast of the latest research, and has alot of fm patients onboard. One who is willing to extensively assist you (notice the assist YOU part) in managing your illness. One of the reasons I find this important is he or she can order tests and prescriptions which, we the patients cannot. Another is that their knowledge by sheer volumn of the cases they have treated, can be a short cut to some of the methods we may try, in which good results have not been attained. It is also wonderful to have a well informed, objective opinion.

Read, Read, Read. There are many wonderful Fibro/CFS books available, filled with theory on cause, systems that can be affected, and treatments available.
    The are plenty of beneficial medicines, supplements, herbs, excercise regimes which fit the patients abilities and needs---
    If you log your symptoms, and to begin systematically exploring the treatments, you will be headed in the right direction. Their is no magic pill, someone can give you. Imagine that this is your new job, and you must actively study and research to tackle this job, effectively.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2002]