Get your credit reports for free

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Have you checked your credit report lately? If it’s been a year or more, you can order your FREE annual credit report through or by calling 1-877-322-8228. The Federal Trade Commission warns consumers to beware of advertising for “free credit reports” other than Other products may use the word “free” in their advertising or websites, but often require consumers to spend money.

Each year, you’re entitled to get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can either space out your requests throughout the year, or request all three reports at once.

Your credit can affect your ability to make large purchases and apply for a loan or mortgage. By checking your credit report, you can ensure that your personal information is accurate and that no fraudulent accounts have been activated.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Taking advantage of your once a year FREE credit reports is something everyone should do. It's much easier to clear up any erroneous information before you need to apply for credit.
    The Free reports do not give a score - you may have to pay for those.

Knowing what your factors contribute to your credit score is important.

Payment History - 35%
    Amount Owed - 30%
    Credit Length- 15%
    New Credit - 10%
    Types of Credit - 10%

Regarding Credit Length - Don't close old credit cards -even if you don't regularly use them. They have a positive effect on your credit score.

Your credit score is just a snapshot in time. If you do have a low credit score, it can be raised!

I must add - although I work w/credit regularly and help people to raise their credit scores, I am not offering professional advice. This information can be found anywhere on the internet. =)