Gettin' My Groove - New Exercise Tape

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OK, y'all, you know how boring exercise can be. Well, I've decided to try the "Darrin's Dance Grooves" video. He's the guy who choreographs Britney Spears, NSYNC and other stars' videos.

The biggest problem I'm having is that it's hard for me to just watch and try some moves one or two times to get them down pat. I have the same problem with other exercise videos too, especially if they move too fast. I have to keep stopping the tape and practicing it till I get it down. I think this is due to my poor old brain not working as well as it used to. This may help my cognitive problems while I exercise.

Also, these are not moves that a 58-year-old woman is used to making. If it gets too intense, I'll have to insert some of my own moves here and there, but so far, it's great fun. I'll let you know how I'm making out and whether or not I get my groove back :)

Love, Mikie
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Are you ambitious. Try the moves 'half time' instead of the full time. I loved to dance, and when I got tired, I would do the same steps half the time, still keep up with the beat of the music without exausting myself.

This should work with an exercise video too.

Have fun................

Shalom, Shirl
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Hey at least your finger get a work-out from rewinding and starting the tape again and again. LOL
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

That sounds like fun!! Ya know something.....before I got slapped in the face with FM,I used to dance at home all the time just for the exersize and the fun of it!!God I have'nt moved like that in years!!I remember it feeling good!!!I'd love to try that again! Shake your bootie!!
    Love,
    Tracey
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All over the house, with the kids, with the dogs, whatever. I had a smooth-moving graceful body. Now, my balance is bad and I am clumsy. I am hoping that this improves a lot of things for me. I want my graceful, athletic body back.

Love, Mikie
  6. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

It sounds like a lot of fun! I loved to dance, but not anymore. I danced at my 40th b-day this past summer and about killed myself. Between tripping over my two left feet and losing my balance, I was quite the site. My friends got a good laugh at least.

I'm trying a mini-stepper by Denise Austin. I think it might be the thing for me.

Good luck :) Lisa
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that we keep moving, whatever the method. I still have my old Jane Fonda tape, along with the original "Buns of Steel" which I still do. I have my health club membership on hold because it's just too much trouble to drive there and work out anymore. I have some weights, bands, steps, and tapes here at home and can get a variety of workouts depending on what I feel like.

I do need to get my bike to the shop for new tubes. When I blew them up, they both burst and the neighbors came running as they thought I had shot someone. They are so funny. They're from Mass. and aren't used to living around guns.

I also walk, swim, and do water aerobics to keep in shape. Even when I'm bedridden (seldom anymore) I do flexes and stretches. I absolutely refuse to give in to these illnesses as long as I can lift a finger (the one I use to stop, rewind, and play the tapes :)

Love, Mikie
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Good for you,Mikie! I have many tapes like this, and after yrs. of using them, the only one I can't do now without pain is Jane Fonda...she's a real punisher!
    If you are interested in helping your balance, I have found Jazzercise to have the best exercises for that, usually as part of the warm up and cool down sections. They try to please all people however, so the music they choose is usually boring.
    I am in love with my treadmill, since I can select my own music, whatever suits my mood. However, it is still hurting my lumbar area, and I had x-rays last week cause it got so bad.
    Good luck to you,
    Klutzo