Getting Cortisone Shot in neck...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lanie, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Wed. and I am scared to death! I have had a lot of pain stemming from a spot in my neck, which feels like a pinched nerve, but cannot be seen by MRI, since my accident. My Rheumy wants to give me the shot and I am a nervous wreck about it. I got one from an ortho within a year after my accident, and I was couch bound for days after. My rheumy thinks orthos suck and says he is an old pro at this.

I wanted to know all of your experiences with this. Is it worth it?
    Thanks,
    Lanie
  2. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Wed. and I am scared to death! I have had a lot of pain stemming from a spot in my neck, which feels like a pinched nerve, but cannot be seen by MRI, since my accident. My Rheumy wants to give me the shot and I am a nervous wreck about it. I got one from an ortho within a year after my accident, and I was couch bound for days after. My rheumy thinks orthos suck and says he is an old pro at this.

I wanted to know all of your experiences with this. Is it worth it?
    Thanks,
    Lanie
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Lanie,

I have had cortisone shots. They are not so bad from my experience. It sounds much worse than my actual experience. In my case, the cortisone did not help due to bone death...didn't know it was bone death at the time...have had an auto bone graft since and the bone is alive and healthy now! The great thing about the cortisone is that it will quickly shrink any inflamation that may be causing you discomfort. There are many pros and cons out there. I did not make a habit of these shots and I was willing to accept the treatment.

Take good care Lanie...Jan
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Good question...I have FM, in addition to a couple of bulging discs in my cervical vertebrae. I had two cortisone shots three weeks apart in my neck this summer. The shots themselves weren't bad, but be prepared for a recovery that may be longer than the norm for "regular folks". I found I was in pain for several days afterward; not really my neck, even, but my upper back & shoulder muscles---I think the FM makes anything going thru the muscle layers much more traumatizing for us. The post-shot instruction sheet said to go home & rest, but no problem working the next day---NOT! I know I couldn't have done anything normal for about 3 days afterward, took vicodin for the first 24 hrs. Now----was it worth it? Actually, yes! I would say my neck pain has been reduced by about 80%. Occasionally I sleep on it funny & have a bad "neck" day. But it's much better. So, my advice would be to ask many questions in advance & just be prepared that you might not be able to pop up like toast afterward & take on the world---give yourself time to really recover. And, you may have an easier time of it than I did; we are all so different in our pain tolerance, etc.

Good luck, Lanie!

Pam

5. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Although I don't like the long-term effects of cortisone, I was very pleasantly surprised to feel better (back pain-wise) for more than a year after having them in my lumbar spine. My neuro is now also recommending them for my neck, and according to a very good Chronic Pain book I read, they can often be very effective. Hope it's a good choice for you. BonBons
  6. JodyMills

JodyMills Guest

Hi Lanie

I've had numerous cortisone shots in both my neck and my lower back due to disk problems and pinched nerves. I have never had any problems from them, only relief from severe pain.

The cortisone shot somewhat burns/is hot. However, I was in so much pain at the time, I would have tried anything for relief from the pain.

I wish you the best.
    Jody
  7. wander

wander New Member

Not sure if you are talking about trigger point injections. I have had them several times from my Rheumy. as many as 8 to 10 at a time. the amount of cortisone used does not go through the body systemicaly. The inj. is given at the site of tender points which lead to the trigger points they are hidden and refer pain to other parts of the body, Mine have been effective and have lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks plus. they are not pleasant to get but they have worked for me.
    Good luck
    Wander
  8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Bonbons...What do you mean by saying you don't like the long term effects of cortisone? What are they?

I really wanted to know what to expect. Would I be layed up for a few days like last time? Is it worth it? Well, you all really answered my questions. Thanks so much. I am kinda wishing it was scheduled for the end of the week now though instead of Wed. I don't have anyone to help me during the week with the kids. I also have been watching a 1y/o to help supplement our income. As most of you know, they are not easy on ya. lol

Thanks again...
    Best wishes,
    Lanie