Getting more painful to stand and walk....Does it go away or get worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by imabeatlelover, Dec 8, 2008.

1. imabeatlelover

imabeatlelover New Member

Lately I have had the most horrible pain in my left hip, buttock, lower back and outside thigh and can only stand for a few minutes before it gets so bad I have to sit down again. That side of my body is so terribly sore to the touch too. It seems this darn stuff is getting more severe as time goes on. This is getting VERY scary. Does this ever get so bad that anyone has to use a wheelchair to get around? I go in for my "Christmas Epidural" this coming Friday for my Degenerative Disc Disease and always look forward to it because at first I thought I was crazy but not only do the epidurals help the disc pain but they also seem to calm down the Fibro for a few weeks. I mentioned it to my Dr. and he told me I wasn't crazy. That the epidural I get is a steroid injection and the steroid actually helps the Fibro pain too. I go in for 4 injections a year so I don't have back spasms and always save my last one for right before Christmas so my Holiday will be more enjoyable. But not being able to stand or walk is really scaring me though....I had no idea that Fibro can get this bad! Is this common?

Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all of you!
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I think you may have a sciatia nerve problem. When you get the shot, ask if you can get physical therapy to try to stop this particular, devastating symptom, ok?

Also, for now, get a rolling pin and run it up and down your buttock, hip and thigh with pressure: have someone do it for you if need be.
    Then lie on floor and pull that knee up as far as you can, without making the pain worse, and hold it for 15 seconds. Do this 5 times to both legs. If a nerve is trapped, this will sometimes free it up and help you.

The rolling pin is also great for the feet and calves. I think it must loosen up to "fascia", especially on the soles of the feet, which so often gets "stuck" in FM patients.

Do you have Dr. Devin Starlanyl's latest book for FM myofascial pain? You might find great suggestions in there.

Hope you get some relief soon, and can enjoy the holidays!

3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

My FMS gets this bad all the time. Some of the things that have been mentioned used to help me but I'm worse now and they don't anymore. I'm mostly bedridden and I end up in a wheelchair for days if I try to push through it. The less I do and just relax the better it is but as soon as I get up to do something it comes back with a vengeance most of the time. Some days I can do more without as much pain.

I agree that it's scary.

4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi there Pat. I haven't posted for a real long time. Came back and *Poof* the old board is gone. I don't care for this one as well, but anyway...

I am experiencing the same as you. I have been told that my pain could be contributed to the bursitis I have in both hips. But I also have 2 herniation's (non-operable), arthritis and DDD in my back. SO, I feel your pain.

The only thing that helps me at all is to stretch my hip. I sit with my right leg crossed on top of my left, then bend forward til I feel the stretch in my lower back and hip. Sometime I do it if I can get on the floor (and get back up).

I am on 15mg morphine in AM and 30 mg in PM, but I still have to take anti-inflam's to help with the hip pain. I have no insurance and desperately need an injection in my hip. My charity program runs out Dec 28th and I cant get appt with ortho doc til Jan 16th.

I wish you the best!