getting my son off amitriptyline need naturall help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Dec 2, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

my sons been taking amitriptyline for a year to prevent migrains and help his mood swings, it worked at frist but now it dosent the neuro wants him to up his dose from 2 10 mg to 3 mg everynight well that just made him not want to get up in the morning didnt help with the migrains which now he has 4 or more a week the kind that put you in bed!this neuro will no longer be seeing him so she wont change the med she says wait until the end of jan when he sees his new neuro but hes sufferibg so bad, the midrin he takes when he has a migrians barley working either,and sense the neuro wont help i wanted suggustions on how to get him off the amitriptyline and something natuall he can take insted for both the migrains and the mood swings i thought about st johns wort and feverfew ? but realy need help ,also
    any suggustion also anything natual for back pain he has 2 buldging disk that have been causing him a grate deal of pain lately and hes allergic to motrin and with all the tylonal in midrian i didnt want to give him anymore of that because he had some ?able liver test,
    thanks kara
    ps he only 13,
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

my sons been taking amitriptyline for a year to prevent migrains and help his mood swings, it worked at frist but now it dosent the neuro wants him to up his dose from 2 10 mg to 3 mg everynight well that just made him not want to get up in the morning didnt help with the migrains which now he has 4 or more a week the kind that put you in bed!this neuro will no longer be seeing him so she wont change the med she says wait until the end of jan when he sees his new neuro but hes sufferibg so bad, the midrin he takes when he has a migrians barley working either,and sense the neuro wont help i wanted suggustions on how to get him off the amitriptyline and something natuall he can take insted for both the migrains and the mood swings i thought about st johns wort and feverfew ? but realy need help ,also
    any suggustion also anything natual for back pain he has 2 buldging disk that have been causing him a grate deal of pain lately and hes allergic to motrin and with all the tylonal in midrian i didnt want to give him anymore of that because he had some ?able liver test,
    thanks kara
    ps he only 13,
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Don't know--alot about this....but did want to tell you something I read about the St. John's Wort just last nite.
    I was researching Bi Polar Disorder---
    St. Johns Wort--is strongly contra-indicated with this.
    Since mood swings and migraines are part of this serotonin problem...I would err on the side of caution.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

But I've only been on it for about 7 months and was on 10 mg. at night to help me sleep. How much did you say he takes? I really wouldn't mess around with that stuff, very powerful stuff for being such a small pill! I had gone up to 25mg. at the most, then kinda up and down and then kept it at 10 mg. because I was gaining too much weight. But by then it wasn't helping with my sleep anymore like it used too, so I just decided to stop taking it. If he's taking a lot of it, I would not recommend him coming off of it by himself. I believe you are supposed to wean yourself off. Definitely find another doctor to help you with that.

Since coming off, I've been feeling horrible myself, incredibly moody, crying spells, headaches (still), stomach cramps, insomnia, flu-like symptoms, but it's hard to know if any of this is an amitriptyline withdrawal or if it's plain old CFS kicking my butt again. Plus I just came off Depo-Provera a few months ago and I definitely think a lot of this is from the hormone shock I'm going through too.

I take Fioricet #3 for my migraines/chronic bad headaches which help somewhat to take the edge off but I usually have to sleep off a migraine. Midrin didn't work with me either. Although, sometimes benadryl with my tylenol will help my migraines.

Also, Sam-E worked very well for my moods and gave me energy to boot. I was just thinking of going on that again but thought I'd wait till after a doctor's appt. I have on Dec. 10th first.

Good luck, I hope he feels better.
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

ok no st johns
    benadryls out because hes alergic to that too
    hes actually trying to refuse to take it i have to make him
    maybe sam e will help the moodswings (there bad ones not just normal teenage stuff)
    thanks for the suggustion

jellybelly
    do you need a prescibtion for the oxgen? ill ask his reg dr or mine i want to try it to dr about it his reg dr wont have anything to do with the amitripline he thinks he should not have been put on that to begin with
    im also nursing right now if the oxgen dosent work for your daughter there are a few meds she can safley take if she has a sever migrian
    which ive had to take because natural remides usally give me migrians
    they gave me indocin to try and prevent them but autumn had bad gas so i stopped it

i took tylonal 3 which didnt have any effect on autumn did help migrians but not always

also now if need i take fiorcet without the codine shes had no bad effects from that either,i actually took this well nursing my now 9 year old also,but it always dosent get rid of all the pain but it made it so i can fuction

also a few time i have had to take maxalt but they didnt help me at all
    also a couple of times ive rubbed icey hot on my head where it hurt and it helped alittle,
    she can also ask her pharamacy they have helped me alot

please no one blast me for taking meds while nursing if i could make it without them i would but im not a very good mom when i cant get out of bed except to vomit because the pains so bad.

kara
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]