getting off sleep meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Feb 2, 2007.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

hi
    i've been using trazodone for the longest time. Wld like to try some alternative sleep remedies.

Don't respond well to melatonin.

Any ideas, experiences?

tnx
    delia
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Delia,

Trazadone!! I loved it at first than it become my worst enemy. I suffered every adverse effect listed on the bottle. It gave me the jitters & all the other side effectsI have been off since 1-25 & still am not weened off.

That stuff stays in your system from 7-14 days is what I was told so I am still suffering from it. I hope by Monday this monday my birthday by the way it's all out of my system. What a horrible drug.

I have seen a lot of people doing well on it but I was not one of them.

Talk to your doctor about it if you are looking to get off of it & see what he says.

Man what a world of trouble..Good luck.

your friend,
    Fun

3. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

I have used 5 HTP for several years. It is a supplement that you can purchase here at Pro Health or at your local health food store. Some people take it just at bed time and some take it spread throughout the day. I also take it as an anti-depressant, so I take it in the morning, at lunch and then at bedtime. I usually take 50 to 100 mg. about 30 minutes before I go to bed. It is recommended to take it with juice, preferably grape juice as it helps with the absorption. If you take an anti-depressant RX, you should discuss it with your doctor before you take 5 HTP. I know some people who do take both, but usually under the advice of their doctor. I do take the anti-anxiety medication (Xanex) with the 5 HTP and I have not had any interactions and my MD is aware that I take both. Good luck.