Getting on top of my fibromyalgia with yoga

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by -Jimbo-, Aug 9, 2005.

1. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

Hi, just joined and thought I'd share with you what i recently discovered - yoga. I'm 36 by the way and have been off work for 13 years. Recently for the first time, I got support from a doctor. thus my life became stable enough to concentrate on a physical assult to try and blow this fibromyalgia off. Here's the highlights.

YOGA - It's really loosening up and strengthening my neck (which I believe to be the cause of my fibromyalgia).
    These are the positions:
    http://www.hindunet.org/yogasanas/ardha_matsyendrasan.htm
    http://www.hindunet.org/yogasanas/pavanmuktasan.htm
    http://www.hindunet.org/yogasanas/matsyasan.htm (CAREFULL!)
    http://www.hindunet.org/yogasanas/bhujangasan.htm

I spent £2000 on chiropractors in the past 2 years and as soon as I discovered yoga, I never went back (although I haven't written off chiropractive just yet). Chiropractic has been excellent in freeing up parts of my spine which were just 'stuck'.

I'm doing an hours exercise a day in conjuntion with yoga by the way swimming one day and jogging the next. When swimming, I do crawl and breast stroke in alternate lengths for an hour and I'm sure this combination is healing me, re-aligning my neck/cranium.

Running was my first experiment to see if that would help. It just clenses my body and I feel great for it. My run is just over 5 miles, up and down five tors (On Dartmoor) Extreme I know but I'm addicted now. This is a tor by the way: http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/pix/kingtor/k2.jpg[This Message was Edited on 08/09/2005]
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy New Member

Is this a joke? A five mile run with FMS? I can walk 50 yards on a very good day.
    Well, I love Dartmoor but haven't been there for 20 years - it's just not wheelchair friendly. Thanks for the yoga sites tho.
  3. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

I know this sounds like a joke, but I am in an unusual situation. I moved right next to the moors and my land lady has a dog, so I just started to walk the dog, then to jog it was just the perfect situation. I then started to force myself harder and harder. This was all combined with concentrated chiropractic visits. Believe me, it is extremely grewelling I am actually putting an imense amount of effort into it but this is what I worked up to slowly. I'm sitting here though with a lot of myofacial pain and tmj and I get bad fibrofog still, so I feel I still have a way to go but am confident with the results so far that I'm going to get there, to be pain free with all my ligaments properly stretched and my spine able to function properly. I feel though that the yoga has been so helpful that I thought I should share it.

Anyway, regards to you all and thanks for the welcome
  4. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

The whole of my body used to hurt but especially my spine and neck, but having exercised, concentrating on week spots, I do feel a lot more pain free and definately a lot happier. What is left is neck problems still, myofacial and jaw pain, parts of the body not exercised until recently when I started yoga. I feel the benefits of this already. I'm sure I'll have to get into jaw and face stretching (LOL) to tackle the facial pain. I'll definately let people know of any positive results.
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I still downhill ski. I just pay for it later in increased pain. I think it makes a difference if you JUST have FMS versus FMS and CFS. I am not fatigued at all, just in pain, though it is controlled for the most part by meds.

I congratulate you on your success with this DD. I have a yoga tape that I need to be doing. The tape I have is called Armchair yoga and is geared toward older people with arthritis. I highly recommend it as a place to start with yoga as it is very gentle. If you do a search, you can find it online. It is pretty pricey, but well worth the money!

Take care, Sally

P.S. Forgot to welcome you to the board! Please keep us updated on your progress.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  6. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

I do Pilates.... found it much easier than yoga... and it has helped in the past. I haven't had the discipline to stay focused on pilates since my flare up a few months ago but I am looking forward to getting back into it. I also was doing 5 miles a day on the treadmill, but walking at a fast pace, not running. My knees give out if I run.

So glad yoga is helping you and others.

Thanks for the information on the Tor.... nice!!
  7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

What kind of yoga would be more helpful to a FMS/CFS person do you think?

There are so many forms of it that I don't know which one to try.
  8. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

I have been doing Iyangar yoga for about 5 months. I go to a yoga studio who knows my condition and works with me. I, too, can say that it helps. It in no way takes care of all my problems, but it does help with alignment in the spine, head, neck. And, it feels great!

From what I've read the Iyangar type yoga works best for us. You tend to stay in poses longer and really feel the stretch.

Our studio owner said if you take classes at a gym to be careful as they tend to "move quicker" and it's harder on fribo people.

Brenda
    Atlanta, GA
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy New Member

Apologies Jimbo (are you named after the little plane?) for thinking that this was a wind up. It's great that you can run now. You certainly live in a beautiful place.

Can you recommend a UK yoga video aimed at old crocks please?
  10. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

I do sound a bit gung-ho about it I know but I'm extremely driven. But that's another story.
  11. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

Don't know of any videos but pilates is a gentler form of yoga and a lot of people do it so there's sure to classes locally and a myriad of videos I'm sure.