Getting prescription refills has me in tears once again BAD DAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Jan 24, 2007.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Just trying to get my prescriptions refilled has me in tears again. I swear, almost EVERY time I have to get a prescription refilled, either the pharmacy or the doctor has something to make drama about and make things difficult for me, which usually results in me having to go without my medicines.

It's a long story but basically I feel like I am ALWAYS put in the middle between the pharmacy and the doctors office, have to be making calls to both offices, feeling like I am BEGGING to simply get my prescriptions refilled when they are due to be refilled. Very often I get snide comments like I am not taking my meds responsibly, and they aren't due to be refilled, when I know for sure they are, and I have to go back myself in my calender and calculate the number of days I've had the prescription and the number of pills I'm prescribed to verify this.. which, as you call imagine, is an extremely frustrating task for a Fibro foggy, exhausted, and pained patient.

I am just SO sick of rude doctor's assistants or pharmacy techs who treat me in such a humiliating manner. I wish people could understand that this is such a demeaning position to be put it, to have to rely on other people for the tiny bit of comfort that you are trying to get from your life.. it's so humiliating to have to argue over your meds every single time.

I am SO responsible about my meds. I follow to the letter what my doctor and I have discussed, and what he has prescribed to me.. and because of other people's mistakes and mismanagement, I'm made to feel like a criminal. :*(

I seriously feel so awful right now.. If I could stop my meds all together I would. But I can't just writhe around in bed in pain all day. I have to function at least as best I can. I hate this.
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I am so sorry you have to go through being treated like this.
    I wonder about having a letter from your doc with you outlining how HE/SHE wants you to have your meds.

A few times I have been "questioned" about my son's ADD med. The one time I happened to have a letter with me worked like a charm.

I don't know other than that. I really feel for you.

Spacee
  3. winsomme

winsomme New Member

my sister has the same problem for her meds and add in the insurance company for good measure.

they all point the finger at each other and no one takes responsibility.

all i can say is that i have seen it happen so many times, and the fact that they put sick people in these positions is shameful.

my sister has gotten very good at keeping her records of letters from doctors and ins Co's and most of the time that does the trick.

4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I'm so sorry :( This is the last thing anyone who's sick and on meds needs. Especially when YOU know you're being responsible, etc. Wish I had some helpful advice...but I know others will probably have some good ideas.

Anyway, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this! --Tina
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I am so sorry you have to go thru that. I take both clonopin and xanax, and was having them both refilled last month and someone said "you take both of them?" in a questioning voice. I too am very careful with my meds and I hate feeling like some kind of drug addict. Hang in there, it is not your fault. People are getting so rude it is all I can do to keep my mouth shut when I hear ignorance.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks guys :) I was in tears for over an hour earlier, because of problems with both my pharmacy making mistakes, and my doctor's office's receptionist (who calls in the refills) being SO rude to me, once again. She almost always is rude and short with me over the phone when I'm trying to get a refill, or check on the status of something that hasn't been done, so that for months I've been scared to call in to the office for fear that she will be the one answering the phone.

My mom wrote a letter to the doctor to let him know the specifics of why there has been confusion between his office and the pharmacy, as well as let him know of the rudeness of his employee, and she apparently intercepted the fax, read it, and after formerly calling the pharmacy to okay my pain med refill, she called AGAIN, spoke directly with the pharmacist and CANCELLED it, plus inquired about the dates of me refills.

Needless to say tomorrow will be a major day, trying to get a hold DIRECTLY to my doctor, to settle this matter, AND to decide whether I will even continue with his office in the future. He is a great doctor, and his practice is the best in the area (as far as doctors being very informed in the latest of Fibromyalgia research), but this stuff with his receptionist is ridiculous, and I can't have this kind of stress whenever I need to get a medication.

Oh and thank you all for the idea to have my doctor write out a letter about my medication, and how it is to be administered. That is an excellent idea, and I will ask him to do it at my apppointment.
  7. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Butterfly...I never knew what it was like for people in pain to get bad treatment form anyone...doctors, nurses, assistants, pharmacy people...until now.

I am a grown 55 year old man...and I gotta tell ya...half the time I am in so much pain and so exhausted and down right scared from so many things exploding on me starting one year ago...I feel like crying myself. I really do!

This experience has made me much more religious. I pray every day. It's all I have to get me through...since the docs don't have any answers. And throw in financial ruin on top of this? Now, I know what hurting people are going through in this country. And you are one of them. I'm
    praying for you right now too. JB
  8. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I just hate reading that you are having such problems. Most doctors would want to know about rude employees, so I suggest you bring a copy of the letter your mother wrote, and present it to him and ask if he ever received it. Tell him that it is not just once that his employee has made rude comments to you, or made it difficult for you to get your prescriptions refilled.

Good luck to you, and I hope that you are able to get in touch directly with the doctor. Ask him how you should handle these type of problems in the future...tell him how much you value his service, but that you simply will not deal with this rude empoyee, who is a representative of his practice. Hope you will be pleasantly surprised at what he says to you.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  9. netnut

netnut New Member

I hate dealing with med problems.

I dont have much help to offer but one thing that I have found to help me keep organized because I am so disorganized is using the calender feature on my email. I use aol email and I can program it to alert me so many days before my rx runs out so I can notify someone that I need a refill. You could do it for each med you take or just do it all for one time a month if you get all your meds at one time. If you take the time at the beginning of the month to figure out when the med should be due for a refill then you wont have to scramble at the end.

Hope this helps.
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I just recently switched to a different pharmacy, cause the pharmacy that I was using did not have their act together. They denied me my med. once, I was not abusing it at all. It was time for me to get it filled. They made a humiliating remark in front of other clients waiting in line, I just almost cried, then just turned and walked out.

I had to call my doctor's nurse. She called me back furious, saying that no one has the right to deny a patient their med.s' except a doctor. She called the pharmacy and chewed them a little. It was in no way my fault. I don't know what their problem was.

They also gave me someone else's med. one time and met me half way in the store so that no one would see what they had done. I should have brought that back up to them, about how I could have easily embarresed them, but I did not.

I know what you mean. I know that pharmacy tech's are not perfect, but when you are dealing with one's med. you are dealing with their life.

Giving someone someone else's medicine and denying one their med. when they have in no way abused it is wrong.

I have had my fair share of this crap myself. It is no fun being in the middle trying to prove you are not a dope head you are SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kriket
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just recently I have had this problem...it is so humiliating and so tiring to deal with this.

I am sorry for your predicament...know that others share this experience.

Sue
  12. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I feel so bad for you!! I get my Meds refilled on line and delivered to me. Can you do that? Find out if it is an option?
    They shouldn't treat you that way!! I have read a lot of good ideas from this group like asking for the refill by date being put on the bottle. Ask for this.!!
    CindyVR
  13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear Butterfly

((((HUGS)))) to you! I would love to go to your doctor's office and ring that receptionist's neck for you. And then do the same thing to the pharmacy tech. What they are doing is absolutely uncalled for. You are the patient, you are entitled to your medicine, and you deserve dignity and respect.

Some people have such lousy lives that what little power they have, they just want to try to make people miserable. I feel very sorry for such people and on your behalf, I feel angry.

If at all possible, I would switch pharmacies and as much of a pain as it is, I would write formal complaint to the head person there or have your mom speak to the head person in charge, letting them know how completely unacceptable the behavior of the pharmacy techs have been and that you will be telling others (pharmacies do not like losing business--bad word of mouth is not good).

Also, I don't know what the best option is re: the receptionist, but she is not doing her job and whoever her boss is, whether it is the doctor or someone else on staff at the medical center needs to be informed. Not only is she rude, but she is not following direct orders to call in a prescription for a patient who needs medicine. That is negligent and failing to perform a basic job duty. She needs to be reported.

Hope it goes smoothly and that you get peace of mind soon. Let us know how it goes.

Warm hugs, Erika
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterfly:

I am so sorry you are going through this ordeal.
    It might be OK, though. I coordinate my scipts and call them in when needed.

They have one of those phones where you can just dial in the prescrition on the phone by choosing the right button.

It is so difficult that sometimes I feel like changing doctors.

nyrofan
  15. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I know exactly what you are going through. As far as the problems w/ the doctors employees, do what I did. I called & asked for the physician to call me back ASAP. At the end of the day, he did. I told him his employees were laughing at me & basically making fun of the way I talk (I have Sjogrens, & had no moisture in my mouth, so words were "cutting out" during the conversation.) He apologized, said that they had problems w/ this particular employee before, & that he would handle it.
    The next day, the office manager called me, & asked me to write a letter stating everything that happened, so they could put this in her file. They ended up holding an employee meeting for everyone, & this girl got written up, & spoken to by the physician. One more x, she's out. They also told me that anytime I am due for checkup, etc, she would not be handling anything that has to do w/ me, so I don't have to see her. She would never be in the rooms w/ me either. Have had no problems since.
    I hope this helps a little. I'm so sorry you had a cruddy day!! Mine was 2 days ago :) Feel better soon! (hugs!)Hang in there.