Getting ready to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawkeye, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I am getting geared up to finally quit smoking.

I was curious to know if anyone else has quit this horrible habit and if so did you find that your fibro symptoms improved? I am trying to find some motivation to get through the tough spots.

I already am pumped up for my overall health and for money that I will save but I was curious on the pain issues.

2. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Good for you!!! I can't answer your question because I haven't found the strength to tackle that issue yet, but I feel it coming. If you feel like posting about it you can sure count on me for encouragement! I wish you all the luck in the world !

Are you planning on using any meds or anything to help?
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I am very proud of you for making this decision to try and quit. I am behind you 100%!!!!!

Good Luck!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I quit last year for 5 months and yes, I did feel better.

I used a completely natural stop smoking patch called NicoCure that you can get online.

It caused no side effects whatsoever, except to say that it made smoking taste terrible and you can smoke while wearing the patch which leads to eventually just stopping.

It worked wonderfully....almost too easy, but I did ask my doc for Zyban to help give me a kick too. I'm a heavy smoker and have been for over 30 years. Easily 2 packs a day.

Unfortunately I started again while under extreme stress, stopped one more time for about 2 weeks then decided that with all the stress I have at home, that it just wasn't time for me.

Although to some it may be just an excuse, my daughter is very mentally ill and it's been a few months of discovery watching her slip away and watching her realize how much her life has changed due to the mental illness. She's now disabled and knows it, and we're taking steps to take over guardianship of her and get her disability.

Also, I took the money I would have spent on cigs and started buying supplements here at Pro Health which really gave me much of my life back. I also started treating myself to a monthly facial.

Best of luck to you,

Nancy B
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

about smoking and quitting last year. Several people had good things to say about a natural patch. I think it was Nicocure that Nancy mentioned.

Couple people said pretend smoking w/ a straw, pen, etc. also helped.

I used to be a social smoker. Only smoked when I played cards, was at a party, etc. Smoked a pack a week. I quit last June.

Since I had a habbit but not a chemical addiction it was no trouble to stop.

Good luck to everybody who is trying to quit.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Thanks for all your support I really appreciate it.

I quit in July for a very short period of time, I took a stop smoking class through my work. It is the same class the American Lung Association has and a lot of hospitals use it. It was fun and I learned a bit but at this point in my life I know all about the things they taught me I just have to be ready and I wasn't ready then. My son was in bootcamp with the Marine Corp. and I quit one week before I left on a trip to San Diego to watch him graduate, I had my 72 year old diabetic Father and my 15 year old twin boys with me so by the time I got home from that trip and dealing with the pain and frustration of fibro., the excitement and stress of spending 2 entire days on the base in the blazing hot sun and taking care of my Father I could not wait to get home and buy a pack of cigarettes and the rest is history...I have been smoking nonstop since...but I am so ready to quit.

I have decided to quit on Tuesday the 16th. I am off work tomorrow for the holiday and I don't want to ruin a perfect day off by putting myself through day one of quitting. I do much better during the week since I don't ever smoke at work anyway.

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your support in this because I am really scared of failure and I want to quit so badly.

7. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm all for it. I smoke for 25 years about a pack of day, couldn't smoke at work.

I turned 40 and my grandson was born and I had a horrible case of bronchititis. I usually get a fews in the hospital 3 out 4 times.

I was too sick to somke and had been thinking about because they were moving up to 3 buck a pack. I never smoked another cigarette after that.

Darkwaters has excellent options. If you are already afreaid your going to failed then you will. We bring to us what we fear the most.

Make it a positive not a negative. You are not giving up part of you, you are giving your family and yourself a better life and healthier life smoke free, take the money and do something special. DO you really know how much you spend on cigs a day, a month, then a year. Do it, you will be amazed.

I will get off my soap box but smoking does not do one positive thing in your life, it is taking your life from you- Good luck-Carla Smoke free 12 years
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Carla that is exactly what I think about smoking. It does not give me anything positive whatsoever and it is robbing me of my health. I know my kids hate that makes me feel very bad.

I am going to remain very positive and once again you guys are a great sorce of inspiration and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Tomorrow is the day and I am ready!
  9. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I am so proud of you!! How is it going?
    I have tried atleast 6 times to quit!! The longest being 6 monthes!!
    I use the patch but I have an allergic reaction to them and the sight itches so bad I end up taking it off and scratching!! Told this to a Dr. he said to take benadryll.
    I was wondering if two stop smoking aides could be used at the same the patch and the gum?
  10. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

You have a lot of support here, if you need it,
    quitting is very hard, I know, but I think once a person makes their mind to quit they can.

I quit 20 years ago, it was rough but I did it, now the smell makes me sick, funny how that is.

I got tired of the yellow fingers, yellow curtains, and my clothes and hair smelling like nictoine.
    My son would tell me I stunk, Kid's, lol

Good luck, not sure how much it will help the pain, because I quit before the FMS set in for good.
    But it sure can Help, you to feel better all over.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Well...I made it through day one with no problem. I modified my day a bit, I stayed in at work during my lunch hour because that is always my first smoking time of the day, I always would smoke one cigarette on my way home for lunch, one after I ate and one on the way back so I decided if I stay at work for lunch for a while that will get rid of that trigger and sure enough it worked like a charm. I did have a lot more problems getting through the evening but I did it!! One entire day without smoking!! woo hoo now it is on to day 2.

12. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Way to go Karen, I admire you. Keep posting to us and when you are ready to pull your hair out... our a cig for that matter... maybe we can talk you out of it.

GREAT FOR YOU!! Hardest thing to do... YOU GO GIRL! One day down!
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

I used to smoke, BTW, but only with a drink in my hand. Without the alcohol as a "buffer", I didn't much care for it.

When I got ill, smoking and drinking were impossible. I couldn't sit up, couldn't move, couldn't hardly talk, couldn't feed myself, etc. So smoking and drinking ended there; that was 4 years ago. And I won't start either of them back up, ever.

But I have changed the way I feel about sitting around, relaxing, while doing nothing. I used to want to have something to do while just sitting there, like have a glass of wine and a cigarette. But now, I'm used to how it feels to just sit and relax and enjoy how I feel and what it feels like to be alive.

As ridiculous as it sounds, that's what you need to get used to. Just sitting, breathing, looking around, feeling yourself relaxed, and doing nothing. Go outside, stare at the clouds and think about your breathing for awhile. Instead of being uncomfortable with your "boring" feeling, dive into it and think about it. Why is it so "boring"? It's really just habit at this point. And we've all heard that habits take 21 days to break.

Your thought pattern of "boredom" is the thought pattern you need to change. It makes you want to "add something" to you just sitting there, like a cigarette. Boredom is a strange state of mind, it is a means of ignoring this miracle we cause consciousness, as if it were annoying rather than enjoyable. But it is the thinking itself that causes either the "boredom" (gee, I want a cigarette or just SOMETHING to focus on besides just me), or the "enjoyment" (wow, what a great view of the clouds and sunset, I'm glad I'm alive).

All the previous suggestions are good and will work and you should do them, but if you don't get rid of the habit pattern of thinking "I'm bored with consciousness, a cigarette or something will cure it", then you will remain uncomfortable with your solitary, relaxed self. Remember, it is just a habitual thinking pattern and can be changed but you have to actually "change" it, not just hope it changes or wait for it to do so by itself. It is a habit buried deep in your subconscious and that's when affirmations and repetitive phrases come in handy.

For example, think to yourself over and over: "wow, consciousness is really cool, existence is a good feeling all by itself". You may already believe these things but you need to get yourself in the habit of thinking them and drowning out the "I'm bored, I'm reaching for a cure for it, a cigarette" thought.

So go outside when it's nice out, stare at the clouds and wonder why you are willing to let yourself become "bored" and let the "here and now" of life pass you by.

Refuse to let your brain take over and allow you to be too "lazy" to change your own thinking. The brain doesn't like to change thought patterns and will fight you, don't give in! Remember, 21 days!

good luck to you,

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I failed!!

I had the worst week at work, they fired one of my direct co-workers. We were down one (out of 4 of us) already because one of the girls was on vacation so......I only made it to the evening of the first day.

Isn't that sad? LOL

I am going to pick up on the quiting again I think on Monday with the help of a nicotine replacement product and more willpower.

I am not beating myself up over it I am just picking another quit day (possibly Monday) and trying AGAIN.

15. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

You did NOT fail. Many studies have shown that it takes more than one try to really quit.

Pick another quit date and go for it!!!! I know you can do it !

We are all pulling for you.

16. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It's not easy, that's for sure.
    You have the right idea tho, to start again,
    after all

what follows failure, Sucess , now if only I could sp it, lol,

Really, you stumble at times, and I am glad to see that your not going to let that throw you.

Why are you waiting for Monday, do you think it'll be better at work then trying at home?

My DH still smokes, so he has to sit out on the porch, and as cold as it has been here in So Ca., he's cut back, on the weekends.
    During the work week, he has to do a lot of LA Frwy driving, and he says he can't take the added stress,
    so he just smokes his head off, going from one Client to another.

I hope those QS-Aids work for you, and we will keep right on supporting you.

17. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

18. YOUR post, just lit the biggestttt fire in my a$$! LOL (In a good way! TY)
    One way to get me* to stop, is mention big companies. I'm sooo DOWN with our gov. Being a disabled veteran, who's recruiter lied his a## off, on TWO things, that would have disqualified me for entry, only for me to break down, constantly physically, via injury, constant sickness (bronchitis, conjunctivitis, stress reactions/fractures in knees, hips, ankles, etc, lied to about 'oh, you'll gain 8-10 lbs, "BUT IT'S MUSCLE"-

HA! yea, 8-10 lbs WAS....the other *16lbs* pure fat. Of course, the MRE's, (Meals Ready to Eat) are uh...3,000 calories a piece..and sometimes we ate them once a day, some twice, and sometimes 3 meals a day, several days, out in the field..)

I developed allergies (of ALL sorts, indoors, outdoors..and FOODS), suffered a heat stroke, "2nd degree" sun poisoning on both hands (scarred) because, it went untreated, since I was only 1 of 2 field medics on hand, I couldn't be driven the 40 miles to the hospital for tx. On TOP of the 2nd degree sun poisoning (did YOU know it came in degrees? I didn't...but, guess it's a burn...and I know burns have many degrees..) anyways, right* on top of both burned hands...I got 1.) poison ivy--and they should have KNOWN! I at LEAST contaminated the blood pressure cuff..thus probably gave many an infantry soldier poison ivy.., and....I also knelt down (to take cover, during a livefire exercise the infantry was doing)...right in a FIRE ANT hill! EEK! LOL

I'm just disgusted with drug co.'s gas prices, military, u name it. LOL..

Hubby and I are "talking" about quitting too...I did before, for 4 months..but EVERYONE in my family was smoking..and one* x-mas dinner...with all of us together...I started right back up...

As far as pain/ mother & stepfather quit about 2-3 yrs ago... mom has diabetes, diverticulitis, fibro, and other stuff.. and, at least, for my MOM...she said she SLEEPS better, since having'd think better sleep would be less pain...and I do believe she has more 'better' days than previously.. but, she hurts...a LOT...but a tough woman..

Unfortunately, she and my aunt BOTH were dx'd with emphysema, after* aunt--over 15 yrs after quitting...

That's motivation for me....also, here in Indiana...cigs are getting ready for a $.44 price increase... = $4.40 per carton increase... and welllll over $4 a pack. GENERICS.. hubby & I think of the $$$$ savings $$$ too, along with health..

Glad to see this post, it's added to my inspiration now, thx everyone.