Getting REALLY, REALLY sick of this Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FadedChina, Jul 31, 2008.

1. FadedChina

FadedChina New Member

First of all, after 17 years of diagnosed FMS, this past few days has been the first time I"ve gone searching for support from "others like me!" Somehow, I just made myself beleive that it was humanly impossible to hurt the way I do and still be alive...or at least sane!

Last year, I was in a should've been fatal accident that really impacted my body pain even more than normal PLUS added the stress of a permanent brain injury into the mix. Trying to be a good patient, I did all my physical therapy and blamed myself when the pain, at first continued, and then got worse. With each area of decline, I'd report it to the doctor in hopes of stopping it!!

In these past few weeks, I've become PAINFULLY AWARE (no pun intended)of a trend in my doctor visits. First, he will talk more to my husband to verify if I mean what I am saying (duh), and more DANGEROUSLY, without even much of an exam, he'll tell me that everything I feel is either from the accident and just nerve pain, or it's just from an FMS flare!! Okay, that would explain some things without much worry on my part, but this past time, I was having extreme chest pain along with multiple rounds of inabilty to breathe. THHIS was passed off as "nerve pain in my lungs" and I was given an inhaler to use twice daily to ward off tightening when I breathe.

EXCUSE ME??? I had alot of months after the accident that were hard to breath due to pain, but there hadn't been anytimes when I simply could NOT breathe!! I feel like having FMS is a punishment as everything is automatically blamed on it!! What happens if all this pain really IS a precursor of a heart attack, stroke, something equally as devastating??

Anyone else finding the medical profession likes to blame everything on FMS when half of them don't even agree it's a real disorder??

2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sounds like you need a new doctor.

If you press on your chest does it hurt? That's how ER doc figured I wasn't having heart attack (along with blood tests, etc.) but still sent me to a cardiologist for a workup.

Better to be safe than sorry.

What type of doc is he? I have an Internist and a Nuerologist.

Take care
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

id surely try and find another doctor.
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I am with the others. I would find a new dr. I have had those awful breathing problems. They happened two years in a row and only happened in the summer. I had three pulmonary tests, one at a seperate hospital just to see if it read the same. They ruled out everything. I chalked it up to my fm, not them. This summer, nothing. I can breath just fine. I even tested for Lupus as my sister has it and has the same type of breathing problems but it showed nothing. At least the testing gave me peace of mind. P
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Dr. James Baraniuk's favorite saying (second favorite saying) to a person with CFS/FMS - "You CAN have a broken leg".

I had this type of shortness of breath and chest pain. Truly convinced I was having a heart attack.

It turned out to be two things: took me a couple of months to figure out.

1. One of the things was a rib that had popped out of place. I asked the chiro if that would make me feel like I was having a heart attack and he said yes.

2. I had hypercoagulation - thick blood. Not sure what triggered it - I was around a lot of people.

Starting taking blood thinners (natural) and it took a couple of weeks to get better. Now I have to stop taking the blood thinners for a week before it sort of starts to come back.

I am taking gingko biloba and butchers broom.

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I hope that you come back and that I get a chance to get to know you.

I am basically in the same boat as you except instead of one accident of the type you are speaking of I have been in two.

There is an article on the board today about an article that will be in the Washington post. It was so true and so good that I copied/pasted and sent to many others.

First of all, I would look for another doctor OR I would not take my husband in with me. You are quite capable of speaking for yourself and it is you, not he, who is seeing the doctor.

I literally told my doctor recently that not every problem I come in for is FM related. Furthermore, I wrote him a lot typed 2 page letter that I mailed to him before my last appt. He actually did read it and had it in hand when I went in.

He kept telling me that I had no just cause not to serve on jury duty. Even after my letter he was leaning towards telling me the same and when he started to speak I started shaking my head "No" and then I told him again why not.

Todays doctors are not what they were years ago. I had a really good on in Branson, MO before I came to WA, he was strictly a Diagnotician who did take permanenet patients.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would fire this doctor and find a new set of eyes to look at your entire medical history. Secondly, maybe it would be better to see the doctor alone without your husband as a intermediary.

Doctors need to develop a relationship with the patient and really listen. You don't seem to need someone else to speak for you.

LISALOO New Member

Yes, a lot of times I go to bed and I don't want to wake up. After 4 years of being sick I feel so hopeless.