Getting relief from Topamax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Aug 10, 2003.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

Just wanted to post that I am getting relief from the overall muscle pain and achiness of Fibro and also the odd tingling I have in my lower arms/hands and calves/feet (which they don't know if it's part of fibro for me or not).

Dr. started me on 25 mg at night for several days, working up to 50mg at night and in the morning (well, 12 hours apart).

Side effects of the Topamax so far - carbonated drinks taste really bad... and I am one who rarely drank water, almost all the fluid I drank was diet soda or fruit juice. Now I am drinking only ice water, and loving it. Have decreased appetite, and losing some weight. I swear I have more energy.... but that might be from having less pain. I never used to dream - and I have been having some dreams that make no sense lately. I can live with that!

Last year, tried Neurontin, was up to 3600 mg, and could not think on it, plus gained 30 lbs. Hated that med. Tried various pain meds since then, but hated side effects.

I asked to go on the topamax after reading about it on some of the Fibro boards. Family Dr. said ok, lets try it. Went to Rheumy a week ago and asked her about it.. she said she's having great success with it for her fibro patients. Especially in combination with the Flexeril she already has me on. I take up to five -10 mg tablets a day of Flexeril.... but usually just 2 at night. If I am going to do something that makes me hurt, like working outside, or riding in a car for a long time, I take one before doing the activity.

So it seems, finally after suffering muscle pain for 25 plus years, I am now getting relief. I hope all of you find yourself in this position soon.

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. Good to hear you are getting along well. I have had FM for over 20 years also.

Finally started getting some serious relief about 1 1/2 years ago. I supplements, and they are working just find for me.

You made a great choice drinking plain water instead of the sodas. That was another big plus for me, I started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day, plus a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day, about a year ago. Have not felt this good in ages.

Again, welcome to the board, and do hope we hear from you often.
    Shalom, Shirl