GETTING SHINGLESHURTS LIKE HE##!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jul 12, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I HAVE BEEN ON EDGE ALL DAY. BEEN LAYING ON THE COUCH CRYING AND AM ALL STRESSED OUT. I CAME IN MY ROOM TO GET ON COMPUTER AND THE MOST HORRIBLE PAIN FEELS LIKE IT IS DRILLING INTO MY SKIN. IT IS SHINGLES, I'VE HAD THEM BEFORE. HOPE I CAN GET THEM UNDER CONTROL. THEY HURT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT!!!

KRIKET
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  2. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I am feeling very sorry for you. I can really relate. I've had them more times than I even care to think about right now.

Have you gotten on Valtrex? If you haven't, you need to try to catch them within 48 hours.

There is a wonderful lady on this board, her name is Mikie, who once told me that Tagament is suppose to help also. Keep forgetting to try it, but why not?

Take care, okay?
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Is this OTC or a prescription? Yea, I've had them about 3-4 times over the last 10 yrs. or so. It is amazing what stress can do to you all of a sudden.

Kriket
  4. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

The Valtex is perscription, but the Tagament is OTC
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I AM SURE TO HAVE A BAD OUTBREAK NOW AFTER THE NEWS I JUST GOT!!!!

KRIKET
  6. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I am so, so sorry. I am praying for comfort and stength.

-Penny
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My daughter got shingles in middle school after an outbreak of chicken pox. We couldn't afford the creams, bath treatments, etc, so instead twice a day we would saturate a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and rub it on the infected areas. After it dried I'd break open vitamin E capsules and rub it in. The peroxide would sting at first, but then she said it really helped with the pain.

When we went back to the doctor he said he'd never seen anyone heal so quickly from an attack. I let him think it was his prescriptions that worked since he was not open to alternative treatments. She had no scarring and has never had a recurrence (she's now 28).

Jan
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

So sorry to hear about that, Kriket- I remember how painful they could be- take care of yourself, girl.

I will say a prayer for you.

Janet
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

tagamet and/or acupuncture will help! I'm reposting what I've posted a few times in the past...

I had shingles and besides taking valtrex I also did acupuncture... within 2 hours after first treatment, I was able to go to the bookstore, felt wonderful - no longer feverish, amazingly, as the day before I'd had a fever, blisters had greatly multiplied over prior week, was getting the pain even tho I'd already started the valtrex, etc... had been miserable for a week.

I ALSO have a friend who is afraid of needles who the valtrex did NOT help, a few years ago his shingles was in the groin and the post-herpetic pain (PHN) persisted for 6 months; dire pain!! --esp since it was in THAT area!

I did some research for him, found TAGAMET/cimetidine, unbelievably, can help this condition -- and it WORKED quite well and fast for him!

you can read more about using it for shingles and boosting your immune system at:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/mar2001_report_tagamet_1.html

but here are some excerpts from their article:
    ------------------
    Herpes zoster (shingles)

The most common neurologic condition known is herpes zoster, usually referred to as shingles. The CDC says that up to one million people in the United States contract herpes zoster each year. David Cooper, M.D., a contributing editor to JAMA, stated in 1998 that shingles afflicts more than one million people every year.

Herpes zoster is a reactivation of the virus that causes chicken pox. Once a person has recovered from chicken pox, the virus (varicella) remains dormant, hiding among the connective nerve tissue in the body.

No one seems to know why it occurs, although stress and/or a compromised immune system is thought to exacerbate the condition, but it usually activates in people over the age of 50. Traveling through the ganglia, it causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation.

A couple days later, once the virus has completed its journey to the skin, an irritating and painful rash and accompanying blisters may erupt. The resulting condition can be so painful, the patient may be unable to tolerate clothing or anything that touches the affected area....

In cases of herpes zoster (shingles)... cimetidine has been successfully used to lessen the debilitating pain and intensity of the skin rash and eruptions.

Published studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited.

The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime. Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter.

Suggested use is to initiate Tagamet as soon as symptoms of a herpes-related virus infection appear. Continue to take it for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated.

One precautionary note, even though Tagamet (cimetidine) is sold over-the-counter, refer to the package insert to make sure it does not interact with prescription drugs you may already be taking.

Please note that if your doctor prescribes generic cimetidine, it may cost less to obtain it as a prescription drug (especially if you have prescription drug insurance) rather than buying the Tagamet name brand that is available without a prescription.
    -----------------
    (if you go to their website, there are also references to the studies)

Not everyone may be able to tolerate tagamet for various reasons, but it is worth looking into, as is acupuncture.

hope this helps...
    Victoria

10. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

Thanks for all the info!