Getting sprayed for mosquitoes in my neighborhood...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wasabi, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Just found out on the news this morning that my whole county is being sprayed for mosquitoes. It's an aerial spray, so there's no way to opt out.

We're supposed to stay indoors and turn off our air conditioners from 8 p.m. to midnight each night when it has been over 100 degrees every day, and at night it's still in the 80s. We're advised to wash off things that humans can touch, and pets are to be kept indoors.

Even with all these precautions, they insist that it's harmless for humans and animals. I'm skeptical. The idea that we're being sprayed with pesticides with no choice in the matter really irritates me. It's going to be terrible for those of us who are sensitive to chemicals.

(Not to mention, my husband just started painting the kitchen, and now we'll have to leave everything taped up and unusable, because painting without ventilation would be just intolerable.) The aerial spraying is supposed to happen over the course of eight nights.... Sigh. Anyway, sorry this is just a rant.
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...but I don't blame you for feeling this way, Wasabi! I'm in Kansas & last summer there was much more "buzz" (sorry about the pun) about West Nile virus & mosquitoes in general, and spraying was done in some locales, though not mine. This year I haven't heard a word about it on the news, and haven't seen too many mosquitoes, either. Must not be such an issue here this summer.

I hate the thought of what's in the sprays, I can't believe they're harmless! And certainly not for the chemically sensitive, let alone the average citizen with a good immune system in good health.

I'm sorry I'm not offering a shred of good advice, just commiserating; I'd feel exactly as you do---don't feel bad about the rant, I think you're entitled!!

Hope they are all done with soon!

(((Sympathy Hugs)))
    Pam
  3. biff6767

biff6767 New Member

they have been doing this in my area well over 8 years. it helps a TON.

bbl, gotta go take a shower and man these extra fingers i have cause problems
  4. yuckie

yuckie New Member

When my symptoms became extremely unbearable last spring my ND felt sure that it was the spraying that was causing the flare. Our local paper usually warns us of the spray and I try to take cover! Like you, I'm not happy about it. Plus, I'm not convinced that there's a real need this year. Take care and take cover.
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

When we were kids (many years ago) my brother, sister and I use to run behind the mosquito truck when they would come and fog the area. How dumb were we???

People just didn't know anything about all this at that time.

Sandy
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We did the same thing and it was DDT in those days. It was great fun to run around in the fog and run into each other! Who knew we were breathing all those dangerous fumes! I can still remember the smell.

But it diddnnn't rrreallly have annnny effffecct onn me, on meee, on me!

Hugs,

Greenbean
  7. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

in the town of Waseca, MN. Up to 300,000 crappies (panfish) were killed in a lake after the watershed was sprayed for mosquitos. The poison was found in the lake water in more than one sample--same lake where people swim, waterski, fish for food. Harmless, but apparently not to 300,000 fish. The town is "pondering" whether to continue spraying. Duh!?! Don't we know that we are all just big bugs! (I know that's not exactly true, but we all have central nervous systems and the purpose of the poison is to destroy them--a little kills mosquitos, more kills fish. . . . You get my point.) Jen102
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2005]
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I'm so glad to hear someone else did that too. We
    could hear them coming down the road and out we went.

Its really scary after reading Jen102's lake story.

Sandy
  9. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Just curious... are you in the N. California area?? Sounds like you are cause they are doing that in my area of the SF Bay Area.

Just curious, if you are in the SF Bay Area.. who is your doctor?? I am amazed at how many people get such stong pain relief... especially since I have such a hard time getting anything from my doctors.

Blessings... CarolK
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and only concerned and outraged citizens can make that happen. You really need to complain and contact any govt. official you can patch a call or write to. I can't believe they still do that there.

It was outlawed in Ottawa (and most of Cda I believe) yrs ago. We are still working on banning yard pesticides in the city, but the govt. isn't allowed to spray public areas anymore. The city treats the larvae sights w/ something that stops their reproducing ability, so city mosquitos are way down, w/out any spraying.

This came about by much public outcry. Eventually we'll get pesticides banned on private property too, just takes persistance and the Sierra Club here is very persistant.

We've had a big concern w/ West Nile here in Cda, and Ottawa news announced more dead crows this summer, so we have many govt. warnings issued to wear Deet (not likely) or cover up and wear netting.

Jeanne
  11. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Thanks so much for the info... guess Sacramento is a bit too far for me to drive. I am still looking for a new doctor in the Santa Clara/San Jose area. There just has to be one here for me.

I appreciate your help though!

CarolK
  12. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Thanks so much for understanding my frustration and commiserating. I agree--spraying like this should be illegal. In fifty years, I bet it will be.

So far, I've survived the first night of spraying, but I haven't dared to open the windows yet....
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2005]