Getting the most from Dr. appointment: how to ask questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, May 18, 2006.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Getting the most from your Doctor's visit: How to ask questions

The Lance Armstrong Foundation Website is filled with good information and supportive tools for cancer survivors. Some of their pages are adaptable to those of us with CFIDS/FM/Lyme and whatever else ails us.

I think that the following can help us with getting the most from our Doctor's appointments. Check out the website livestrong dot org.

Copyright © 2004 Live Strong. All Rights Reserved. Live Strong is an educational program of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Examples of how to ask questions during the appointment:

• “I’m sorry. I didn’t understand what you just said. Would you explain it in a different way?”

• “Would you explain how this medication will help me? Does it cause side effects?”

“What should I do if I experience side effects from this medication?”

• “I don’t understand the treatment plan. Will you please explain it to me?”

• “I don’t agree with a part of the treatment plan. Can you suggest something else I can do?”

• “I’ve been taking notes during the appointment. Let me repeat back what you told me to make sure I got it right.”

• “I’m feeling a little rushed. Can we slow things down a little?”

• “Where can I find more information about late effects of cancer treatment?” (Just substitute your own illness here.)
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Here's another helpful tool for getting the most out of your doctor's visit. You can find it at livestrong dot org It's on a nice form that you can print out. Also helps with keeping your own record of your appointments.

Health Care Team Appointment

Copyright © 2004 Live Strong. All Rights Reserved. Live Strong is an educational program of the Lance Armsrong Foundation.

Name: ________________________________

Appointment date: ________________

Time: ________________

Name of health care team member(s): ___________________________________

Reason for the appointment:

Questions for the health care team:

Notes:

Treatment plan:

Next appointment date: ________________

Time: ________________

[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2006]
  3. addictedtobrew

addictedtobrew New Member

Thanks for posting this. Its very helpful information.
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

There is a great medication tracking chart at the livestrong dot org website that you can print out. I can't paste it in here in it's entirety, but can paste in the column titles.

Copyright © 2004 Live Strong. All Rights Reserved. Live Strong is an educational program of the Lance Armsrong Foundation.

LIST OF MEDICATIONS

Name of the
    medication

What is the
    medication for?

Date the
    med. was
    prescribed

Dosage

Doctor who
    prescribed the
    medication