Getting through wisdom teeth with fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 21, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Anyone have advise for getting through wisdom teeth removal with fibro? I'm 23 and I need to get them out. They aren't impacted, but they are started to crowd my other teeth and push them out of place. I have a consult with the doctor next month about getting them out but I'm pretty concerned about how i'm going to deal with the pain and stress.
  2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks guys - that makes me feel a lot better. I kept hearing people talk about how horrible their experience was so it was really making me nervous, especially when i'm already dealing with the fibro pain and symptoms.

I am really hoping that because mine aren't impacted that it will be an easy procedure. I would still like to be knocked out when they are doing it though because just the thought freaks me out, and I know how uncomfortable I get just getting my teeth cleaned. So I have an appointment with a good oral surgeon my doctor recommended, so i'm crossing my fingers that everything turns out to be less stressful then anticipated. I do think I will discuss my fibro with the oral surgeon so she knows that i need to keep this as stress free as possible, and I'll discuss it with my pain management doctor at my appointment next week to see if there is anything we can do to keep this as simple as possible.
  3. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi,

I know how worried you must be as I am 27 and have also just been advised to have my wisdom teeth out as they are impacted and there is already a cyst developing in the bone. However I have been worse with my fibro lately and just can't bear anymore pain and stress lately.

I spoke to my doctor and she said not to have them until next year as I have also had severe mercury poisoning as I decided to have some of my amalgam fillings removed so it really is the wrong time for me.

I'm sure you'll feel better once you've had them out but I'm as nervous as hell about everything at the moment so the thoughts of it just makes me freak out. They do say it's much easier if you're in your early twenties so you do have that on your side.

Anyway let us know how you get on,

Take care x
  4. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

You'll probably think I'm nuts, but green cabbage applied to your cheeks will help reduce swelling and bruising. I am a Lactation Consultant and we use it for engorged moms all the time.

Has to be green cabbage, wash, cut in 1/2 and put in fridge. tear off a few leaves, gently crumble the veins and apply to cheeks, then put an ice pack over that. It usually feels wonderful too.

Good luck, help this helps,

Warmly,
    maggie
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterfly83:

I think that generally with these kinds of problems people get pretty strong medicine afterwards.

I would ask or mention it before you get them out.

Good luck with it and i hope you recover quickly when the procedure is done.

nyrofan