gg (& others) Quercetin & Epicor helping sinuses, immune system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Oct 7, 2010.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

greatgran, I thought of you first because of all your sinus issues. I've been taking quercetin with bromelain for several weeks now and noticed less congestion after starting it. An initial concern was its potential effect on my thyroid, as some evidence suggests it can worsen hypothyroidism, but others say that it just helps regulate the thyroid.

In any event, it's definitely not hurting my thyroid and I think is even helping as my body temp has gone up a little since starting it. It's even got up to 98 in the afternoon (which has not happened in years).

I also started Epicor about 2 weeks ago, and I really believe it is helping my immune system also. I get sick every time I crash and it used to take weeks for me to get over being sick, and now it is down to a couple of days.

I'm very sensitive to meds, have had no bad side effects from these two things, and I just seem to be making improvement. (for a very welcome change!)

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you for thinking of me. Seems I have tried so many things and nothing last or works for long. I have tried the bromelain but not with quercetin.. Never heard of Epicor but anything is worth a try..

I did try the grapefruit seed extract for my sinuses, 2 drops in a 3 oz bottle of saline spray 1 squirt up to 4 times a day.. Sinuses are doing better if I can just get my ears free of congestion.

Yep, I am very sensitive to meds and supplements. Been down most of the week feel terrible today.

Will ck into the Epicor...
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Quercetin is what is supposed to help the most with congestion. Bromelain is supposed to help with absorption of the quercetin. So bromelain alone would not do the job.

So check out both the quercetin and the epicor. I think they're helping me in combination.

Good luck!

4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I never noticed any difference using quercetin, though I may not have given it enough of a chance. Epicor has been very helpful for my nasal problems right from the beginning. I have been using it for a year now and have no intention of stopping. I note that I have not had a cold/flu since starting it. Possibly a coincidence, but there is research showing it has some cold prevention properties as well. I like it.
  5. roge

roge Member

been using for just over 1 year and my chronic sinus infections are 50% better. also stopped dairy and gluten too. but i do believe the epicor is helping. a few studies showing epcicor helps with allergic rhinitis which i have.

i had a stool test done a few yrs ago at daignostech in seattle and my secretory iga were very very low and Siga is needed as first line of defence in the mucosal tract. epicor raises Siga along with other things, ie. nk cell.

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2010]
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It's really nice to hear that the epicor is helping both of you. Within a couple of days of starting it I suddenly had what felt like a night sweat but in the early evening and I think my immune system was finally kicking in to fight a bug I had been wrestling with.

I've only been taking it for a couple of weeks, so will be interesting to see what long-term use will do. So far so good!