Giant Cells

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohmyaching, May 15, 2003.

1. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Anyone with information about giant cells and CFS? I keep running into references to giant cells both in my research and my diagnosis. My doctor said the tumors on my fingers were giant cell tumors. An early researcher of HHV6 said that he saw giant cell formation associated with that illness( wasn't called HHV6 then) resembling those of African swine fever virus. My mother and a bunch of her friends were diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica and one lady had blindness from giant cell arteritis. Doctor Cheney has mentioned giant cell formation in relationship to CFS. I wonder, is this just a coincidence or is there some relationship?
    There doesn't seem to be any apparent relationship. Most doctors readily point that out to me. Yet there is one thing in common about giant cell formation in all of these cases that I also keep running into, that is when I try to pinpoint the doctors or the research down as to what causes giant cell formation nobody really has an answer to that.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The only time I have heard the term is when someone has Polymyalgia Rheumatica. You are right, if someone has PR and giant cell activity, he or she can go blind.

That is one of the reasons it is so important to rule out or diagnose PR which has many symptoms identical to ours.

Perhaps one of our medical professionals will have more info on this. Have you done a web search on Giant Cells?

Love, Mikie