Gifts vs. insights? Really important distinction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lynda B., Sep 5, 2002.

1. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I was having deep thoughts ( : about the "Gifts" questions. Like many of you I am pissed and feel I have miss out on the best years of my life and my children's lives not to mention what the DD has done to my marriage.

On the other hand, as I sit here and read what others have to say and what I turn over in my own head there is a great distinction. I have had many "insights" I may not have had. There is a difference. So many of you have made that very clear to me reading the words you so eloquently have written or feelings you have shared.

So, in short. FMS does not make me feel gifted in any way even thankful that I have it. I am just not there. But I have gained many insights I probably would not have had from others or within myself. Just had to get that off my chest.

ANOTHER THOUGHT PROVOKING QUESTION ON THIS BOARD--THANKS.

Lynda B.
  2. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I was having deep thoughts ( : about the "Gifts" questions. Like many of you I am pissed and feel I have miss out on the best years of my life and my children's lives not to mention what the DD has done to my marriage.

On the other hand, as I sit here and read what others have to say and what I turn over in my own head there is a great distinction. I have had many "insights" I may not have had. There is a difference. So many of you have made that very clear to me reading the words you so eloquently have written or feelings you have shared.

So, in short. FMS does not make me feel gifted in any way even thankful that I have it. I am just not there. But I have gained many insights I probably would not have had from others or within myself. Just had to get that off my chest.

ANOTHER THOUGHT PROVOKING QUESTION ON THIS BOARD--THANKS.

Lynda B.
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

This DD has helped me improve myself in many ways, but it has also made me rather bitter because of the things I have missed out on. My family is very active and I push them to go about doing their normal, fun things while I stay home and cook and bake for them. When they come back, I listen to their tales about the fun they had. I really miss being "normal" and would give just about anything to get my life back again as it was 10 years ago. On the positive side, I have become closer to God, more patient, more understanding of others ailments, more compassionate and much more gentle. I appreciate the good things this DD has given me, but really don't care for the bad things at ALL!! Do we ever get our lives back as we knew them?

Marilyn :)
  4. herblady

herblady New Member

well now, i guess i can think of some insights. i know that my husband will only be supportive of stuff he believes in. i have learned to be strong, to push myself. if i don't know one else will. i understand chronic pain now. i've learned a whole lot about a subject i had never heard of 2 years ago. this disease has helped me expand my knowledge of herbal medicines. and if i'm tired i rest, i don't feel like the world will stop turning if the floor doesn't get swept until evening. there's probably more but that's all i can think of at after 4 a.m. cindi
  5. contessa

contessa New Member

But as you both have discovered new things come along. It doesn't lessen the pain, or the isolation, or the agravations. It won't make us immediately happy, or even keep the tears away. But we will impact someone elses life in some little way just by ways we meet our new challenges. Perhaps someone else will learn patience, or how to listen, or even how to give more of themselves because you couldn't do it at time. I have two friends, one with MS and the other with a nasty combo of narcolepsy and heart disease. I admit I wasn't very patient with either of them when they got sick. I couldn't understand how these silly, intelligent, energentic, giving people couldn't make time for me. Being sick I now understand them - their illness gave them the means to understand me. I guess we're all kinda woven together somehow. The trick is to not come unravelled. Enjoy your day ladies!!