Girls, question about BC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Angel6801, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

All right... I started to seeing a guy now... So I was on BC for six months then couple months ago I took them off since they made my headaches much worse (along with increase tingling in face and arms) but after I got them off, my headaches subsided but I still get headaches but not bad as with BC on it.

Now... Since I am seeing this guy.. I want to be really careful. Ever since I had baby at 19 (now I'm 23 by the way), I was really want to be cautious by not getting pregnant again. Espesnially with the fact I have health problems that often pop up then down. But right now, I am kinda nervous since I know sometimes things happens. So I thought about having BC again... Is there any kinds that I can use BC without giving me worse headaches and the crying spell??? The dr already gave me low dosage of estogen BC.. Is that mean there is no options for BC that works for me???
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have a lot of problems with BC and it took me a long time to find a kind I could use. The last one I was on was called Lessina. It's another low dosage BC and there are many others to choose from. It took me years of trial and error to find the right kind for me. With Lessina I did not have any side effects. Each kind works in a different way and you can try each of the low dosage ones until you find one that doesn't affect your pre-existant headaches. I'm not an expert or anything, just know from personal experience. Also, when I used the patch, I did not have side effects either, but I went off of that because I honestly did not trust it as much as the pill. I'm sure there is one or a few out there that would work for you and you still have options even if one low dosage pill didn't work. Good luck! and I hope you find something that works for you.

And I don't know if this will make a difference, but I do not have any children and do not plan on having any soon, so this is a topic I take very seriously... lol.

Shananegans
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I was on the pill for a few years and found that my migraines were worse and more frequent and my menstrual cramps were unbearable. I also recently found out that I have two blood disorders that require that I not be on any birth control that contains estrogen and this could be one reason why I was more sensitive to the pill.

I have been on the depo shot for about 3 years now and I love it. I haven't had any side effects with it. I get the shot every 3 months and I don't have any periods.

I think you need to meet with a OB/GYN who will listen to the issues you've had and discuss all of your options with you. There are lots of different ones out there now to try. Good luck!
  4. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

But I know someone that was on the Depo shots - it's something you could inquire about.
  5. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I got it after my husband and I had our daughter (we are not having any more kids), as I really saw what a difference it made being off BC pills when I was trying to get pregnant (and when I got prego right away). I previously had been dx'd with depression and had such awful monthly migraines that both suddenly disappeared the month I stopped taking oral contraceptives. I can't believe my doctors had never even ASKED about the BC, but it's one of many, many reasons I stopped seeing MDs several years ago, as much as I can help it.

I first tried the non-hormone copper IUD but kept bleeding, so it wasn't a good fit for me. I switched to the progesterone-only one a few years ago, and I haven't had nearly the problems I did with the oral BC. I really haven't had any issues at all, and I am very sensitive to a lot of meds.

Just wanted to share my experience, and I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm too old to worry about BC anymore (and, I had a hysterectomy when I was 32), so I'm not up to date on anything.

Have you recently been to a GYN doc and had him/her explain all of the new options available to you now? You said that the doc already gave you low dose estrogen BC, but I didn't know how recent that was.

My DH is an administrator of a county health dept. and I know he has all of these BC clinics where the nurses go over all this with patients.

Yes, you definitely want to be careful--not only from becoming pregnant, but protecting yourself from diseases!

Good luck.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  7. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

I really apprecicate that you response my questions. Now it do sound like I need to contact wtih GYN dr and discuss about the BC options.

Gentle hugs to all.
    Angel
  8. floridamarlen

floridamarlen New Member

they will mess you up more. the shots are hormones (male i think) try the old fashioned condom. theve worked for ages n ages.hubby and i have used them for 10 yrs and if your responsible no pregnancys. sometimes the old cure works best.
  9. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

Just kidding. We use condoms and family planning together. We have only got pregnant when we wanted to.
    I won't use anything that messes with my body. If it changes something natural in my body I don't want it. I have enough problems.
  10. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Depo shots are NOT male hormones. It actually contains progesterone (a female hormone), which is also used in many other forms for menopause, to prevent uterine cancer, etc. As with any med, some people have bad reactions.

As I mentioned, I suffer from migraines and the pill made my migraines much worse. However, the depo shot has not made any difference with my migraines.

And, I have recently discovered that I have two blood clotting disorders that make it impossible for me to take any BC that contains estrogen as it can cause me to have a potentially fatal blood clot. Depo shots do not contain any estrogen and therefore, are the safest BC for me to be on.

As with the pill, shots, implants or any other BC, you should also use condoms to protect against STDs, etc.