Giving Blood

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by borntired, Jun 18, 2006.

1. borntired

borntired New Member

Has anyone out there not been able to give blood at blood banks.
    About 20 years ago I couldn't give to the RED CROSS Blood drive at my church and also I couldn't give it at work about 5 years ago.
    I asked the nurses and why and said the "din't know"

I have EBV/CMV which has been active in my blood tests for many years. Is that the reason?

Thanks,
    Borntired
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

They should have told you why. Or at least direct you to have certain things checked . Maybe something in your medical info that they took?

I always wanted to give blood, my Dr. said that I needed it more and not to. Also someone, since getting "this" has said that since they do not know why we have these problems that they are leery of using our blood. I can appreciate that.

Anyone been denied life insurance I wonder?

One of my sons has given a lot of blood. That I am proud of.
    Blessings............Susan
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Blood, bone marrow, nor organs for transplant. Most of us suffer from chronic stealth infections and these could be passed on through donations, especially if the recipient has a compromised immune system. Everyone receiving transplanted tissue or organs has a compromised immune system because they are given drugs to suppress their immune systems to lessen rejection.

Most reputable blood banks do not accept blood from people with FMS and/or CFIDS. They do not screen for the kinds of infection many of us carry. Routine screening tests would likely not even pick our infections up. It can take PCR DNA tests to identify some of the infections we carry.

Love, Mikie
  4. borntired

borntired New Member

I never knew I had FMS/CFS at the time. ( this was 10-20 years ago).
  5. borntired

borntired New Member

I never knew I had FMS/CFS at the time. ( this was 10-20 years ago).
  6. azbubba

azbubba New Member

While I was in the middle of a BUNCH of tests to rule out everything from HIV to thyroid deficiencies, I gave blood. At the time, they did a hemoglobin test to ensure that giving would not be harmful to me.

However, I tested anemic for two months afterwards. Therefore, I do not give anymore, until I'm sure that everything will turn out ok for me.
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

When I called the local blood bank on 9/11 to find out if my medications would keep me from donating blood, they told me that the medication wasn't a problem, but having FM was.

The nurse said that they had seen too many people with FM/CFS "flare" or "crash" after donating blood.

It could have something to do with "low blood volume", per Cheney's research.

In the late '80s, the CDC actually sent letters to many people telling them to NOT donate blood - even though they were still telling people that they were crazy.

- julie (is free!)

Love bears all things.. - Paul
  8. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

When I was diagnosed with cfs, my doctor told me not to give blood and also take myself off the organ doner list.

He reckoned that I might have stuff in me that would make the recipient even sicker.........
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

because of my spherocytosis..had what they called non anon b hepatitius..i think what it really was was the final blood disease finally dx w...i had mono...and also now i have a tatoo...so after so many years they will allow you to give...they worrry about hep c...

jodie