Giving Blood???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have one quick question. Will they let a person with FM or CFS give blood?

Kurt
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I was allowed but as I got older and thought about it since they don't know what causes it I don't give anymore. I would never want to pass this on. No children, no blood donating !
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For the most part have agreed that since infectious agents, for which blood is not screened, may play a big part in our illnesses, it is not safe at this time.

Stealth infections like mycoplasmas don't even show up in routine types of blood tests. Since mycoplasmas live inside our cells, it probably isn't safe to donate organs and it may not be safe to donate blood marrow.

Most of us have suffered from illness and would love to be able to help others who are sick, but if we were to give them our illnesses on top of what is making them sick, it would be horrible.

Hopefully, one of these days, there will be a cure and we won't have to worry about these things.

Love, Mikie
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

5. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Just wanted to know if they would let us. The answer appears to be yes, which is kinda scary. What else can u have and give blood?

Kurt
  6. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Good question Kurt!
    I wonder if a blood bank has a list?
    When they questioned me the last time I gave seemed like all they were concerned about is a person not having AIDS.
    But that was quite awhile ago.

[ advertisement ]