Giving Teitelbaum's protocol (and inner peace) another chance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi folks,

I'm now seeing a great new doc here in Brooklyn, New York. David Borenstein MD. He's an integrated doc and among other stuff practices Dr. Teitelbaum's protocol. I'm not easily impressed by doctors. His enthusiasm reminds me a bit of the wonderful Dr. Karen Vrchota in Minnesota, my home farm-state.

I've felt a big boost in my energy and sense of peace in the last month. Part of it is because I'm doing a 360 degree approach of diet, yoga, meditation, and what I call "Gentle, Mental Martial Arts" by practicing from ET the Lovely Leprechaun's (Eckhart Tolle) books---The Power of Now and A New Earth.

I'm feeling way better--mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. I still have a long way to go, but I feel I've made a small breakthrough. Nothing to write home about but worthy of postcard.

And I Have to say, getting back to the basic Teitelbaum protocol with Dr. Borenstein is part of this. Since I've added that Energy Revitalizing Powder and D-Ribose the difference is freakin' noticeable.

I sound like a commercial. Forgive me, it's my ad background. My Bad Ackground.

I just want you, me, her, him, your dog, mittens, uncle Joe and everyone else to feel better.

When I moved to NYC, many folks slammed Teitelbaum, but the fact is he's the only Doc I know of who's done double blind, placebo controlled studies to prove his protocol helps.

Again, it's only one piece of my puzzle, but I seem to be improving and thought I'd share what's working. Teitelbaum, Tolle, diet, yoga, meditation, prayer, time, comedies....and really working to let go of my anger. Listening to Eckhart Tolle's books over and over is like being brainwashed with peace.
    I told a meditation teacher that sometimes I feel peace in meditation and sometimes I feel like I'm scratching after it because I've had a taste and I want it so bad...he said, "Well, it's not such a bad thing to scratch after..."
    I laughed.

Ok. Be well good folks.

If you're in NYC, here's Borenstein's info. Why do I promote? HE TAKES INSURANCE!!!! Still, bless all docs working to help us.

Dr. Borenstein MD, PC
    866 East 29th Street

Brooklyn, NY 11210

Tel: (718) 758-1650

Fax: (718) 758-1654

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Patrick,

Glad to hear you're doing better.

I think of that stuff as "the basics" with regards to treating CFS. You can get a long way with them (at least insofar as mold and/or lyme coinfection issues aren't overwhelming), I think.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that antivirals should be delayed until the basics are in place. They're too hard on the system otherwise.

I'm also glad you found a doctor who takes insurance!

Best, Lisa
  3. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I completely agree about the anti-virals.

I was on Valcyte last winter and it did a number on me. I clearly was not ready or it is simply not the right treatment for me.

Hope you are are well and thanks for the friendly hello.

4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hey Hubcap,

Congratulations on your improvements. I tend to think that most of us will have to approach wellness from a numerous different angles, including the mental, emotional and spiritual aspects you mention.

I glanced at your BIO and see you've got a good sense of humor. (Thanks for a few chuckles). Maintaining a sense of humor through these health trials can also be very (perhaps critically) important. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to find the things that are bringing you your good results.

All the Best, Wayne
  5. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Thanks so much for reminding me of my sense of humor!
    And for saying hello.
  6. sascha

sascha Member

and yay on Tolle, the lovely leprechaun. i want to get his books on tape/CD. he has Deep Truth and conveys it through voice, expression, gesture.

i've heard Teitelbaum wpeak on radio; have his book.

so good go hear good news. may it ever continue.

i'm in my last month on the valcyte, then will take stock and determine what comes next.

thanks for posting- Sascha
  7. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Good to hear you are feeling more peaceful.This has to be a prerequisite for healing.
    I love reading your posts as you articulate what I feel.I studied Lit but these days the expressive function is a bit off whereas the receptive/Appreciative side is spot on.
    I have found
    "The Power of Now" to be a life changer for me. I use the CD a lot and it just carries me away to a land of greater perspectives...I love the bit where he puts the mind back in its box and talks about the range of intelligence beyond thought where the things that matter, beauty , love, joy, inner peace, creativity reside.
    May your peace continue
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm so happy for you!!!

I had always thought ET looked like a leprechaun, but never heard anyone say it before! lol

Wishing you lots of good healing.
  9. dannybex

dannybex Member

I think that's probably one of the KEY factors that so many of us totally forget, or just don't do -- REST, STOP, MEDITATE, etc..

We'll never get better if we keep pushing and crashing. I've known this for 6 years, yet I still keep doing it. I should be resting right now! :)

Did you see the article on immunesupport about Martha Kilcoyne, the woman who TOTALLY recovered from being bedridden, to being healthy? REST -- 10 hours a night, plus a two hour nap -- even if she felt more "energetic" -- was one the main factors in her recovery.

And she celebrated her newfound health -- 3 years later -- by CLIMBING MOUNT KILIMANJARO.

I think the name of her book is "Defeat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", but not sure right now. A google search using her name and CFS should turn up results.

Thanks Hubcap!

10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Hubcap,

Thought I'd share this two-minute light-hearted <a href="">video</a> on your thread here. Somehow it just seemed appropriate and in the spirit of this thread. Hope you enjoy it.

11. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Valcyte is not the only anti-viral.

I keep seeing "anti-virals did a number on me" then the next sentence is about Valcyte. Be specific. Say "Valcyte did a number on me".

I am on an anti-viral, acyclovir. While it is not new and sexy, IT WORKS. I am not bedridden.

Maybe others work better but it is treating my symptoms for now, and that is acceptable to me.

I never felt one iota of bad symptoms from acyclovir. Not even 30 minutes worth.

Valcyte is experiemental - sounds horrible.

12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The antiviral that I used was Famvir, and my reaction to it was at the level that others here reported on Valcyte.

Only because my doctor encouraged me to stay at a low level was I able not to get as sick as those folks have.

I've not heard of a lot of people having such intense reactions to Famvir or Valtrex, but there have been a few.

It's great that you're getting improvements!
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I tried to speed read A New Earth because it was a 14-day return book from the library. Of course, I failed to have a solid grasp because it must be read one. slow. word. at a time. However! I did get a glimpse of a few things that I could relate to. As soon as I can, I plan to buy the darned book and see if it's any clearer read slowly than it was when I leapt through it.

I do remember and now try to use the example of the monk? who said to just about anything: Is that so?

I have Teitelbaum's book but, because I react so strongly to meds and supplements, I was reluctant to begin so many things at once, as he likes to do. (I was also very turned off by the title. Maybe I should get over myself and give it another shot.)

But most of all, you must write a book. I don't care what it's about but your profile (and post) is funnier and more intelligent than most of what I read today. I laughed out loud.

Thanks for the moments of delight. Best of luck to you - or whatever it takes. You make me proud to be sick. ;>)

14. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

"Would you two stop saying 'Gummi' so much!?"
    Totally off topic reference. If anyone gets it I'll be overjoyed.

Thanks everyone for more good replies. Thank you Forebearance, Slowdreamer, Dannybex, Waynesrhythm, marti_zavala, Marta, Slaydragon....

Slowdreamer, you are far more lucid and poetic than you give yourself credit for. But I hear you. My achieving side is at a low low ebb, but my appreciative side feels powerful, especially when I literally keep A New Earth (for the last 8 years it was The Power of Now) on my iPod for listening whenever I can--walking, doing dishes, waiting in line, on the subway.

It's the only thing that's help me rise above physical limitations and, to me, severely challenging life circumstances that just make my mind and ego go crazy.

I'm so glad you are also on that path. I'm looking for more New Yorkers who are into it. There are some meetups here and they fill up quickly. I'm taking one buddhist meditation class and have a friend who is deep into it. I'm going to check it out and go deeper. In class I hear many brilliant things, and find practical ways to find more peace, but they also have a lot of 'ideas' that seem like post-buddha add-ons. This is simply a first impression. But that is another reason the nuts-and-bolts, how-to simplicity of The Power of Now attract me so much.

We both love the same parts of the book--where he points to, helps us get a chance to know that part of ourselves that is connected to something larger, infinite even from which beauty, peace, creativity, and a higher intelligence come. I try to get out of my chattering mind and my demanding ego and spend as much time in that more calm place every day.

And every day it's a challenge. I have to choose it, peace, moment by moment. I'm a face planter, but I get up a lot.

I want to read about Martha Kilcoyne now! Yow. That's some way to show yourself and the world you're healing. Mountain Climbing. I agree on rest. And meditation is a great form of rest to me.

Another great tip: you can do "restorative yoga" simply by laying flat on your back and putting your legs up a wall. you can do this from bed or on a yoga mat. It improves circulation and for us 'do addicted' people (I'm not lost on how that sounds, and would be with one extra 'o') it's a chance to lie and DO something at the same time. Very good. Try to get your butt as close to the wall as you can without lifting your lower back. I'm so so flexible, so I get about 5 inches and I make a 100 degree angle or so.

Wayne, I didn't see a link to that light hearted video. (I went back and saw you had 'video' lit up. Nice job, now I get. I watch after this). I'm way up for comedy. 1990s episodes of the Simpsons are still part of my healing routine as are 1970s Woody Allen movies, Will Ferrell movies.... I've found it a challenge to find comedy that satisfies both my need for making crazy fun of ourselves and Western Culture, and yet has an underlying love between the characters or sense of hope. Most TV comedies to me are funny-sarcastic (30 Rock, The Office) but lack a deeper heart. Then again, I don't have a TV now so what do I know. I watch DVDs on computer. Sexy!

Marti---you are right. Valcyte did a number on me, not "anti-virals". I was on Valtrex and I felt no side effects. I'm not slamming anti virals and if I did before, I was wrong to do so. Thanks for the correction....

Yes! The monk whose answer to every exclamation was "Is that so?" That is so brilliant. To me it's also an illustration for myself how I may get in a knot over something as simple as someone else's opinion. Thanks for the reminder of the monk.

YES, The title of Teitelbaum's book is a little, well, schmaltzy.

I want to make clear I'M NOT SAYING TEITELBAUM HAS ALL THE ANSWERS. But I've found good luck with doctors who are schooled in his protocol and use it as one fish in their aquarium of treatments (?)

Honestly, I think meditation and getting gentle control of my mind's self sabotaging games is at least as important (for me) as any supps or meds or shots or sublinguals.

MARTA, you are so sweet. I keep thinking to write a book. At first, the idea was to be a funny tragi-comic memoir in the spirit of David Sedaris. But now I see that as kind of indulgent. There are far more fascinating life stories out there. My life has been very very strange, but nothing as crazy as, say, Augusten Burroughs and nothing as inspiring as so many others. I don't want to clutter the world with something that is about 'me' unless it's helpful to others.

If I can get the humor, the life story, and the help into one book I may have something. Or maybe it'll be something else all together. A friend and I were talking about compiling our approaches to healing in an online program and/or book. But again, to me it would have to be FUN. Funny. I see a book with the title "How to manage your life when you have a Chronic Illness" and I want to lay down in fetal position in the bookstore aisle. I don't want to "manage" I want to "live."

There is yoga teacher coming to a bookstore in New York who is paralyzed form the chest down. That is a great message to all of us who've wanted to teach yoga but thought we couldn't because of physical limitations. His point is that yoga is mostly a meditative practice, I think anyway.

I'd LOVE to hear your ideas or what you like or don't like about how I write. I've considered starting a blog where I kind of make little 'baby stories' and put them in a pen to play. The people can look and see what's good and who needs to...I don't know. See, I need help.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2008]
  15. deliarose

deliarose New Member

16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's like "build it and they will come"!... is that right?.... You get it.

What is good about your writing? What is not?? I want to take out an ad and that says READ THIS GUY! You say what we're all thinking, you say it well and you're wildly funny doing it. I bet you're funny in person too. You're not one of those people who have to work hard at it, are you.

Like this: "I see a book with the title "How to manage your life when you have a Chronic Illness" and I want to lay down in fetal position in the bookstore aisle." I hooted out loud.

I also remember your comment in your profile about correcting grammar on bathroom wall graffiti. It's all great stuff. Even your profile is entertaining - and you're sick! (But getting better.) I laughed for days whenever I remembered your response to the Birthday question on your profile.

I can see it now. You would touch people deeply with your personal story and insight, and yet your humor would make them want CFS! We'd all be icons!

Write it. Do it. Blog, then let it become a book. The time is perfect. People in this country are crazy nuts with anxiety and so badly need to laugh at themselves right now.

Let us know what you decide but I'm saving my money to buy your book. We'll make it a Book Club Book of the Month here - at least. You'll be on Oprah. Or not....

Sorry, don't get the Gummi reference..

And Wayne, thank you, thank you for the video! It's great!

PS. Hub, when you're famous, don't forget we knew you when. We want you to dedicate your book to us or something. "To all the people who told me I could."

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Listen to Marta and do as she says! She's absolutely right!

And you, my friend, are absolutely and totally alive!

Inner Peace,
  18. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Hubcap, Hi All,

Thought I'd post another <a href="">short video</a> that seems appropriate for this thread. Hope you enjoy it. :)

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  19. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

While the heart weeps for what it has lost,

The Spirit laughs for what it has found.