Giving up Amitriptyline & taking 5HTP instead?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Smiffy, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy New Member

Please does anyone know if it's possible to give up Amitriptyline (I've taken 10mg at night for years) & take 5HTp for sleepless instead? I'm worried about the weight gain from the ami.
  2. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I was on Amitriptyline about 3 mos. and off for a while before I went to a new dr, who suggested 5-htp. I take 200 mgs. of 5-htp 3 hrs. before bed. It usually helps me fall asleep faster, but I'm about to start Xyrem to help me sleep deeper. Check with your doctor, I guess. Good luck to you!
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Many docs don't even know what 5HTP is. Be careful dropping the amitriptyline. As with many drugs, you may need to wean off. I take 5HTP at bedtime and love it!

I also started taking "the shake" a couple weeks ago, and that made a big difference in helping me sleep deeper. "The shake" recipe can be found by putting those words in the search here. I also Take GABA at nite which helps quite those neurotransmitter's that keep upsetting our sleep.

K.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

amitryptilene didnt work for me but what is 5HTP?????

I know I had a bad time coming off Lustral a few years back so maybe wean yourself off slowly.

love
    Rosie
  5. Missfibro

Missfibro New Member

I was taking Amitriptyline for some time and found I had to keep increasing the dose more and more which lead to more side affects like weight gain etc. Once off it I realized some of my fibro symptoms were being confused with the side affects and i'm much happier without the Amitrip. I now take St Johns Wort, and Melatonin tabs (900mg) at night. It's not ideal but I I prefer it to the feeling of being sedated on the amitriptyline. As a fibro sufferer I feel we have enough symptoms to deal with without side affects of drugs aswell! I am looking into taking 5HTP too.
    I find accupuncture and hypnotherapy fairly successful in helping with sleep if you're looking for more 'natural' methods.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

5-htp is an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin, without the side effects of Elavil and other anti-depressants. It helps me a lot with sleep. I take 50 mg. on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and 50 mg. before lunch on empty stomach. It kept me awake when I took it at night. It's great stuff.

I'm sure it would be fine to take the 5-htp, once you're off the Elavil, but you shouldn't take it at the same time as the Elavil becuase you may deveop serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin).

Mary
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy New Member

thank you all so much for your advice. It's so good to have you all to ask what your experience has been. xxx