Giving up Driving?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Nov 17, 2008.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Has anyone had to get rid of their car and completely give up driving? I might have to do that soon and I'm scared.

I already have an appointment for the car to be looked at cause the coolant light came on and a heating knob broke off. I won't be able to continue to pay to fix the car much longer. And I'm finding that the car is not only too expensive for me to keep on my small disability money, but it's a huge source of my stress.

I'm really not well enough to be driving. I wasn't driving for three years, and then my mom passed away and I had no choice. But that didn't mean I was okay to drive, it just meant I had no choice.

They do have buses here, but I'm scared that I won't get a seat and I can't be standing with the severe NMH/POTS. So I'd probably do better if I took a cab to the store or wherever. But it could end up costing me almost as much as my car insurance is now. It might still be cheaper, though. But the thought of relying on strangers to get me around is scary.

Has anyone gone through this? What do you do to get around? I have no one to help me. So it would have to be buses and cabs.

And the other thing that's really bugging me is that I'm only thirty-nine years old. I feel like I'm being completely retired at my age. If I give up the car, I'm giving up driving. And I don't really want to, but I might not have a choice. If that car ends up needing really expensive repairs, I won't be able to do it. But this disease is just plain retiring me and keeping me a shut in recluse. It's awful. I don't want to give up driving.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Tea

Don't know where you live but there are cards to take cabs for medical.
    Some grocery stores deliver. Also handicap buses that come to you and are lower to get into.

Thats a real hard one when it comes to cars. My dad passed away and left me his car. Insurance is pretty low dropped it to just liability.

Have you checked your level of antifreeze? Do you have someone you trust to ck it out? There are services for people with disabilities and they sometimes will help with this.

I drive less and less(sometimes when I shouldn't).Having car still makes you feel like you have some choices.

Hoping for best of luck its something simple