Glad about confirmed diagnosis = scared of confirmed diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Nov 6, 2006.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Saw my second rheumatologist today. Three hour drive so six hours on road....wow did that do me in.

Anyway, good news is he did the 18 point tender point test, yup and I aced that test! (18 of 18) I always have been an overachiever.

Now what? I was so relieved to finally hear someone say, "Yes it definitely is fibromyalgia" that it took me an hour to finally go, "Now what?"

Ok, I have that all important diagnosis....but wait I went to college for six years, I am a nurse of over nine years, I quit my job in April because of being sick all the time as an Assisted Living Manager/Nurse Care Manager. I went from being on salary, to hardly being able to afford celery!

I am not depressed...although maybe I should be. Probably more mad than anything...kinda the "why me" thing going on. I have a good family, a caring husband and right now I can't even help.

Therapy is next I know...now to explain to my general practitioner what kind of therapy I can do and which I won't because he is great and realizes I probably know more about Fibro than he does! (Not condescending we have worked together a long time and trusts my judgement, and that in itself is a blessing.)

I can't work...plain and simple. It kills me to take the garbage out of the garbage can, or change cat litters, fold laundry.

My life has come to this and I will overcome.

Thank you everyone for listening, and for all your wonderful support!

Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory

2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I guess your now an official member! : )
    I know, not the club you would want to join.. I know for me it was a relief though as I had been told everything from there was nothing wrong with me to being tested for lupus, aids and cancer..
    You won't die from this. That's a good thing... The tough thing is learning how to live with it.

We're here for you though, and you don't have to go through this alone.

hugs,
    dona
  3. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

so glad you found this board and so sorry you found this board!

Having the Dx was an important thing for me. I was beginning to believe I was a crazy, depressed, hypochondriac. I knew something was wrong with me, but, if the Dr. says nothings wrong, who am I to suggest different? WRONG!

Now I have a great team working for/with me, to make my life, if not pleasurable, at least bearable, for the most part.

Anyway, this is a great place for info and kind people.

Talk to ya soon,

Theresa