Glad I don't drive in Dallas! :-}

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

A lot of these same symptoms are what I have every day, without abusing any meds -- prescription or otherwise.

Taken from The Dallas Morning News, June 3, 2003:

"TELLTALE SIGNS FOR OFFICERS"
    Dallas police officers who become drug-recognition experts complete 156 hours of training and must be certified every two years. To determine whether a motorist is under the influence of drugs, the officers follow a 12-step standardized test. They are taught to look for the characteristic effects of the following drug categories:

• Stimulants, such as amphetamines and methamphetamines – dilated pupils, elevated vital signs and agitated movements.

• PCP – dilated pupils, elevated vital signs and distinctive horizontal and vertical eye movement under testing. Also rigid muscles, a blank stare, an absence of pain and reports of hallucinations.

• Hallucinogens, including LSD and ecstasy – constricted pupils, elevated vital signs and distorted sensory perceptions.

• Cannabis, such as marijuana and hashish – impaired depth perception and an inability to maintain attention. Also causes an accelerated heart rate, muscle tremors and forgetfulness.

• Narcotic analgesics, including opiates such as heroin and morphine – constricted pupils, depressed vital signs, forgetfulness and slow and deliberate movements.

• Depressants, including alcohol, barbiturates and tranquilizers – relaxed muscles, drowsiness, impaired balance, slurred speech, depressed vital signs and distinctive eye movements.

• Inhalants, including volatile solvents, aerosols and anesthetic gases – specific chemical odor and residue on the user's face or clothing. Impaired walk, slurred speech, accelerated heart rate, increased pupil size and distinctive eye movements.

SOURCES: Dallas and Los Angeles police departments

I guess I better start carrying copies of my prescriptions with me -- just in case! Of course, if I feel under the weather, I let someone else do the driving.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We could not pass half these tests even without any drugs!

Imagine the fibro fog kicking in, and some cop asking you 'what is your license number'? What year were you born in? Who is the current secretary of state? etc............

Half of us could not answer all those little questions under stress!

What a law.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Seagull

Seagull New Member

the bad apples can make life so hard for the rest of us! I do have to say that I don't envy the police their jobs -- the number of drivers here that drive under the influence of either or both drugs and alcohol is one of the worst in the country. But, I think the training should go further in determining first if there are any contributing factors or illnesses that need medical attention, rather than jail.

Makes me feel like I should wear a Medic Alert bracelet.