Glad I started probiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockymtnmom, Nov 7, 2006.

1. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I started taking probiotics and within 3 days of starting, I have had a bowel movement every day (too much imfo, I know!).

For someone who has suffered from IBS since age 8, and is taking drugs that constipate, this is pretty exciting stuff.

I would recommend this to others.
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

probiotics everyone is talking about? I do suffer from IBS and I have tried everything to have normal BM, I am lucky is I have a BM 1-2 times a week and my poor tummy is so sore. Tell me more about it and how do I get it?

thanks and love to all, Ann
  3. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

As far as I can tell, probiotics contain live cultures of the creatures we all need in our intestinal tract for it to function normally. Many things can cause those things to get out of balance in our systems, like illness, yeast infections or the use of antibiotics.

Taking Probiotics can help restore that balance by adding more of the good creatures to your system.

Probiotics like acidophilis (SP) are found in yogurt and kefir, for example. The probiotics that I see many people on this board are taking are supplements. They (and more info) can be obtained through ImmuneSupport.com that maintains this board (on this website) or at health food stores or drugstores. You want to make sure there are a certain number (in the millions) of live probiotics at the time of bottling for full effect. ALso, some need refridgeration.

Good luck. I take 1 capsule of a probiotic supplement every day according to directions on the bottle.

You can also try to google "Probiotics" for more info. I know there are threads here if you do a search, and possibly more info in the library here. Hope this helps you as it did me.

Kim
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Thank you for the information, let's hope I can get some relief:)

love to all, Ann
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Please just click on the store icon at the top of every page here.

They have wonderful products and a portion of what we pay goes to research too.

And rockymtnmom....aren't they amazing???? After 18 years or horrendous IBS-D...I'm normal again. Wow....it's great to know that it works both ways too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. Summit

Summit New Member

I became interested in taking probiotics for myself after giving them to my pomeranian (Jenny) she was having some IBS problems. Now, if I forget to give her the probiotics, I can tell it within a day!!! No kidding. That made me think, wow, I need to try some of that stuff too. And it does help alot!!! I also give it to my horses acouple weeks after I have wormed them (because when you kill the bad things you also kill some of the good gut bugs. the probiotic reestablishes Good gut flora (I think they call it) I call it gut bugs. anyways, it won't hurt you, so try it. ps. For anyone who takes Anti-biotics, you should wait a few days and then take probiotics for the same reasons listed above.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I am on the Jarro-Dolphius EPS I got from the Pro Health store and it has really helped me with constipation I have had from Nexium and now Prevacid.

I hardly ever have to take a stool softener. I also add the Magnesium Plus they have here and that also helps.

I do keep my Jarro-Dolphius in the refrigerator. I only take 1 a day/night when I think about it and it has worked great.

Take care,
    Faye
  8. I have Fibromyalgia, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, CFS, and MCS. I started having trouble with the Diarrhea aspect of IBS about July. I'm too drug sensitive to use any of the OTC remedies. I had been using some homeopathic remedies, and they worked out pretty good. But it seemed like by July that every time I ate anything, especially a protien food, that I immediately had to rush to the bathroom. Sometimes I didn't make it in time. I finally went to see the NP. One thing that I have found besides homeopathy is drinking Organic plain Kefir, which has 10 active cultures, as opposed to maybe 5 active cultures in Yogurt. About the only problem with drinking Kefir is the expense.

The NP has suggested some older Crohns/IBS drugs, that I have researched. I'm not very happy with her suggestions. One of the drugs has a direct conflict with Presnisone, and Benadryl. I need to be able to have available to me at all times, Prednisone for any hidden food allergen that I could be exposed to. This has happened with some organic products that have undeclared wheat, or nuts, or whatever on my food allergen list. Then, I use Benadryl to get to sleep at night.

I am fairly frustrated by this. I wish I knew what to try. I do know that with the amount of kefir that I need every week just to be able to get out of the house, is going to break the bank!