Glasses vs. contact lenses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maleficent4310, Nov 19, 2002.

1. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

Was just wondering if anyone eles who wears contacy lenses has has any problems with dryness, burning or blured vision? I feel like I ask you all alot of questions, but I am still feeling out the fibro. I am not sure what is the fibro and what is just me. Thank you all for all the help you have been giving me. I love that I found you all.
    Lisa
  2. maleficent4310

Was just wondering if anyone eles who wears contacy lenses has has any problems with dryness, burning or blured vision? I feel like I ask you all alot of questions, but I am still feeling out the fibro. I am not sure what is the fibro and what is just me. Thank you all for all the help you have been giving me. I love that I found you all.
    Lisa
  3. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

My contacts drive me up the wall from time to time. Just this morning my right contact was hurting me and causing my vision to blur. I kept taking it out and washing it but it was clean. My eye felt scratched. After awhile the irritation went away. (Thank God 'cause I can't find my glasses! LOL) I'm so glad you posted this because I didn't know if it was just me or fms either. I believe it has alot to do with this dd. My eyes dry out too but mainly when I go into a store with bright lights.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even when I drink a lot of fluids, my eyes are sometimes dry. Some of our meds cause this. I only wear one contact anymore - monovision, but if I'm extremely tired, it doesn't work very well because monovision puts extra demands on the brain.

That's when I dig out the progressive lens glasses. They are great for the computer because at any distance, they are in focus.

Love, Mikie
  5. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Definitely! It's a real problem for me right now. I get a lot of eye pain, dryness, itchiness and big problems with blurry vision. It actually scares me quite a lot, and I keep thinking I've got optic neuritis or something, then ten minutes later, my vision will be pin-sharp. Then later on, it will be blurred like crazy again. It really is quite bothersome. I've been checked out by a consultant opthalmologist, who diagnosed some signs of early cataracts and also PVD, thus accounting for glare, flare, halos and floaters. However, the blurring can not be so easily explained. It is most likely due to fatigue of the eyes muscles, (and indeed it seems worse when I'm more tired), but I guess a neurological explanation is still possible. You might find the following site helpful, as I did: http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp
    Best wishes,
    Marcus
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The news just carried a story about new soft contacts which retain even more wetness yet allow air to the eyes. They can be worn at night, which I personally would never do, but they might be more comfortable.

Love, Mikie
  7. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I am just now getting glasses to see far away (near-sided I think is what they call it). I'm not really looking forward to them, but I'll give it a shot. I couldn't do contacts - I have trouble putting eye drops in, never mind my finger with a lense on it.

I'm not sure if my sight problem is FM related, or maybe, I'm just getting old (only 40). LOL

Lisa
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

Since I was in my late 30's I have needed reading glasses for small print that just continues to shrink. lol Last year, before knowing why I felt so lousy I went to my ophthamologist and asked for a prescription for progressive lenses. Since I got used to them I won't go anywhere without them. It's so wonderful being able to see where ever I am, whatever I'm doing.

Before I was always putting my glasses down and then spending quite a while looking for them. Some years my classes became my glasses finders. Now I never have that problem. I also hated it when I needed to have them on to read, but also needed to be able to look across the classroom to be sure my darlings were doing what they were supposed to be doing!

I've read that progressive lenses are the best way to go for either CFS or FM, can't remember which, but I have both. I certainly agree with that. I can't imagine wearing contact lenses.

Barbara
  9. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I"m 55 and been wearing contact since 14 years old.But lately last year my contacts(hard) started blurring,and my eyes are dry 2 years ago i had the start of a cataract,and was dianosied with night blindness(this was old news heck i coulnt see to drive at nite for years and years LOL)I dont know if fms is the problem or not,but i love my contacts,the dr wont put me in soft because ive wore hard since a child and the hard give better vision than the soft,I wouldnt sleep in the any way i think your eyes need the rest at nite.LindaGa
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry, I can't remember which channel ran the story; it was a local news show. I would just ask at the opticians; they should know about it.

Love, Mikie
  11. sybil

sybil New Member

in 1997,they were fine at first.then i would only have them in for 30 minutes and they would fall out,my eyes were so dry.
    because i have acute astigmatism i can't wear soft lenses and i have worn glasses since i was 4 years old.

the optician said it was down to the size of my eyeballs,which are apparently quite large.it doesn't matter how much i drink,or blink,because the surface of my eyes are so large,they never gets wet enough to wear lenses.

the optician decided lenses were unsuitable for me,because my eyes would become damaged because they weren't wet enough.so i know i will never be able to wear them.

my solution is to buy really nice designer frames,expensive yes,but worth every penny as i can't see without them.

since i started with FMS my eyes have become drier and i always have liquid tears around,because they can become very sore.

sybilxxx
  12. maleficent4310

I am greatful for all the responses. It really helps. Now I know there is not too much I can do. I guess I will not spend more money on lenses. I still have a few pair that I can waer on special ocations, but for everyday, I guess I should stick to my trusty glasses.
    Thank you all again,
    Lisa