Gloom and panic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mlrarr, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Does anyone ever get the "something terrible is about to happen" just out of the blue. A friend of mine said its a form of depression. I dont feel depressed. For the last three days I walk around feeling like im afraid of something for no reason. Its on and off. I really hate this dd. Just when you think you have a grip on everything then its something else.
    Ok now if it is anxiety does anyone have alternative meds they take for it.
    Thanks for any info you can pass my way...

2. lpn9999

lpn9999 New Member

My daughter had those symptoms and they were considered part of her anxiety. She was already diagnosed with clinical depression. She was essentially housebound. Treatment with Cymbalta and a low dose of Seroquel has let her function again. She is now trying to slowly wean off the Seroquel, and so far symptoms have not returned. Not sure what alternatives would help.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

Ok this one threw me for a loop.

I always figured it was intution or somethhing because alot of times when I got this feeling something did happen!

Now its possibly this dd most of the time?

Sorry no med advice. I usually just tell myself to chill.

Hope things get better
  4. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

For the most part it is anxiety. But I have always had "eerie feelings" when a fanly member has died. The feeling drived me nuts.

Good luck,
  5. Sunspot

Sunspot New Member

Hi Melinda,

I have been feeling extremely anxious lately because my financial circumstances have really bottomed out since LTD cut me off. I am appealing but it will take months, and of course I may not be successful... Next week I have a roommate moving into my livingroom to help me pay my rent. Big changes! And meanwhile I have to clean out cupboards and move stuff around to make room for her. Anyway...

Some days I was nearly in tears, and constantly feeling on the verge of overwhelm. Finally today I remembered I had these Ashwagandha capsules. It's an ayurvedic herb. I took 2 in the morning and 2 this afternoon, and sailed through an evening event where I was in charge of a raffle and even did a bit of public speaking in front of about 35 people using a microphone.. I'm just amazed! That's something that would have me a basket case even without all the extra stress!

Another useful alternative is a Bachflower remedy (like homeopathy) called Rescue Remedy. Both would be available at a health food store.

P.S. I also tried 5HTP a few days ago. It didn't seem to help at all, at all. But I just read today in a wonderful book called The Chemistry of Joy (about nutrition and other strategies for depression and anxiety) by Henry Emmons, M.D., that if your serotonin receptors are extremely sensitive 5HTP can actually make you MORE anxious initially, until they become more used to the increased serotonin. Then you start to feel calmer and more peaceful.

I'd also recommend Feeling Good or The Feeling Good Handbook, both by Dr. David Burns, for cognitive self-therapy and because the second one has an excellent self-test to figure out how depressed and how anxious you are.

Anyway, best of luck with what you try, Melinda!
  6. poets

poets Member

Wow! Can I ever relate to you. I get that feeling often and it comes right out of the blue. My doctor said I had generalized anxiety disorder. The only thing that has ever helped me has been drugs such as benzodiazepines.
    (Valium etc.) It seems that doctors don't like to give these for fear of the patients getting addicted. So I usually take some Valerian root, and drink Chamomile tea. Sometimes that will help a little.

I can sympathize with you. It's a terrible feeling.
    Hope you find something that can help with it.

7. greatgran

greatgran Member

This is a horrible feeling, I deal with it everyday. It seems worse of the morning. I awake with the doom and gloom feeling and what bad thing will happen today.

I take xanax which takes the edge off but lately it doesn't seem to be working as well.

Fear, seems I am afraid of what might happen, afraid to go to doctors, go places etc. I think its because I feel so darn bad.

As for me I feel its a part of the CFS/FM because I can't do, plan and go. So the Anxiety / depression has set in.

Before it gets out of hand or a 24/7 feeling talk this over with you doctor.

Sorry, you are feeling this way.

God Bless,
  8. ChyC

ChyC New Member

our illness &/or illnesses that we are also in tune with our intuitions as well. We feel so much and intensely most times. I have always had this for it runs in my family - we just know about some things that will happen. It don't scare me anymore, it's just a part of me and I've come to embrace it.

9. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Thanks so much for all the help. I am going to try some of the things listed...
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Yes I had this in years past. What really helped me was something called EFT (emotional freedom techniques) There is a free 79 page manual you can download from the web.

There are many members here who have also used EFT. You can search on the older posts here for information.

A year ago, I printed out that manual and kept it with me everyday - doing the exercises. It is very simple - a combo of accupressure on specific areas and certain affirmations.

I can be like a miracle for some people. For me, when I started it, I did have major changes. I was in a state of complete shutdown due to years of illness, stress, etc.

With EFT you do tapping on a area of your upper chest and/or your outer hand. At the same time you repeat some specific affirmations. Accupressure has been around for thousands of years. It won't hurt to try it.

You should read the entire manual to understand, then see what happens.. (There are options to purchase more information but you can learn alot and work with the free manual) - I also receive their newsletter and read it. I never had to purchase anything.

EFT is related to Neuro Linquistic Programming. The founder is a student of "A Course in Miracles" if you know that work.

What is EFT?

EFT is based on a new discovery regarding the body's subtle energies. Simply stated, it is an emotional version of acupuncture, except needles aren't necessary.

Instead, you stimulate well established energy meridian points on your body by tapping on them with your fingertips.

The process is easy to memorize and is portable so you can do it anywhere. It launches off the EFT Discovery Statement which says...

"The cause of all negative emotions is a disruption in the body's energy system."

And because our physical pains and diseases often appear to be connected with our emotions the following statement has also shown merit...

"Our unresolved negative emotions are major contributors to most physical pains and diseases."

This common sense approach draws its power from (1) time-honored Eastern discoveries that have been around for over 5,000 years and (2) Albert Einstein, who told us back in the 1920's that everything (including our bodies) is composed of energy.

These ideas have been largely ignored by Western Healing Practices and that is why EFT can work where nothing else does. `

How do I learn EFT?

Free start for beginners: You can learn all the basics for free by getting our Free Get Started Package. It includes the 79 page EFT Manual that gives you the theory and all the tapping points.

You can start using EFT (although in a beginner's way) immediately after reading it. The Get Started Package also subscribes you to our free and highly informative EFT Insights Newsletter.

This very popular e-zine comes out several times per month and is loaded with tips, announcements and how-to's.

Once you have seen how well EFT clears out emotional debris, your next step is to notice how physical ailments start to fade.

Headaches, back pains and other discomforts often tend to improve or vanish. Your vision may become clearer and everyday stress takes less toll on your system.

Accordingly, you can apply it to just about everything. That is one of the most astonishing things about it. You use the same basic procedure for your fear of public speaking as you do for improving your golf score.

You can also use it for everything from the common cold to multiple sclerosis (consult your physician, of course). Further, we have had reported successes for nearly every emotional issue on the books...including fear, trauma, depression, grief and schizophrenia.

Some consider it the missing link in the pursuit of health and happiness. Once you truly recognize the Universal nature of EFT you will may wish to join our growing throng of enthusiasts.

Possible EFT limitations

I'm not saying here that EFT is perfect. We don't get 100%. But it usually works well and the results are sometimes spectacular. It can work where nothing else does and it represents a Doorway to a new Healing High-Rise.

You will find that EFT is usually quite gentle and you can often achieve substantial relief with little or no pain. This is not true for everyone, however. Some people's issues are so intense that the mere mention of them causes emotional or physical pain. But, given time, even these may be resolved efficiently with EFT.

A small percentage of our population (best estimate is less than 3%) have serious emotional and physical disabilities and thus newcomers to EFT are advised to exercise common sense in this regard. While you can use EFT to generate impressive relief for many people, please consult qualified health practiitioners where appropriate and don't go where you aren't qualified.

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2008]
  11. slammed

slammed Member

i have found that the longer i've had CFS, the more constant is this"gloom and panic" feeling.

i attribute it to all the life-threatening aspects that come from this overall progressive illness. i just don't seem to get used to the feeling of impending death.

optimism almost gone / hope almost gone. i continue to fail to improve or stay level, but indeed am going way downhill pretty fast.

sorry if this isn't uplifting; i'm trying to be truthful and mean no disrespect to anyone.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Helped me. First, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was a God send. You can look it up online to see what it is. Basically, it is recognizing when these thoughts start and how to circumvent them. It takes some practice. I was catastrophizing. One thought would lead to another until I was overanxious about what might happen. CBT taught me to stop this downward spiral with the first intrusive thought. I was seeing a therapist at the time but I had already read about CBT and was practicing the technique.

Second, and you may not want to consider medication, Klonopin is, among other things, an anti-anxiety med. It stops the runaway firing of the brain's neurons to quiet the constant anxious thoughts. It also helps with insomnia and sensory overload. It has helped me immensely with pain as it stops the pain loop in the brain. The longer I've been on it, the better it has worked. It is in the Benzo family and some insurance, like Medicare, will not cover it. An alternative is neurontin. Both increase GABA in the brain as do Lunesta and Lyrica. These drugs can cause a physical dependency and need to be weaned off of if one ever wants to quit.

Love, Mikie