Glucosamine and Chondroitin and MSM..HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadeedidit, Apr 2, 2003.

1. kadeedidit

kadeedidit New Member

I am having lots of trouble with my hands and want to start the Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements. I'm just not sure how big a dosage to take. I also see where MSM is good for the joints and tissue. Can anyone tell me how many mg's is a good place to start. I see in my Swanson's vitamin book where you can get the three combined in one tablet. Just need some advice as to where to start with these. Am hoping they will help my hands.....THANKS.....KADEE
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

When you buy the supp. it will give the recomended dosage. I have always found it helpful to start off slow and increase the dosage over time. If it says to take 3 I start with one and work my way up. Sometimes, less helps and it is unnecessary to take the full dosage. This saves me money also

The most important thing to remember is to take the most pure, unadulterated brand you can find. All those additives are not helpful and they take away from the potential benefits of the supp.

You truly "Get what you pay for" when it comes to supps.

I hope this helps. Good luck and I hope you get some relief. I know that the combo of the three helps me.

teawah
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Start slow and build up. You can find the doseage you need for relief that way and not spend more than you need to. Also, chondroitin is a powerful blood thinner, so you don't want to take so much that you can't stop bleeding. I was taking the maximum dose of Glucosamine/Choindroitin/MSM, until I cut myself shaving one day and ended up with nine bandaids on my legs cause it would not stop bleeding. Now I take 3/4 as much and it is just fine. I saw a study that said taking chondroitin can lower the risk of fatal heart attack by 400%. The MSM hs not helped my pain, but it sure helps my allergies! The Glucosamine has helped my degenerative disc disease immensely, and is also keeping my Golden Retriever going (he takes a powder form in his food). Before taking it, he was limping so bad from arthritis, we thought we might have to put him down. When it works on an animal, you know it's not placebo effect.
    Klutzo
  4. jka

jka New Member

i take all 3 and have been for about 4-5 yrs. it's great for arthritis and inflamation.i take the recommended dose for glucosamine and chondroitin.msm you can take up to 8000 mg. that's how much my husband takes and it's helped his bad back a lot.i haven't had any bad reactions from any of these. with the msm you just have to find the dose that works for you. i only take 3000 mg a day.

good luck
    kathy c
  5. healing

healing New Member

if you are allergic to shellfish -- it has some part of shellfish in it and you could have a reaction. (Read the fine print.)
  6. kadeedidit

kadeedidit New Member

I'm starting the glucosamine and chondroitin. I never realized that the chondroitin was a blood thinner. Guess I need to research a little more. Is it allowed on here for you to tell me what brands you buy. I'm not sure where to get the purest form of supplements..........Thanks again...........KADEE
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I use combination capsules of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM from Nutritional Sciences Institute, known as NSI for short,and I get it online at Vitacost. Both my husband and I have been taking it for years and are very pleased.
    Klutzo
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Cosamine is a combo of Glucosamine/Chrondroitin and I was amazed when my orthopedic surgeon offered it to me. Apparently some MDs are now prescribing it for arthritis so be sure to check with your doc - it sure saves money. I used to get mine from Puritan Pride which has good prices and still use them for the MSM and other vitamins...they have been around for years and seem to have a good reputation.

They typically come with instructions to take 3 tablets (or gel tabs) a day with a meal and if that doesn't help you within 90 days you can increase. Only side effects I know of is stomach upset or diaherra but I haven't had either.

Hope that helps.
    Hugs & Blessings
    Shaky