Glutamic Acid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slowdreamer, Mar 26, 2006.

1. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Recently I have had great results in the digestion dept with a capsule containing
    Betaine HCL
    Glutamic Acid
    Pepsin
    I take the capsules with bigger meals which usually challenge my very weak system.I would say this combination plus good probiotics have been the best things in 14 yrs of very poor digestion.
    I now have a question. This glutamic acid which is meant to heal the gut...how is it connected to glutathionine and glutamine.? thankyou Oracles.
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Glutamic Acid is an amino acid, a building block of protein. I am not absolutely sure, but glutathionine and glutamine are probably similar structures; ie amino acids or modified amino acids.
    If you are prone to migraine, you will want to stay AWAY from things containing "glutam". Free glutamates cause nerve hypersensitivity, which is why they put it in Chinese food- your taste nerves 'think' it tastes better because they have been overstimulated. The problem is, other nerves get hyperstimulated as well. In my experience, extra neurological stimulation in fibro people is not advisable!
    The Pepsin aids digestion, the Betaine HCL I don't know about, but I avoid glutamic acid and other glutamic compounds as much as humanly possible.
    Tibbie
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It will be present in your body and doubles as a neurotransmitter, whether you ingest MSG or not. MSG is a synthetic counterpart, and is not chemically similar to glutamic acid (which is sometimes called glutamate, hence some confusion), or is it the same as glutamine.

Glutamine and glutamic acid are related to each other as amino acids, because they can be converted into each other in the body.

Jeanne
  4. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Thanks Jeanne And Tibbie.
    I will just hope that the glutamic acid converts to glutathione as needed.
    Spoke to a coeliac yesterday and she said she was also getting a huge improvement with the above supplement..I notice my C.F.S. activates if my protein consumption drops..There is a lot of glutamic acis in animal protein so it makes you wonder.