Glutamine: A Trojan horse in ammonia neurotoxicity ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dantes, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Dantes

Dantes New Member

I am trying to resolve a lot of gut issues, so I just started taking Glutamine again. I had tried it several years ago but was not on it long enough to see great results. I thought I would try it again and see if it helps.

I do know it does some things in my brain, that is evident, I just hope that it does more in my gut.

I also decided to research Glutamine, even more, to brush up on what I already new. That is when I came upon an article claiming that Glutamine may not be as benign as once thought.

I thought I would share the information and see what others think.

I just skimmed the article but I believe it does not apply to chronically ill people, like us. However, if the ideas are true, then they will effect everyone's glutamate/glutamine system.

So, it may shed some light on why some people have had bad experiences with Glutamine and why some have not been effected at all.

This could help resolve one dysfunction pathway and possibly lump some into a certain sub-type.

It might also help distinguish those that have a destroyed gut [stress, ABX, NSAIDS, etc.] from those that have possible Enterovirus [or other intestinal] infections.

I don't know... I'm under the influence of Glutamine right now, so maybe this makes no sense at all ?

I am curious to know what others think.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

couldn't get the article to show
  3. Dantes

Dantes New Member

Go here :

Then click on " Full Text: HTML, PDF "

It is a free, full, article. It seems we must be using different web browsers and maybe that is why the first link did not show up.

Try the new link and let me know if it works for you.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Glutamine is an amino acid, one of the most abundant free amino acids present in human blood, under normal circumstances -- even without supplementation. It has a fairly good track record of being helpful as a supplement when administered to people in catabolic or post-traumatic states.

While there are some "scary findings" in the study you link to, it looks to me as if the findings are primarily based on vitro studies of neurons & astrocytes being flooded by glutamine, while separated from the wholeness of the biochemical milieu of the body. Brain biochemistry is very complex. When it's shown that there are adverse effects to humans, rather than just rat brain neurons, I'll be interested in digging deeper.

Glutamine is an amino acid that very common in many foods. I've had bad experiences with supplement glutamine which I later discovered was derived from wheat, which I'm seriously intolerant of. Other brands of glutamine (wheat & gluten free) I find to be helpful.

Anyone who finds or suspects that a supplement is causing them problems, should pull back on the dosing or discontinue it.

Most foods, when you get down to the minutia, have both a light and a dark side to them.

Best wishes.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that link worked - thanks....I bookmarked the article to read when I am a bit more alert
  6. ruti

ruti Member

thanks for the article. It is alarming to me.
    I was adviced to tale a product that has much glutamine in to try to "fix" my leaking gut as it is known as helpful to build the membranes.
    I feel this is the most important thing I can do to fix my problems. Now I am not sure.

Do people here have a good experience taking glutamine?

7. ruti

ruti Member

Thanks. The leaky gut is probably not from food. |It can be a result of candida or other parasites (and probably no body knows - doctors have never heard about it)
    I am already doing gluten free, dairy free and low fructose diet!!! (which is very hard) and for a long time I am on very limited sugar / sweet diet and very little carbo.

8. Dantes

Dantes New Member

SnooZQ, could you let me know what Glutamine supplements are non-wheat/gluten derived ?

I'm using the NSI brand that does not mention the source. I also could not find any "gluten free" writing on the jar.

Also, what kind of gut healing diets do most of you follow ? I have some books that offer a lot of help but first hand knowledge always trumps things in print.

I would really like to get things straight and planned out. Although, it is kinda hard because I am on Remeron, for sleep, and it boosts hunger : (

I really just need some kind of "healing" neutral [or promoting], hypoglycemic, food.

I cannot tolerate most raw veggies, etc. Seems the only thing that doesn't kill me is meat... what does that mean ?

Anyway, I have digressed too much. I welcome any advice and I hope the article, I have provided, helps.
  9. ruti

ruti Member

Hi Dantes - I didn't know there is an issue of gluten free with glutamine products. I am also keeping gluten-free diet.

I got a recommendation from my neutritionist (P.Hd.) for a good product he knows to try to heal leaky gut with Glutamine as a major part of it. It is called Perm A vite powder by Nutricology - an American company in California.
    I do not find on it if it is gluten-free.
    (it is not so easy for me to take it since it is a powder that you need to mix in water or juice. It doesn't disolves so well in water.
    The other thing that might be of concern (at least to me who are not usually eating seafood beacuse of jewish tradition even when I don't keep Kosher) - it does include N Acatyl-D-Glucosamine (shrimp, crab, lobster)

Take care Ruti
  10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Glutamine in supps is usually derived from a food source. Wheat is a fairly inexpensive source of glutamine. Cabbage is another fine source of glutamine.

Alas, I am not in the loop with supp manufacturers as far as all the details (sourcing or otherwise) of every brand. Supp ingredient sourcing questions can usually be answered by the manufacturer.

I do well with Jarrow brand L-glutamine. However, I don't believe in overdoing the dosing -- I take about 1/8th tsp ( approx 250 mg.) of the powder, once or twice per day. This is one supp that is very easy to take, dissolves well & is not unpleasant. Powder supps are generally cheapest.

FWIW, I've found that taking glutamine at bedtime is great! Perhaps because the amino acid acts in part as a growth-hormone releaser? All I know is, I sleep sounder when I take it at bedtime.

For gut healing, I use probiotics, DGL (a form of licorice) and glutamine. I also stay away from foods that I'm intolerant of. Many, in my case.

Best wishes.