Glutamine, just a question. if anyone knows

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys
    I'm researching on gut health again. Due to reaccuring pains in my stomach.(and IBS)
    I am having tests ran in Aug.,.... that was the soonest appoint. for a colonoscopy. (that otta be fun) :)
    Is there a difference in L Glutamine and just plain Glutamine? are they the same supplement?
    thats all
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

See,..I have L glutamine on hand,... but I don't have Glutamine. so I started again taking my L Glut.

some books/sites refer to taking Glutamine while others refer to the L Glutamine.
    maybe mercolas site will tell me for sure.
    I thought they were one in the same. ???
    not sure.

3. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Tandy,

I take L-glutamine and was advised to take it first thing in the morning and last thing at night to help my digestive system heal.

As far as I am aware the L is usually in front of all amino acids? so not sure if there is a difference?
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm gonna assume they are the same unless I find out otherwise.
    Thats what I'm looking for,... supplements that aid in the healing of the digestive tract.
    I started digestive enzymes again too.

and now i'm looking into Licorice root.
    I've read that that is also good.
    (peppermint oil too. but I'm afraid of that one, being that I have heartburn)
    take care,..& thanks for answering~
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi Tandy,
    I am taking L-glutamine to try and heal a precancerous growth in my stomach, and also because it is supposed to raise growth hormone, which should help all aspects of this illness.

I do not know of any difference between glutamine and L-glutamine, but I do know you should slowly increase your dose, watching carefully to make sure your brain symptoms do not get worse. If they do,lower your dose until it stops, because that means you are taking more than you need and the excess is being converted to glutamate, a neurotoxin for us. I ended up being able to take one flat teaspoon full, once daily. Any more than that and I was in super fog city.

My GI doc told me peppermint is excellent for your tummy issues, but a disaster for GERD, so he told me to avoid it. I sometimes drink peppermint tea for indigestion, but I make sure it is at least 3 hours before I plan to lie down, so it does not make the heartburn worse.

I have to take prescription level digestive enzymes. I took OTC enzymes for years, because they are recommended for this illness, but I really NEEDED them, ie. I could not eat anything but hot cereal and canned fruit without them. I did not realize this was not normal. If you ever find that you are truly unable to eat without them, please go and tell a GI doctor, ASAP. 90% of my pancreas was destroyed by tiny gallstones that had backed up into the ducts, so my enzymes were eating my pancreas, which will cut my life span by at least 1/5, even with the meds.

P.S. Re: licorice root - unless you have low blood pessure, make sure you get deglycerizzed licorice root. The regular kind can raise blood pressure too much.

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Its great seeing your reply/input~
    I apreciate it :)
  7. hensue

hensue New Member

L- may aid in fat metabolism & regulation.
    Synergistic with Coq10 to boost energy& fight fatique.
    A natural component of muscles
    Low levels found in Vegans, FMS, CFS
    The Heart Nutrient
    L-Carnitine for Mitochondria and Mental function

reading from book
    Acetyl L-Carnitine Important for energy &cognitive function
    Stabilized form of L-carnitine metabolite
    Helps transfer and utilization of long chain fatty acids for energy
    Slows cerebral aging
    Helps prevent nerve damage associated with diabetes and sciatica
    Several major studies have shown that ALC can slow the progression of Alzheimer"s
    Like i said just telling you what the catalog says.
    I was wondering what the differnce was. I dont take it
    Does any body out there take either one?
    Doe any out there take lyosine free form? if you do what is that?
    Does anybody take lyosine free form?