Glutathione

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Has anyone tried treatment with glutathione. My doctor uses glutatione injections in her treatment protocol.
    Would so much appreciate hearing from someone who has tried this.
    Thank,
    Gretchen
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

My doctor has me on a "Honey-Glutathione" protcol for detoxing. As we age and because of our illnesses, we don't have enough glutathione. We must have this in our bodies in order to detox metals. Otherwise, if you pull the toxins out of storage and don't have enough of this; you can get really sick.

Also there are precursors you can take to help your body make more glutathione...like Immunopro (you can buy it online at this website), Glycene too will do this and the supplement, NAC....You can look up the protocol under my username for more info. So far it has helped alot.

Hope this helps,

skierchik
  3. I did Glutathine I.V. three times a week for 6 months....

the neurologist I flew to Florida to see last July, author of "the better brain book," is a huge advocate in it's use, for the treatment of MS, ALS, Parkinson's disease, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injuries, Heavy Metal Toxicity, etc... and I see here that the FFC's seem to be using them for their protocols as well, too,.

The only thing (but it is a HUGE thing..) I can really tell you about it for me... is that I did seem to walk better and still do(maybe?) I don't know, I haven't been well enough to be out of my house much, to really walk much, to know, but, when I was on the glutathione, I had more stamina, and tolerance than I had in years, so, I did seem to do better.

Now that I had to have my port-a-cath out, due to rejecting it, I have no way to recieve intraveneous treatments, anymore, not to mention, it was all out of pocket, and VERY exspensive for the amount I was on monthly, and I couldn't afford to continue that treatment,

But, I kind of wish I could, I'm supposed to be on the glutathione cream now. I hope it works well. I don't see how a cream could work near as well as 23/2400ml 3x's week, though.. I don't know..

We're talking about $38/mo. vs. $415/mo. though!

So, It's good stuff, and most people seem to have way better results than even I did from it.

I for some reason, always seem to get the best benefit I'm ever going to, out of something, the first one or two times..

This was true from it, as well...it stopped my numb hands and burning feet, with the first 2 infusions I had down in florida, for over a week... but with every other infusion once I got home, the results were never* again that profound. Ever.

But, over the 6 months, I a had better, more steady gait. And my right knee, just does not buckle on me, the way it did constantly.... it still does, but I have not fallen once to the ground, the way I did before treatment. Not once.

Take care,

Hope this helps,

Laura.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is just one part of trying to rebuild my immune system. I also use colostrum and probiotics.

Love, Mikie
  5. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Thanks so much for the replies regarding glutatione.
    I feel better about trying it now.

I so want to feel better soon, as I am going to be a grandmother for the first time the first of April. My only child, my precious daughter, will be having a little girl on April 3rd and I want to be with her so badly. Please pray that I will feel better soon.

Thanks & love,
    Gretchen
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Congrats on the upcoming grandbaby...I have one myself and her name is....Gretchen! Love, Terri
  7. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I went to Dr. Salvato in Houston from 1999-2000 and received glutathione injections weekly for a few months. They never did anything for me.
  8. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

This is the doctor who has recommended glutathione to me.
    I have only gone to her once and they drew vials of blood.
    The lab result showed a high EBV and very low ACT?(I think that was what I heard on the phone). She mentioned on the phone that she felt glutathione would be helpful for me. I have an appointment on Thursday. Please, please tell me what you think of her. Any info would be appreciated--the good, the bad, the ugly, or whatever. I am beside myself with this disease. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am going to be a grandmother for the first time in April and want to be feeling well enough to be with my daughter at that time.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  9. skierchik

skierchik New Member

You don't have to get it in a "shot" form to have good results. Buy it in capsule form and open it up and put under your tongue for quicker effect. My doctor has me on 200mg first thing in the morning.

skierchik
  10. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Gretchen,

I don't have FM but I have a form of chronic fatigue, although it doesn't seem to be the same kind that most people have here. In 1998 I took the antibiotic Cipro and it may have caused a stroke and/or Lupus of the brain and/or Vasculitis of the brain. Still chasing a diagnosis but I have determined (though extensive GI testing) that I have food allergies and a high Lupus marker (ANA 640:1). My symptoms are as if I have 3+ drinks of alcohol in my system, some weakness, fatigue, lost some sensation in my skin (head to toe) and I see stars as if I've stood up too quickly.

I wanted you to have that background in case you think it's relevant in any way. Anyway I've followed this board since January sometime--Salvato seems to have helped some people and others have different experiences. Either way I was not impressed with her. I've seen almost 50 doctors over the past 8 years and as time has gone on, she seems to lack in some very basic fundamental areas.

For instance: I mistakenly diagnosed myself with CFIDS in 1999--about a year into my ordeal. My first visit with her was not very thorough--she jumped right into explaining some complicated biochemical theory of hers regarding chronic fatigue. She may have ordered a CBC but ordered some T-cell counts (Natural Killer cell counts and such). I told her about my numnbess, the drunken feeling and chronic diarrhea and she didn't really care to pursue this. IMO any decent doctor would have suggested a neuro workup.

Also on the first visit she cited that a certain blood test (perhaps NK cells) were often low in people with CFS/CFIDS and IF mine turned out low, then the Glutathione shots may help. She also speculated that I may have Lyme disease but it was up to me to ask her to test for these very things. The NK test came back normal. In fact it was in the upper end of the normal range but she suggested the shots anyway. I took them once a week for a few months--only thing they did was give me funny dreams and make me a tad restless during the night.

The only good thing about her was that she would test for anything I wanted but a lot of doctors are willing to do that in my experience. Also, she seems to have way too many patients. She never took any decent time with me and was not a good listener.

I think there is a financial conflict of interest with her and the glutathione shots. After all, she sells them. It's in her financial interest to do so. Kind of like going to a doctor who also owns a pharmacy--you'd never truly know what's driving the doctor to prescribe something.

Just in general, she doesn't seem to be interested in finding a diagnosis--at least that's my experience with her. I probably saw her 8-10 times over a 6-10 month period. In sum, I wouldn't recommend her UNLESS you have been to scores of doctors and have had thorough workups and you are just looking for someone who will take suggestions for things to test for and things to prescribe.

If you live in Houston, I can recommend some really good doctors.
  11. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Yes, I live in Houston and would very much appreciate recommedation of "good doctors." The doctors I have seen do not really know or believe CFS/FM is a real disease.
    For the most part they keep doing test after test trying to find a "ligitimate" illness. If you can believe it, I was on prednisone for a year for a wrong diagnosis of temporal arteritis. Through a process of illimination, one doctor finally said he thought I had FM, but really did not know anyway to treat it or really believed it was a true medical disease. Wanted me to try Effexor. I'm really not clinacally depressed, only situationally depressed from the pain and fatigue of this dreadful chronic fatigue. I am truly desperate to get better. I am so tired of not being able to do anything or even get out of the house except for a few groceries. Then, I have to come right home and go to bed to get the strength to put the groceries up. I'm too tired to write anymore right now, but would so appreciate any input from you.

Many thanks,
    Gretchen
  12. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

I just read my last post and can't believe that I spelled elimination wrong. Maybe I was thinking of illumination or something. How can I have taught English at the college-level and now have degenerated to this. I am so tired that my brain has become weak.

Thanks for listening,
    Gretchen
  13. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Also, typed clinically wrong. Please forgive my terrible brain fog.

Gretchen
  14. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Thanks so very much for your reply re doctors. I think I have heard of Sessoms, but it is very difficult to get an appointmant with her.

I will email you later.

Thanks again,
    Gretchen
  15. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Don't worry about misspellings - most of us are so foggy we'll never notice!LOL!
    I have heard that as far as oral Glutathione goes the reduced form is best. I have also heard that if your body doesn't make it (i.e. if it's supplemented) it will not be used efficiently by your body and that's why many people take the precursers to enable their body to make it.
    That said, I have a friend who was helped by the intravenous. I have not tried it.

My name is Gretchen too! Named after my Grandmother. I guess the name means "little Margaret" which makes me very thankful I didn't end up as a Marge! Apologies to any Marges out there! :)
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I pray all goes well.

My only grandchild is now 8 months old and he is soooooo sweet. They really are little blessings.

Love, Mikie
  17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I looked under your profile, was very curious about the "honey glutathione" protocol, but could not find it. It was not labeled as such in your posts and I can't really look at all of them, so could you post the exact name of the post which has this protocol? It sounds very interesting.

Thank you!

Mary
  18. NifferA

NifferA New Member

I have been generally pleased with my treatment from Dr. Salvato. I have been seeing her for just over a year. I find her very attentive, but I guess people sometimes have different experiences or perceptions.

I took the glutathione injections and had good results initially (first 6 weeks). I continued getting the injections for an additional 6 weeks, but saw no additional benefits. I actually got a little worse. I then began taking sublingual ATP and continued taking that for several months. That also helped for a short period of time, but later I saw no benefit.

Dr. Salvato has been open to trying various protocols, some at my suggestion and others she recommended. I continue to see mixed results, but I think that is the nature of FM/CFS. I have some unrelenting symptoms that must be kept under control but I have periods of time where I flare and have to have a change of treatment to see results.

She has a busy practice, but I have never had a problem getting an appointment. She (her staff) does a great job filling out the disability paperwork. I was approved for SSDI on my first attempt.

Good luck, whomever you decide to see!