Glutathione

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Mar 19, 2007.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

This is the reason I do not use this supplement> Dr. Blaylock is an expert on brain poisons and how mercury, msg and aspartame affect us. Quote: Supplements to AVOID> cysteine, glutathione (converted to cysteine in the BRAIN),glycine, asparate, aspartame. NAC is safe because it's converted to cysteine within the NEURON where it is then converted to glutathione. Cystine is also safe.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I wonder if you could cut and paste the site where you saw this? I can't imagine any clinician believing that Glutathione is anything but helpful. And are you referring to Russel Blaylock?? Are you possible confusing Glutathione with Glutamate? or Glutamic Acid? (related to monosodium glutamate)

I just tooke this one sentence from a page of his.

N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC)- 750 mg a day. This is a substance that in cells is converted to glutathione. Glutathione is your cell's major protection against free radicals produced by toxins such as aspartame.. In addition, NAC removes mercury. NAC also enhances detoxification.

This is the link:

http://aspartametruth.com/blaylock/wtdaspartame.html[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2007]
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Woofmom, I found where you read Supplements to AVOID: Glutathione. I did a cut & paste of the discussion. I believe this was in reference to a state of brain excitotoxicity due to hypoglycemia, which can be very common in newborns and toddlers. In this case, the brain was already in a state of excitotoxicty, and giving Glutathione would be contraindicated. I don't think he meant that Glutathione is a supplement to avoid (as a blanket statement). But I could be wrong.

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:39:02 -0500
    To: add-holistic@mlists.net
    Subject: ADD excitotoxins

Thanks for the questions.

Concerning the person who inquired about the baby having the unbilical cord wrapped around its neck, and the relationship to hypoxia induced excitotoxicity. If the cord was indeed compressing the carotid arteries or interfering with breathing then sufficient hypoxia/ischemia to the baby's brain could occur and produce a rise in brain glutamate and aspartate levels. This is a natural response to low oxygen levels (hypoxia) and reduced blood supply ( ischemia). The degree of damage would depend on the severity of the hypoxia/ischemia episode and its duration. We know that the fetal brain is especially sensitive to excitotoxic injury. And, as I stated in the post, excitotoxin excess during these critical developmental stages can result in destruction of groups of brain cells ( called nuclei) and alter how the brain's pathways would form.

The former would cause damage to such critical areas as the arcuate nuclei ( most sensitive), supraoptic nuclei and paraventricular nuclei of the hypothalamus. This can result in endocrine problems later in life. It is interesting that thyroid problems have been seen in cases of ADD with increased frequency. In fact, hypothalamic axis disorders are seen in 50% of such children. This could present as problems with reproduction later in life, thyroid problems, adrenal problems, or weight problems, as well as behavioral difficulties. Obesity is one of the most common defects seen with excitotoxin hypothalamic damage. It is ironic that we are seeing a significant rise in childhood obesity and ADD.

Abnormal pathway development means that the connections ( that number in the trillions) between neurons would be altered. Minor alterations may cause little problems, but major alterations could result in severe learning difficulty, episodic outburst of violence, emotional dyscontrol and attention problems. In my book I have a whole chapter on the effects of excitotoxins on brain development. As I stated in my post, experimentally it has been shown that fetal exposure to maternal glutamate ( as MSG) resulted in profound changes in brain neurotransmitters that persisted until adulthood. It has also been shown that early postnatal exposure to glutamate can result in a 56% rise in brain free radical levels over several years.

As for nutritional ways to prevent excitotoxicity, there are several principles that have shown benefit. We know, for example, that low energy supply to neurons greatly magnifies excitotoxicity. An example of this would be hypoglycemia, which can be very common in newborns and toddlers. For example, poor dietary intake during illness, or with prolonged diarrhea, aspirin consumption, and sensitivity to certain amino acids, such as leucine sensitivity, can all cause hypoglycemia. This can not only magnify excitotoxicity but can cause the brain to release its stores of glutamate as well.

Second, low magnesium also magnifies excitotoxicity. This can occur with vomiting, poor dietary intake of prolong diarrhoea. Magnesium supplementation protects the brain from excitotoxic damage.

Here is a short list of supplements shown to protect against excitotoxicity:

acetyl- L- carnitine
    Phosphotidylserine
    Vitamin C, E, and the carotonoids ( beta carotene, lycopene, alpha carotene, etc)
    Coenzyme Q10
    N-acetyl-l-cysteine ( NAC)
    magnesium
    methylcobalamin ( Vitamin B12)
    pyridoxine, thiamine, riboflavin, niacinamide
    grape seed extract ( and other flavonoids)
    Zinc
    Juice plus+ is a well compounded formula with high concentrations of flavonoids, vitamins and minerals.

The dose depends on size and weight of the child or age of adult.

Supplements to avoid:

cysteine
    glutathione (converted to cysteine in brain )
    glycine
    aspartate
    aspartame

N-acetyl-L-cysteine is safe because it is converted to cysteine within the neuron, where it is then converted to glutathione. Cystine is also safe.

As for a list of excitotoxin names in food, the major ones are:

hydrolyzed vegetable protein
    vegetable protein
    textured protein
    hydrolyzed soy protein ( or any other processed protein)
    natural flavoring
    sodium or calcium caseinate
    yeast extract ( autolyzed yeast extract)
    monosodium glutamate ( or potasium glutamate)
    aspartame, NutraSweet, equal
    accent
    malt flavoring or extract
    broth
    bouillon
    stock

There are more, so see book. The food industry changes the names all the time.

This is the link: http://www.holisticmed.com/add/blaylock.html

4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It pertains to all excitotoxins, no matter the reason or health effects from them. I have gone from thinking I was going to die soon to feeling great. I did this by following his advice. And, if I'm not mistaken, Andrew Cutler is against glutathione also.
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

How can you tell/know if it is broken or blocked?