gluten free diet - overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pastorwife, Aug 28, 2011.

1. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

A new doc suggested that even tho I tested negative years ago for Celiac's disease, that I try a gluten free diet. Other than whole foods, or ones marked "gluten-free" I don't know what to eat. I want salad, but don't know about salad dressings...what to look for on the label. I've heard that I need to avoid certain spices like paprika (but don't know what other ones).

My CFS/FMS are roaring right now from over-doing it and this hurricane weather. Could someone please give me a list of 'rules' to follow? a list of ingredients that are gluten other than the obvious grains or words gluten?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Foods to avoid:

•Wheat, wheat berries, wheat bran, wheat germ, wheatgrass
    •Barley, barley malt, barley flour
    •Rye, rye flour, pumpernickel flour
    •Oats, oatmeal, oat flour, oat groats
    •Flour, including instant, bread, cake, enriched, graham, and all-purpose flours. Flours made from corn, millet, and rice are safe.
    •Triticale
    •Einkorn
    •Spelt
    •Semolina
    •Durum
    •Bulgar or Bulghar
    •Kamut
    •Cracker meal
    •Couscous
    •Tabbouleh
    •Tempura crumbs
    •Malt
    •Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
    •Modified food starch
    •Vegetable starch or vegetable protein
    •Gelatinized starch or pregelatinized starch
    •Natural flavorings
    •Soy sauce

The following foods can contain gluten:

•Breads, pastries, cakes, cookies, crackers, doughnuts, pies, pretzels, and all other baked goods.
    •Breakfast cereals, both hot and cold.
    •Pasta, including gnocchi, spaetzle, chow mein, lo mein, and filled pastas
    •Snack foods, especially if seasoned or highly processed.
    •Soups, gravies, and thickened sauces.
    •Breaded/Floured meats or vegetables (ie fried chicken)
    •Dumplings, meatballs, lunch meats, meat loaves (usually contain bread crumbs)
    •Beer
    •Salad dressings, Worcestershire sauce, and other condiments.

You can buy pasta made from rice. It takes a little longer to cook but tastes good. I think they also make a gluten free beer.
  3. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Thanks so much! This is a great reference. I'm gonna print it and put it in my purse. VERY much appreciated. I started the diet 2 days ago, but am sick with a sinus infection and on an antibiotic, so with all that's going on, I still feel really lousy. I'm supposed to give it 3 weeks and report back to doc with how it was for me.
  4. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Thanks! I was figuring that any form of cutting back would be beneficial. Much better than all the drugs they've had me try...which I can't take due to side-effects anyways. I'll try to keep romaine lettuce on hand. Won't be quite the same as a sandwich on bread, but close enough.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You need to learn to read labels. It's amazing where gluten shows up that you would never guess. Also, check out grocery stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joes. You can purchase gluten free breads so sandwiches don't have to become a thing of the past. There is also a gluten free soy sauce available, but I can't remember what it is called.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2011]
  6. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I was sooooooo surprised to find it in SOUP! I figured soup w/noodles would be out, but even 'vegetable and beef' soups!
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I love cheese too much to give it up.
  8. sascha

sascha Member

you can find g-f substitutes for every food-- pasta, breads, waffles, cookies, cakes, crackers, tortillas- and on and on. you can even get gluten-free oats for oatmeal if you want.

study the foods in stores- hit a health food store- Whole Foods has a g-f section that has many g-f frozen baked goods. i used to like the cranberry-orange scones. Safeway now carries gluten-free items- in frozen section also. Whole Foods has g-f breakfast bars. you can ask in stores you go to if they carry gluten-free things.

i sometimes make pancakes from walnut flour or garbanzo flour. there is a lot to experiment with! and you can find plenty of ideas and recipes online. there are plenty of g-f flours you can buy in health-food stores.

when i make gravy i thicken it with arrowroot or kudzu (from health food store). i make such a good turkey stuffing using rice bread, celery, onion, sage, thyme, butter, chicken stock.

yes- read labels very carefully. you are looking for wheat, basically, on labels. if it says wheat, don't get it. but when you search around you can find substitutes. i found a gluten-free mushroom soup at Whole Foods (expensive- i don't get it much) that can serve as a sauce or gravy. the products are out there! just start your search and you will eventually find everything you need. Trader Joe's has great brown rice tortillas.

and i guess you can have corn tortillas. it's an exciting adventure- right?? have fun- best, sascha
  9. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Thanks for the positive approach. I think if I look at it as an adventure, new and exciting, then that will help. :D
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The French Paradox. They love their bread, wine, cheese and meat and they seem to be healthier than we are. Is it just their laid-back attitude which makes the difference? They linger over their meals and spend more time in parks than we do. They also have more days off. I don't think anyone has figured it out for sure but I have to wonder why we are so sick.

I hope going gf works out for you.

Love, Mikie
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Mikie - The difference between the French and us North Americans is portion size and exercise. On this side of the Atlantic we eat waaaayyyyy too much food and don't get anywhere near enough exercise. In France a serving size of cake for example is "3 bites". Over here we are just warming up at three bites. :) They also don't eat all the processed and fast foods that we do.

The interesting thing is that countries that "used to be healthy", once a McDonalds moves into town, the younger generations are starting to become overweight and obese like North Americans.
  12. simpsons

simpsons Member

i was amazed when the wheat was taken out of my diet how much less pain i was in i was bedbound and in so much pain could hardly move

not only did it help with fibro pain but also stopped light sensitivity too

i tried grape seed but it made me feel very ill

giving up wheat also stopped the ringing in my ears too

THE FRENCH eat lots of garlic too, members of the onion family are anti biotic and stimulate immune function

i seem to remember that garlic cuts down bad fats too but not sure on that one maybe some one can correct me

they eat slowly and enjoy company and a good laugh and conversation food is a social event

good luck with cutting out wheat you can try to start again after its cut out of your diet for a while and then see the impact on your symptoms

this is how to test if a food is an intolerance in your diet. however you must be clean for a good while

and slowly does it or you will get withdrawal symptoms, its in everything so reading the label is required especially in processed foods

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, when I was in France, I was amazed at how many smoked. There was no such thing as smoke-free sections in restaurants. They also threw all their trash in the street as they walked along. I was aghast until I realized it provided jobs for street cleaners who swept up everything every night.

In Germany, the older people were in the beer parks drinking beer by 10 in the morning. They were eating greasy sandwiches made with meat and cheese. They ate lots of greasy meat for breakfast too. It was the younger ones who were in shape and out exercising.

All this was way back in 1989. I'm sure things have changed.

The one thing which stood out was how people lingered over, and enjoyed, their meals and their walks in the parks, many with their dogs. In France, they take their dogs to the restaurants. I saw them in the airport too. In Cape Coral, just over the bridge from me, some restaurants are experimenting with allowing dogs in their outside eating areas if they are well behaved. I wonder whether they have doggie bouncers :)

Love, Mikie
  14. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

this is all very interesting. I'm currently sick w/this sinus infection so right now I feel horrible. But, I've been gluten free since Friday and am sticking with it. Could I experience withdrawal from not having gluten in my body? Flu like symptoms as my body tries to adjust to the better diet?
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We were just discussing fracking over on the Chit Chat board. I saw a segment on "60 Minutes" or one of those shows, where a guy could light his tap water on fire as it came out of the faucet. Yet, the drilling co. claims the fracking they are doing is not affecting the water supply. Everyone has to drink bottled water. I wonder about all those toxins coming out of the hot water in the showers and being inhaled. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  16. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I never tried Grapeseed Extract. Just doing the gluten-free diet. I am starting to feel better, just a tad, but I'll take that over feeling worse. I just tried a gluten-free pancake mix and put blueberries in the pancakes. YUMMY!

I have added gluten-free pasta and pizza to my menu items. I also bought some GF cereals as I am a cereal person and can't skip breakfast...eggs were getting a bit monotenous (even w/adding cheese, or veggies). It was exciting to see my grocery store had GF items throughout the store. It takes much longer just to buy a few items as I have to read the labels, but I'm sure I'll start to remember which items I can buy of my common things. Now just hoping the budget can handle all this.

My goal is to be able to convert my part-time job (2 days/week) to full-time in about a year. I just started a new job as an admin. ass't and when they were interviewing me, they offered it to go full-time in about 8 months should it work for both of us. They understand FMS/CFS and are fully aware of limiting my stress level (physical and mental).
  17. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I lived in Northeast PA until recently. Yes, it is true they could light their water on fire! Water is contaminated and several operations have been shut down. But it's too late. Damage is already done. And, they are continuing in other areas.

Part of the problem is that those who don't it still sign up because the companies get the right to drill under ANY property since homeowners, don't own the land down under their homes (at a certain level). So, drilling can still go on on their property, just underground. So, homeowners sign up to at least get compensated financially. It's horrible!
  18. SherylS

SherylS Member

to go gluten-free. Alot of the grocery stores are adding more items everyday. General Mills has several GF cereals and cake mixes now. Also many items you can order online--two companies with good products are Glutino and Pamelas Products. I have been GF for two years; my fibro pain is much less and the throat/esophagus/heartburn problems are completely gone!! I eat alot of brown rice, lean meats, and good old fruits and veges. I like the rice pasta and just bought a GF pizza crust to make my own.
  19. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Thanks Susan! No, I didn't have that web-site. I've been without internet for several days and helping out my daughter who lost power in the recent Hurricane Irene. She just got it back on yesterday (since Sun), so I'm home now and just checking messages. I will definitely have to check it out.
  20. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I was diagnosed with Celiac 13 years ago...when there were no GF labeled products on the market. It was tricky and I got poisoned occasionally, but now it is rare. The only time it happens is if a restaurant I'm in has a cross contamination issue.
    Make sure you become a regular reader on the NFCA (National Foundation for Celiac Awareness) website. They have the most up to date research, resources, etc. If you do Facebook, check out one of the many pages like Glutenista or Gluten Free fun for other info and recipe posts. Pamela's website also has great info and recipes. ALSO find your local GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) and go to meetings.
    Good luck!