GLUTEN FREE...How long till I feel better???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi there,

For those of you with gluten intollerance. When you starte the gluten free diet, how long did it take before you started feeling better?

I've been gluten free for 9 days and haven't felt anything yet.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Sofi
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I went gluten-free last October. It was a good 2 months before I felt any better. You have to stick to it religiously and learn where the hidden gluten lies.

I cheated twice, once on Christmas Day (and I felt awful for weeks) and once again just to make sure that it was the gluten that did it for me. When I felt so sick once again, I knew it was the gluten. It is not worth it for me to cheat.

Good luck with the gluten-free diet. I hope that it helps you.

Pepper
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I'd have to say 4 - 6 months for me, but my stomach was a mess. I was sensitive to soy, dairy, corn, eggs, garlic, onions, tomatoes, chocolate, etc. by then.

There are a lot of variables in how quickly each person sees relief. I posted the NIH website for celiac here that can give you more info.

And you can go to celiac dot com to learn more.

x
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Personally, I started noticing a differenc within a few days. My naturopath said if you've removed it for one month, you can then try a "challenge" - eat a piece of toast and see how you react. It could take up to 3 days to react if you are indeed sensitive or intolerant to it.

Take care
    Michelle
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

I was so messed up that it took about 2 weeks for me to notice a difference.

At the end of the 2 weeks, I ate as usual and was sick within an hour.

I'm not going to say I broke the gluten habit quickly. It took time. Be vigilant though. It will pay.

Read all you can. Learn where gluten hides. Check out books from the library also.

At first, this lifestyle can be overwhelming. Hang in there. Find a support group in your area if you can. That helps to keep you from feeling that you're all alone.

Have a great day,

teacher
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thanks all for your support! I have been eating gluten-free for 12 days now. I don't know if it's helping yet or not.

Have all of you been tested for Celiac? Were all of you tests positive? I had one test show high anti-gliadin antibodies but I'm still waiting for the results on the second series of tests they're running (Celiac panel). I didn't start the diet till after they drew my blood for the second tests.

I don't know what I should think if these tests come back negative. What then?

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Sofi
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

You can be sensitive to gluten without having Celiac's disease. I know that I feel better eating eating gluten free so it really doesn't matter if I have Celiac's or not.

So, even if your tests come back negative for Celiac's, I would still decide on going gluten-free - or not - depending on how you feel. Give it a few months though before making that decision.

I find eating gluten free is actually the easiest change I have ever made in my eating habits. There are so many delicious gluten free foods out there and I have learned to make substitutions in cooking using gluten free products.

Good luck with this!
    Pepper
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I am being tested as we speak. My Gastro has sent me for blood work and is going to do a biopsi of the lower bowel. The look at the villa to see if they are damaged. From what I understand you really need to do both blood work and this test.

I'm a good candidate for Celiac because I have Juvenile diabetes and Thyroid disease. I started having very bad stomach pains and vomiting. My guess is it's not celiac but something to do with my diabestes called gastroperisis. Been sick with fevers the last several days so I haven't been able to research Celiac or Gastroperisis (sp?) But in the past, when I have stuck to a gluten free diet, I have definitely felt better in a week or so. Be sure to check EVERYTHING you're eating to be gluten-free. Hang in there!

skierchik
  9. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I put myself on the diet as I was diagnosed w/microscopic colitis at the time. It did help that, but no help w/fm/cfs. I was since biopsied & they found NO MC, but do have IBS-C&D...So I slowly introduced Gluten back into my diet & have been doing well for about a yr. or so now.

When I went GF, I started feeling better in about 3wks. No more gas/bloat/diarrhea..So that was a good thing..I know it takes some people up to a yr. for them to feel the good effects from the diet. So it takes a lot of will power & stick toativeness on your part.

At the time I went GF there were hardly any products out there to choose from, but now there are many..And also GF stores on the web. BUT as you notice they are very expensive..I cut my grocery bill in half when going back to gluten.

I do stay away from 100% wheat products & watch what foods I take in. Can just eat cooked peas/carrots & very small amt's of broccoli. No spicy foods, gravies, sauces, etc., as I also have GERD..

Anyway, good luck, hope it works for you..If it does you should feel lots better.

Hugs & blessings;
    Fifth