Gluten, leaky gut, LPS, (Research & Awareness)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RadioFM, Feb 18, 2015.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Does Gluten Cause a Leaky Gut in Everyone?

"Dr. Tom O’ Bryan, DC, an expert on gluten, presented the following in his very interesting talk:"

• “One particularly detrimental consequence of increased intestinal permeability” (or leaky gut) caused by gluten sensitivity or celiac disease “is the translocation of bacteria (e.g., E. Coli) and bacterial products (lipopolysaccharides or LPS) also known as endotoxin which creates a proinflammatory environment and increases the oxidative stress burden in the enteric nervous system”
    • “Even minute doses of microbes within the gastrointestinal tract, levels that do not trigger an immune response, are capable of influencing neurotransmission in the paraventricular hypothalamus, the central nucleus of the amygdala and the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis. All three of these regions are involved in the processing of emotions related to anxiety and mood.”
    • “It is suggested that patients with” depression “should be checked for leaky gut by means of the IgM and IgA panel used in the present study and accordingly should be treated for leaky gut”.

In summary, gluten sensitivity or celiac disease can lead to leaky gut which can in turn allow endotoxins called lipopolysaccharides/LPS to relocate into the blood stream. This causes inflammation, oxidative damage, neurotransmitter deficiencies and depression and anxiety.

"The study above, refers to depression, however, research also shows that LPS plays a role in stress and anxiety too."

"Dr. O’Bryan also discussed the role that LPS plays in rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune and musculoskeletal disorders."

"Dr. O’Bryan recommends IgG food intolerance testing to identify leaky gut (if you show up with food intolerances to many foods then leaky gut may be an issue) and then to first heal the gut."

"These foods will need to be eliminated for at least 3 months and then added back slowly and one at a time. Many people are surprised to find out that they have issues with seemingly healthy foods like salmon, green beans, peas, strawberries, almonds etc. Of course, eliminating gluten goes without saying. This is the approach that I use with my clients and is part of the holistic approach that must be used when someone has any mood or physical health problem."

"He also talked about LPS antibody testing from Cyrex labs and I look forward to learning more about this."

See more here:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

The Most Common Trigger of Leaky Gut
  3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

4. IanH

IanH Active Member

With respect: Where is the evidence that "gluten sensitivity" causes Leaky Gut?
  5. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

There is no one cause of gut dysfunction as there is no one relationship to any complicated problem. Wheat has been hybridization and is not the same gain our previous generation consumed.

I also want to add, Cyrex Lab Testing lights up like a Christmas tree as gluten sensitivity/intestinal permeability are seen together in a high percentage of cases. We now have reliable testing methods to confirm if leaky gut is a risk factor.

See more below:

1. Zonulin is a protein that modulates the permeability of tight junctions between cells of the wall of the digestive tract. It was discovered in 2000 by Alessio Fasano ..
    2. Gliadin, zonulin and gut permeability: pubmed/16635908

Based on our results, we concluded that gliadin activates zonulin signaling irrespective of the genetic expression of autoimmunity, leading to increased intestinal permeability to macromolecules.
    3. "GMOs cause Gluten Disorders, Auto-immune and Neurological Diseases" Nicholas Corrin, Friday Harbor Holistic Health, March 21, 2012. Retrieved on November 6, 2012 from:

4. "Leaky Gut Syndromes: Breaking The Vicious Cycle" Leo Galland, MD, Foundation for Integrated Medicine. Retrieved on November 6, 2012 from:

5. "How Common is Gluten Sensitivity?" Mark's Daily Apple. Retrieved on November 6, 2012 from: "There’s also a genetic component to gluten sensitivity and celiac, the HLA-DQ gene. According to some reports, almost every permutation of the HLA-DQ gene is associated with some manner of gluten sensitivity, particularly the haplotypes HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8. Only HLA-DQ4 has never been linked to any form of gluten sensitivity, and less than 1% of the American population possesses a homozygous HLA-DQ4/4. If that holds true, then the vast majority of Americans have the genetic potential toward gluten sensitivity."

Read more:
  6. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Alessio Fasano - Spectrum of Gluten-Related Disorders: People Shall Not Live by Bread Alone

"The cultivation of gluten-containing grains that were the backbone of the agricultural revolution have also brought with them the manifestation of conditions related to negative reactions to gluten. These include celiac disease, wheat allergy and the "new kid on the block" of the spectrum of gluten-related disorders—gluten sensitivity. The autoimmune disorder of celiac disease is the most widely studied condition on the spectrum. It affects approximately 1 in 133 people, a rate that has doubled in the U.S. every 15 years over the past 35 years. An estimate from the Center for Celiac Research puts gluten sensitivity at 6% of the U.S. population. With current interest in the human genome and microbiome, research is leading scientists to examine the relationship between the intestinal microbiome and gluten-related disorders. Currently the gluten-free diet is the only available treatment for gluten-related disorders."

"World-renowned pediatric gastroenterologist, research scientist, and entreprenuer Alessio Fasano, M.D., founded the Center for Celiac Research in 1996. The Center offers state-of-the art research, clinical expertise and teaching for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of gluten-related disorders, including celiac disease, wheat allergy, and gluten sensitivity. Trained in Naples, Italy, as a pediatric gastroenterologist, Dr. Fasano was recruited to the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 1993 and founded its Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. Puzzled by the absence of children exhibiting symptoms of celiac disease in the clinic, he resolved to uncover the mystery of missing American "celiacs." His perseverance in the face of skepticism about celiac disease in the U.S. eventually led to his publication of the groundbreaking study in 2003 that established the rate of the autoimmune disorder at one in 133 Americans."
  7. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance
  8. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

The role of LPS in Lyme disease.

"Lipopolysaccharides (LPS) are a constitutive part of the outer wall of gram negative bacteria. Because many of the symptoms of Lyme disease could be explained by a spirochetal LPS we have subjected Borrelia burgdorferi to standard LPS extraction techniques which yielded a LPS which accounted for 1.5-4% of the dry weight. The LPS was very similar to classical gram negative bacterial LPS both chemically and in its biological activities which included pyrogenicity, mitogenicity for lymphocytes and the induction of Interleukin 1 production by macrophages. In addition, the LPS produced an acute inflammatory reaction when injected intradermally into rabbit skin. It could also prepare a skin site for the production of the local Shwartzman reaction. These results show that the Lyme disease spirochete contains a hitherto unknown LPS that is biologically active in vitro and in vivo. It is likely that this molecule plays an important role in the pathogenesis of Lyme disease."

See more here: Gov/pubmed/3577475

Borrelia burgdorferi Lipopolysaccharide and its role in the pathogenesis of Lyme disease. This study showing the role of LPS in copper issues.

"Significant changes of copper homeostasis were triggered by lipopolysaccharides, which result in systemic inflammatory response and contribute to hepatic injury. Administration of lipopolysaccharides resulted in the increase of plasma "free" copper and total copper concentrations, whereas, the decrease of "free" copper and total copper contents in liver tissue. Copper-associated proteins were detected and showed a down-regulation of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein, and up-regulation of copper metabolism domain containing 1 and copper transporter 1. The alteration of these proteins would lower the apoptotic threshold. Meanwhile, the increasing of circulation copper might cause oxidative injury through Fenton reaction and contribute to tissue injury. Our findings underscored the possibility that these changes in systemic copper homeostasis might provide a novel insight of the characteristic of the acute phase of inflammatory response and the underlying influence on tissue injury."

See more here: Gov/pubmed/23780468

"The alteration of copper homeostasis in inflammation induced by lipopolysaccharides."

9. IanH

IanH Active Member

Ok, Thanks, BUT:

Re points 1 and 2

From the authors:
    "Conversely, biopsies from non-celiac patients demonstrated a limited, transient zonulin release which was paralleled by an increase in intestinal permeability that never reached the level of permeability seen in celiac disease (CD) tissues."

Well of course, this is normal, nothing pathological in this. This is the function of zonulin. Contrary to common belief, intestinal permeability is NOT "Leaky Gut" syndrome. The gut is permeable and the permeability is variable - it has to be! Leaky Gut syndrome is thought to be a pathological or chronic state in which the regulation has broken down.

This is the case in Celiac Disease. So-called Gluten sensitivity is NOT Celiac Disease nor has any relationship to it at all.

also, Alessio Fasano is a Celiac Disease expert and does not make comments in any of his papers about so-called Gluten Sensitivity" even so his idea that pathological intestinal permeability is the cause of autoimmune diseases is just a theory (not that I disagree with it).

Re point 3, 4 and 5 This is not evidence only opinion.

An advert by Cyrex is not evidence. Come on! They don't even mention "gluten sensitivity".

so what I hoping for was evidence that "gluten sensitivity", not Celiac Disease causes "Leaky Gut".
  10. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

There are many books on this topic as well as clinical research and testing available that is not easily dismissed. The fact that you can not see these connections only reflects your limited comprehension of these topics. I could spend a week posting on this subject and you will still have a your preconceived opinions, pointing out any flawed research that you could find.

I could also go down the road of gluten sensitivity in autism. Again, not easily dismissed. But, It's very easy to become conflicted by are own motivations. I do apologize if my point of view seem harsh.

There are many stories of people removing gluten and dairy from their diet, only to realized it was a contributing factor in their illness. There is no one cause of gut dysfunction as there is no one relationship to any complicated problem. It's important not to become jaded by our own skepticism.

Please review these books below if you want to learn more about these possible connections.

If you have a unexplainable illness and symptoms of gut dysfunction, removing inflammatory foods from diet such as gluten & dairy are the first step in starting any elimination diet plan. There will never be a big pharm research study to back up these interventions. But, these dietary strategies have been proven to be beneficial in many chronic diseases(.)

Cyrex: Advanced Lab Testing

AFM Tom O'Bryan Gluten Sensitivity lecture Nov 2011

My next focus will be posting information on inhibiting and detoxify LPS mediated inflammation.

What about Endotoxins & Detoxification Support?

The main problem with these bacterial infections is they produce their own toxins and waste products that can cause oxidative cellular damage. Toxins like, Endotoxins that can contribute to inflammation and increased pain. Please consider possible therapeutic option for improve detoxification below:

See links below: Never Give Up the Fight!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

NF-κB / LPS inhibitors include:

• Milk Thistle
    • Clove inhibits LPS induced macrophage...
    • Ashwagandha
    • Grape seed extract
    • Ginger extract also inhibits LPS induced macrophage...(Please Review)
    • Japanese Knotweed -Resveratrol
    • Green tea extract (decaffeinated) Also, inhibit LPS-induced HMGB1 inflammation.
    • Turmeric/Curcumin (Warning: high doses of curcumin may increase irritability and anxiety?)

Beneficial effects of Chlorella-11 peptide on blocking LPS-induced macrophage activation and alleviating thermal injury-induced inflammation in rats.

See more here: Beneficial effects of Chlorella-11 peptide

"Chlorella possesses various remarkable biological activities. One component, Val-Glu-Cys-Tyr-Gly-Pro-Asn-Arg-Pro-Gln-Phe (Chlorella-11 peptide) was found to be able to suppress LPS-induced NO production and inflammation. However, the molecular mechanism behind these findings and the consistency between in vitro and in vivo data have not been investigated. LPS-activated RAW 264.7 macrophages were used to study in vitro molecular anti-inflammatory effects of Chlorella-11 peptide. After activation, NO production and the expression of iNOS and NF-kappaB proteins as well as iNOS mRNA were measured using Griess colorimetric assay, Western blotting and RT-PCR, respectively. Alterations in PGE2 and TNF-alpha contents were also monitored by ELISA. For in vivo studies, thermal injury Wistar rats were used and inflammatory indications e.g. serum malondialdehyde (MDA), TNF-alpha levels and skin erythema were evaluated 48 h after injury implementation. In vitro results showed that Chlorella-11 peptide produced a dose- and time-dependent inhibition on NO production. The effective inhibition could remain for at least 6 h after LPS activation. It was also found that the expression of LPS-induced iNOS mRNA, iNOS and NF-kappaB proteins were diminished by the peptide treatment. Concurrently, the levels on TNF-alpha and PGE2 production after LPS activation were also inhibited. These findings are in agreement with the in vivo data that animal serum MDA and TNF-alpha levels and skin erythema in rats were considerably reduced compared to the control group (saline-treated). The significance of this study sheds light on the effectiveness of Chlorella-11 peptide in preventing inflammation progression in vitro and in vivo and its potential for clinical applications."

Note* Mung beans
    can also inhibit LPS-induced HMGB1 inflammation as well.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  12. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

13. IanH

IanH Active Member

RadioFM, thank you for your reply.

I am seeking evidence that "gluten sensitivity" or "gluten intolerance" CAUSES leaky gut. Currently there is no evidence for this just a lot of opinions and from your statements and large number of posts I thought you might have some evidence.

What makes you say I am dismissing it? I am seeking evidence as a scientist. I do not accept a pile of opinions as evidence and the one paper you cited by Fasano does not provide any evidence that "gluten sensitivity" (whatever that means) causes leaky gut.

I know there are a lot of books, I have read many of them and indeed have copies of some of them right here in front of me. I read Prof Fasano's papers as soon as they were published some years ago. I have journal hard copies of them in my library. I know people who have problems with wheat based foods, some are family members. I have two colleagues who are researching the effects of diet on intestinal inflammation and on autoimmune disease at the University here. (Prof. Roger Lentle, Massey University).

I have advised people with ME/CFS and FM on diet and on supplementation.
    I have a family member with autism and four family members with ME/CFS. I have read considerably on autism, ME/CFS, FM and MCS. I have a BSc(Hons) in Biochemistry and a PhD in neuropsychology and I am a member of British Society for Immunology.

So I am a scientist looking for evidence and I do not have a limited comprehension at all. I do not have preconceived opinions.

Why make such statements at all?

In fact most of the people quoting opinions and stringing together pseudo explanations have preconceived opinions which, at this stage are not based on fact. There is nothing wrong with theories but theories are not facts.
    "Gluten sensitivity causes Leaky Gut" is NOT a fact.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  14. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"Gluten sensitivity causes Leaky Gut"

That statement is made by well respected Functional Medicine Doctor in the field. Those are not my words. I will post a thread on all the possible contributing factors related to intestinal permeability and most importantly how to heal it.

Gluten sensitivity, is a disorder based on assessing antibodies against an array of protein, enzyme and peptide antigens that may be associated with inflammation.
  15. IanH

IanH Active Member

"That statement is made by well respected Functional Medicine Doctor in the field."

It doesn't matter how well respected they are, they haven't the research data.

"Gluten sensitivity, is a disorder based on assessing antibodies against an array of protein, enzyme and peptide antigens that may be associated with inflammation."

Wow! Who said this? What antibodies? I know of no research which shows that antibodies to gluten or gliaden other than antibodies to transglutaminase (Coeliacs) exist. The only known antibodies to gluten have been found in Coeliacs.

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been clinically recognized as less severe than celiac disease. It is not accompanied by “the enteropathy, elevations in tissue-transglutaminase, endomysium or deamidated gliadin antibodies, and increased mucosal permeability that are characteristic of celiac disease” (Ludvigsson et al, 2012).

Also this paper has a lot of information on CD mimics: html
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  16. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

The Cyrex testing I had done identified Gliadin antibodies and I do not have celiac disease. When I remove gluten from my diet, my brain fog of 10 years disappeared.

Brain Fog and Inflammation

The Gluten- Thyroid Connection? (Please review)

Hashimotos and the gluten connection

17. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Could leaky gut trans-locate endotoxins induced macrophage activation and be a contributing factor in developing peripheral small fiber neuropathy symptoms in FM?

"One particularly detrimental consequence of increased intestinal permeability” (or leaky gut) caused by gluten sensitivity or celiac disease “is the translocation of bacteria (e.g., E. Coli) and bacterial products"

"(lipopolysaccharides or LPS) also known as endotoxin which creates a proinflammatory environment and increases the oxidative stress burden in the enteric nervous system”

New Findings for Fibromyalgia

18. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

19. IanH

IanH Active Member

Thanks, but nothing you have put forward supports the contention that Gluten Sensitivity causes Leaky Gut.
    So as yet we await the evidence.
  20. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

We need to bring awareness to key issues and important topics that may help others find answers to the health challenges of today.

I like to see more threads and topics on basic lab testing, treatment option and comprehensives functional approach that have been already proven to be beneficial.

I have revised foundational supportive topics & discussions to better help our forum members comprehend and understand these important concepts. We must bring awareness to have a chance to fight through the adversities we see today.

The Gift of Recovery Protocols & Research:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015