Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by street129, Aug 4, 2009.

1. street129

street129 New Member

how does one know what is gluten, i dont know what it is, can someone tell me, so i can be aware of what not to eat with gluten,..thanks
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Do you have a medical reason for not wanting to eat gluten?
  3. street129

street129 New Member

i am interesting in knowing what is gluten, its been talk so much about on this site, i am in the dark when the family on here talks about it. thanks family.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2009]
  4. street129

street129 New Member

now i know what gluten is, is brown rice gluten.....thanks jaminhealth
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2009]
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Besides wheat, gluten can be found in rye, barley and oats.
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

In addition to wheat, barley, rye and (in the US) oats have gluten. Here is the link to "Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)."

It's extensive and helpful when looking at items with many ingredients.

God Bless,

7. Iamwell

Iamwell New Member

I could eat anything I wanted until I turned 35 and developed CFS. My gluten intolerance came on slowly and I didn't know why I was sick to my stomach and had acid reflux and pains in my stomach and liver area and finally it got so bad that I was dizzy and weak. I had my gall bladder and liver and panceas checked out and everything was fine but had an ulcer and took Pepcid AC and Mylanta until it was gone. But I finally made the connection to gluten when I went on a low carb diet and my stomach felt so much better and no acid reflux.
    So as long as I stayed away from gluten my stomach was fine and now that I have been on the Marshall Protocol I have introduced some gluten in my diet and so far so good but I still try and not eat a lot of it.

If I were you I'd try an elimination diet and start with one food group at a time. Gluten foods first and then if that dosen't help maybe dairy products. So people can't tolerate dairy (milk, cheese etc.)

8. sascha

sascha Member

is not in rice. i bought brown rice bread for years when i went off gluten, and got to like it very much (found in health food stores).

it's easier to picture what gluten is when you picture making bread- you mix up the dough, then knead it for a while, and the dough becomes elastic, springy, and sticks together. that's the action of the gluten. there's a wheat substitute for meat made entirely from gluten- i made it once- and it was fun- after kneading and kneading the wheat dough and rinsing it in water, you're left with just the elastic rubbery gluten part.

there are gluten-free oats you can find online. i bought a box.

hey! good luck with your diet. let us know how it goes. best, Sascha

**cereal grains started becoming serious staple for humanity about 10,000 years ago, when people started living in more stable settlements and agriculture became more and more the norm. so what i take away from that history is that people did not evolve on grains, and many of us are sensitive to them--we do better avoiding them. my IBS improved so much when i started a grain-free diet, meaning i cut out rice, basically, in addition to gluten. no rice bread, no rice tortillas (i really liked them) and no cooked rice.
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Gluten is a protein found in certain cereal grains: wheat, barley and rye.

Gluten is a very hard to digest protein, and it can cause different types of reactions in susceptible people. Gluten can cause an allergic reaction in the gut, or it can cause an auto-immune reaction (celiac) or it can be simply irritating because it is so hard to digest. People who have "leaky gut" (tight junction dysfunction) in the small intestine can have undigested gluten seeping from the gut into the bloodstream. From there, undigested or partially digested gluten can make its way to other body tissues, particularly the brain. "Gluten fog" can result when this happens.

Other cereal grains (beyond wheat, barley, and rye) at the retail level may contain gluten as a result of "contamination" by the gluten grains during growing (farm level) and/or processing. For example, pure oats do not contain gluten. However oat groats or oatmeal you purchase at a grocery store usually do have a fair bit of gluten, because at some point before the product got on the shelf, there was contact with wheat or barley.

"Whole foods" that are not gluten grains are usually gluten free ("GF"). Examples: plain raw whole fruit, plain raw veg, plain meat cuts from the butcher block, plain dairy products.

However, once you get into any degree of processing -- canned foods, boxed foods, frozen foods, "meals," "snacks," baked foods, fried foods, etc. -- everything processed is suspect for gluten.

The majority of US processed foods contain gluten, either directly in the form of flours or grains, and/or from contamination during processing. A product that does not contain gluten grains or flours, but which is processed in a plant that also processes gluten products, can contain gluten from processing equipment -- even from flour particles settling out of the air.

Many beverages contain gluten. Normal beer & other alcohololic bevs derived from wheat, barley or rye. Even some wines are at some point store in barrels sealed with gluten paste. Plain tea & coffee do not contain gluten, however "fancy" beverages (think starbucks) may contain barley malt or natural flavors derived from wheat. There are also a few soft drinks that may contain gluten.

Gluten is also present in many health & beauty aids, craft products, even some home improvement products. Those who are gluten-intolerant or celiac often have to be aware of those sources as well.

The best book for a beginner to learn more about gluten is: Living Gluten Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. The concepts behind gluten intolerance & GF diet are more technical than the concepts behind the sorts of diets we are used to thinking about. But Danna Korn's book is very readable, entertaining, and upbeat.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2009]