Glycine and Weight Gain...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I started on glycine a couple months ago in the hopes of gaining some energy from it. I also had heard that it can help you with sleep problems. Then I started noticing that I was gaining quite a bit of weight, esp around my mid-section, over the past few weeks... This is unusual for me... And since my thyroid med had just been increased (i was slightly hypo) in early December, this didn't make sense to me.

So I started doing some research and found out that glycine will indeed be stored as fat if you are not involved in intense exercise... And those of us with CFS/ME can barely function, let alone exercise. So needless to say, I won't be taking the glycine anymore. I will hope that the d-ribose will give me the energy I need, along with the N-acetyl Cysteine that I just started taking a couple days ago.

Just thought I would share this with any of you who are takings glycine or are considering it. Gaining fat certainly won't help our condition... And with our limitations and forced sedentary lifestyle, we're already fighting an uphill battle, as far as weight gain goes...

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Where did you read about glycine contributing to weight gain if you are not involved in intense exercise?

I did just a little research, one site said it actually helped wtih weight loss.

I take plain gelatin every night to help with sleep and hopefully help my joints. Gelatin is high in glycine. I haven't had any weight gain in connection with this.

But I would be very curious to see where you read that glycine can cause weight gain - thanks!

Mary
  3. Yrngrl

Yrngrl Member

Hello. I joined this forum today. Came across this discussion and would like to comment. I was researching the use of glycine to help with sleep disorders and learned that it causes a decrease of body core temperature. This decrease allows the person to remain longer in a certain stage of sleep, resulting in longer, more restful sleep. A light bulb went off in my head because I am hypothyroid and have difficulty losing weight. One of the many symptoms and issues from hypothyroidism is low body temperature, so I wonder if glycine could result in weight gain by decreasing body temp. I guess it is something to consider.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yrngrl - that's an interesting theory, it makes sense. I had initially posted on a different thread how glycine was helping me a lot with sleep. But after awhile it seemed to be causing insomnia, much to my dismay. Then I did more research and found that it was both an inhibitory and an excitatory neurotransmitter (see http://www.acnp.org/g4/gn401000008/) So I had to stop it. But have recently started taking Relora (Swanson Brand) and it is helping me a lot with sleep. I did a separate post on this under the "Treatment and Therapy, Supplements, Sleep section of the forums.

Welcome to the board!

Mary