glysine for sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herbqueen, Feb 8, 2010.

1. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I read that glysine can help with sleep? Has anyone tried this? Dosage?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I don't really know anything about it, but from quickly googling, I saw that it can help with growth hormone, which many of us may be low in....so that sounds good (& growth hormone is produced while we sleep, so that could have something to do with the sleep tie in that you mentioned....I didn't see anything specifically about sleep, but I didn't look that far either)

....however I also saw this : "Associated with central nervous system function, L Glysine is shown to retard muscle degeneration and it is utilized in construction of DNA and RNA. Used by the body to build proteins and helps the body synthesize purines, porphyrins, creatine, and glyoxylic acid. Glycine may help in maintaining the prostate function and prostate health, important in weight control."

If, and yes that's still a BIG if, but if XMRV is causing CFS, it becomes a part of our DNA and then when more DNA is made it produces more of the virus (yes I am really simplifying the explanation and may not be completely clear on all this, so the following might not be a problem)....if I am thinking about this correctly, though, then something that is utilized in the construction of DNA and RNA might help XMRV to replicate

like I said, I don't know enough to really evaluate this, so it may not be a problem, and the rest of what i read sounds like glysine could be helpful.....but I just thought I'd share my thoguhts on it (****& maybe someone who knows more could clear this up better)