Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by quanked, Apr 22, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

This battle is a direct result of NAFTA.

Stop the sneak attack on GMO food labeling!

If the U.S. government has its way, a powerful intergovernmental group you've probably never heard of may soon prevent anyone anywhere from labeling genetically modified (GMO) food.

Operated by the United Nations, the Codex Alimentarius is a collection of guidelines, codes and recommendations regarding food safety and labeling standards used by the World Trade Organization (WTO) to settle international disputes regarding food and agricultural export agreements.

According to draft language circulated by the FDA, the U.S. will oppose a proposal at an upcoming meeting of an important Codex committee that would allow the labeling of genetically engineered food. Consumers Union and more than 80 family farm, public health, environmental and organic food organizations have raised concerns that the U.S. position will create major problems for American producers who want to label their products as "GMO-free."

Unfortunately, rather than taking a proactive stance on GMO labeling and standing up for the rights of American citizens, the Obama administration has incorporated pre-existing Bush administration positions, stating that Codex should not "suggest or imply that GM/GE foods are in any way different from other foods."

Leading national food policy experts believe this position directly contradicts USDA Organic standards, which prohibit the use of genetically engineered products. If adopted, the Obama administration's proposal might not only weaken organic standards, but could also lead to further genetic contamination of U.S. organic crops, the fastest and most profitable segement of agriculture today.
    Even worse, the current U.S. draft position paper declares that mandatory labeling laws such as they have in Europe are "false, misleading or deceptive." If the U.S. succeeds in writing the proposed Codex regulations, any attempts here in the U.S. to label foods as genetically engineered, whether voluntary or by law, would become far more difficult.

This extreme position on genetically engineered food is unacceptable.
    Join CREDO Action in calling on the US delegation to the Codex Committee meeting, led by representatives of the FDA and USDA, to drop these positions and support proposals to allow countries to make their own decisions on the labeling of genetically engineered foods.
  2. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Just to set the record straight as to the 'supposed' attacks on the FM board--you were giving back just as much 'hate and discontentment' as much as you were getting--usually within minutes.......

I am more than willing to listen to others and their opinions, even when they differ from my own, but I do NOT appreciate hearing the same things over and over and over. Furthermore--I don't appreciate being called 'childish' and some of the other playground BS names that were tossed about on the other thread--so in a sense, I was attacked, also--but I'm not hitting all the boards crying about it. I'm a big girl and can handle it :>

BTW--like they say--if you can't stand the heat....................

3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Thank you for this extremely (albeit frightening) info. Ive learned so much from these boards. The value is beyond measure.---Rebecca
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm currently 'restricted to uswing a tiny netbook, making it hard to read anything for long -- so hope someone already knows the answer to this --

Doesn't Europe have strict laws concerning labeling of GMO foods? I thought they did... and wondering if this isn't still the EUs stance on this.

"Free trade" - are they talking about some global trade alliance (I know that's eventually what we're headed for as well as with banking and likely one day gov't - beginning to believe allthose old conspiracy theories were right) - or is this a direct reference to NAFTA? (Which apparently hasn't worked anyway).

I really cringe at the thought of poor farmers in 3rd world countries having to buy seeds from Monsanto instead of saving their own. Mexico is already going this way I've read, the home of corn... people here live pretty well in the country because they can feed themselves directly off their land in communally held properties, saving seeds is a very important thing.

Apaart from possible health & ecological hazards, those GMO seeds do produce plants with enough viable seeds to invade any/everywhere --eventually....

there's one farmer whobecame a test case in Canada a while back who was sued by Monsanto for "illegally" growing their seed (which had invaded his fields from some other farm); he sued them back for not keeping their crops in line so to speak- think he won.