GMP Certified Supplements: Safe and Quality brands?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dannybex, Jul 25, 2009.

1. dannybex

dannybex Member

Does anyone know which vitamin or other supplement companies are GMP Certified -- and also inexpensive?

There are a lot of very low priced supplements out there, but I wonder about the quality and safety of some of these. They could be contaminated with heavy metals, pesticides and other chemicals...

Just as one example, CoQ10 is especially expensive...would love to find a GMP certified brand that is 'affordable'.

Thanks in advance,

2. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

is GMP certified. Now products are affordable and is a very reputable brand in the supplements world.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

It's weird because the "Now" brand isn't listed on this GMP site, but it says on their own site that they are indeed GMP certified. I sent an email to the GMP site to ask them why they're not on the list.

And speaking of Vitacost, it didn't look like they were GMP certified, but I looked 'em up via their manufacturing address, and sure enough they are on the list too, under "Nutraceutical Life Sciences Institute", their "NSI" brand.

Still, I kind of worry when the price gets so incredibly cheap! :)

Thanks again,

p.s. Will try to post when (or if) I hear back from the GMP website (
  4. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

I didn't know Vitacost's NSI brand is GMP certified. I always thought it was "cheaply" made. Can someone verify for me? It must have the GMP label on the bottle for it to be GMP certified. Does it? Don't just look at the manufacturer because they make different supplements for many brands at different prices under different standards and manufacturing processes. Look for the GMP label on every bottle.

GMP certification is optional in the industry but it is the "gold standard" in the supplement world. It's like getting the USP label on your vitamins. Most supplement companies are too small to afford the millions of dollars it takes in equipment for GMP standards and labeling. NOW corporation has the capital to invest in their own equipment to manufacture to GMP standards. That is not to say that other smaller supplement companies w/o GMP labels are bad. There are many great supplement companies w/o the GMP label like metagenics, rainbow light, jarrow, doctor's best, etc. etc etc. You must have worked in the health and supplement industry to know which companies are quality and which ones are crap. Remember, there is no regulation of supplements. So go with GMP certified supplements if you're confused.
  5. krock

krock Member

I can't find it. Is Shaklee GMP?
  6. dannybex

dannybex Member

Here is the list on a website that does GMP certification testing:

So if you go down the list, you'll find Jarrow, etc., but then you'll see the facility where NSI supplements are made (under Nutraceutical Life Sciences). That matches the address on the NSI bottles.

But I emailed this "" website, asking them why the "NOW" brand wasn't on the list, and got this reply:

"Unfortunately, just because a company claims to be GMP certified does not necessarily mean that they received their GMP certification through NSF International. Only those companies whose facilities were actually audited and certified by NSF staff would be eligible for a listing on our website..."

Then I asked about Puritan's Pride, and got this reply:

"Unfortunately, we don't have any information about supplements being sold under the Puritan's Pride brand name. Please note that GMP certification is a process certification given to a facility. It would not confirm if the quality or contents of the products being produced at that facility meet voluntary national standards for protection of public health. You would want to ask the manufacturer of the product for proof of actual product certification. Certified products would usually would be marked with a certification mark if they are certified to contain the ingredients and quantities as shown on the label." seems like NSF International is just one of many companies that certifies that 'facilities' meet GMP standards...but then that doesn't necessarily mean the products that come out of that facility meet the requirements.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it's best to look for products that have the GMP mark on the label.

7. dannybex

dannybex Member

An update from NSF:

"GMPs are mostly guidelines that provide a system of processes, procedures and documentation that try to help provide assurance that products being produced by a manufacturing facility contain the identity, strength, composition, quality and purity being represented. While GMPs require manufacturers to conduct a certain amount of testing on their products during the production process for quality control purposes, they do not require that manufacturers submit samples of their finished products to an independent third party for actual testing.

GMP certification of all dietary supplement manufacturing facilities will soon be required by the FDA, but independent certification of the finished products will not."
  8. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

What you have posted about GMP is true. The supplements industry is not regulated. However, it is monitored by private and public groups who routinely send products in for independent third party testing. The results are posted either publicly or privately for industry use. You have to be in the supplements industry to know who is legit or not.

I will say that the reputable long standing supplement companies will never "skimp" on having the best standards for their products. Why? In this industry, your reputation for quality(excellent or bad) can easily make or break your company. Once your products are proven by independent testing to be "subpar", it quickly gets dessiminated to vendors and to the public. Reputation is all a supplement company has to stay in business or be forced to close its doors.