GNH or Gross National Happiness.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Jul 5, 2009.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Saw an interview with Michael Fox on David Letterman the other night. Michael (the actor afficted with Parkinson) visited Bhutan, a small country in a pocket of the Himalayas. The country has officially adopted "happiness" as a national goal and a criteria in decision making.

Michael liked the fairly rural country and people and he gave me hope that happiness as a guideline may be working. His report was the first in person report that I've heard.

Also, I saw that Costa Rica made the top of a list of countries in "happiness".

Nice to see that some conciousness progress may be happening in world.

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2009]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I've always wanted to go there, it looks so beautiful that I think it would always make me happy?!

Iceland used to be considered the happiest country in the world, but maybe not now after their economic/banking disaster.

I have to say, living in Mexico - while it's still basically pretty poor in the countryside, they sure do seem to enjoy themselves more than I saw in the US. Perhaps because there's little TV or videogames (or internet for that matter) - they're outside whenever they can and lots of fiestas for every reason you can think up.... your town's saint, your own saint, people in your family's personal saint days, plus everybody's birthday in extended family and friends' families as well, week long celebrations for things like Easter, and month long + for Christmas & new Years.

Everyone here is also very polite and appreciate our lame attempts to speak Spanish; we also appreciate their attempts to speak English (actually the professionals all do!) or otherwise communicate; of course, many have worked in the US legally (and illegally) and speak well. The only problem for me is that it's mostly the men who speak English, so my DH gets to do a lot of the legwork to get stuff done!

And, its been a good exercise in patience for us as a result of the holidays hehe .... it only took me 3 months to finally find someone to set up internet for me other than satellite.
    ;) I really do think attitude is what it's all about!

all the best,
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was just asking on the board a day or two ago if anyone had heard from
    you. Good to know you are no longer incommunicado.

I think happiness is a goal is this country too. Problem is the people who run
    things are concerned about what makes them happy: money and power.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Yep, people are striving for happiness are everywhere, it's just that their idea of happiness may not work with others!

I did read that in some eastern European countries, the population is infected almost 100% with some kind of toxoplasmosis, which the researchers said accounted for their affect (more depressed and pessimistic). Reminds me of the neuro effects of Lyme & Co, of course. I have to wonder how much of who we are is dependent on what we've been infected with or got while in utero, even tho they say genetics is what mostly determines it. How can one tease out these types of infections when they are so hard to find anyway? and it makes total sense one could get many things from one's family 1 way or another.

“Thought is an infection. In the case of certain thoughts, it becomes an epidemic.” -Wallace Stevens

Gives new meaning to that quote perhaps? LOL...
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2009]
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Toxoplasmosis is definately a bizarre parasite. Perhaps it could be redesigned to have more specific effects on human brain?

Wilson's disease is notable for causing euphoria. Kuru also may have laughter as a symptom.

These are the only "happy" diseases that I know of. Oh,well. Cheers, your mr Bill
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I didn't know that. If one has to have a chronic disabling illness... I sure wish CF/FM/Lyme/etc would make us all at least feel happy! I'd think it would at least help diminish pain?