Go to bed exhausted- can't sleep- racing mind won't stop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Aug 9, 2009.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi All,

I need some help falling asleep. I can go to bed extremely exhausted, then think about all of life's possibilities, what "if's".... During the day I don't have much time to think about all of this. Before bedtime, I take Klonopin, 2mg, and a Percocet, 5mg, which should relieve this but it doesn't.

I guess I just have more time to think when I go to bed. I try relaxation techniques, warm baths before bed, dim lights and quietness, I have tried sleeping with the TV on and off, a fan, deep breathing techniques...... By the time I fall asleep, it is usually 3 or 4 in the morning. It is soooo difficult to function the next day. When I wake-up, I start the cycle of exhaustion all over again. I can't make it through the day without a nap no matter how hard I try.

Do any of you experience this? What works for you? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

If your cortisol levels are high at night (as mine were), it can cause insomnia, racing mind, etc. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine), which helped immediately. It took some trial and error to get the dose right. I also found it most effective when I took it in the morning, although did not make me sleepy in the morning, but it did make me calmer.

A doctor or naturopath can order an Adrenal Stress Index Test - it's a saliva test, with samples taking 4 times during the day and it gives a picture of your cortisol levels which fluctuate throughout the day and will tell you whether or not this is your problem.

You can also have the test done through Clymer Healing Research Center - they're in Pennsylvania (I'm in California), but I dealt with them on-line, by phone, e-mail and regular mail and it worked just fine.

Two more things that have helped me -

5-htp - an amino acid which helps your brain produce serotonin
    l-theanine - an amino acid which helps your brain produce GABA, a natural tranquilizer.

I take both of these at night about an hour before bed.

Good luck!

3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Boy, you explained me a few years back. I would lay in bed and i felt like i was having a heart attack, my chest would just pound and pound and my mind would just run all night. My doc did a bunch of tests and finally came up with anxiety which made sense. I take generic effexor and ever since then i do not have a problem anymore. I lay down with a good book and the next thing i know I am out like a light bulb.

Good luck Steach
  4. choco-nibs

choco-nibs New Member

Look into "Suntheanine". It doesn't promote sleep but it does help to calm the brain.

When I feel that wired/tired feeling come on at night I take 200mg Suntheanine 2-3 hours before bedtime. There are other positive effects from taking this too.

I don't think it interacts with other drugs but you can do a search to make sure.

I hope this helps.

5. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Two ideas.

1. soft music with a timer so it doesn't wake you up again. Focus as hard as you can on the music.

2. Luvox. This is an antidepressant that can control obsessive thinking. I was told to take it in the evening because it can cause tiredness.

BTW, I don't know if you have CFS, but Luvox supposedly helps with that. It didn't in my case. But it did help with the obsessive thinking.
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I listen to You Tube Videos where people talk on and on. It helps me to have something to latch onto, that keeps my mind from wandering. Just type in whatever subject you're interested in. You can also find audios and videos on Google. I sleep next to my laptop.

7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

listening to a talk radio station. I focus on the radio topic and this drifts my mind to sleep.

Listen to people call in and give opinions on whatever talk discussion is on radio.

This is working for me so far, hope it continues

Be WEll
  8. I am the same way especially lately. One think I have found when I am low in iron that happens. BUT when I take the supplements I get severe stomach pain and diarreah. Also when I take B vitamins I get real nervous? WEIRD? good luck, I am following this thread for ANY ideas as I am exhausted from not sleeping.
  9. Jayna

Jayna New Member

to help with the racing mind problem:

1) take a notebook to bed and, before you try to sleep, spent 20 minutes or so jotting down all the possible things that you might end up fretting over, that you haven't had time to think through during the day. If you find other things coming up after you've turned off the light, turn it back on and do this again. After a while, your brain runs out of things to obsess over and essentially bores itself to sleep.

2) find a phrase or poem that you like and really concentrate on repeating it to yourself silently, with as much mental imagery as you can muster. I used to use the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm, then for a while it was poetry, and now (my brain being a bit mushy and unable to remember multiple lines) I repeat whatever is my health affirmation for the day, counting off with my fingers in the dark, trying to get through the full 25 before I fade out.

Good luck!
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I also had severe insomnia with a racing mind that wouldn't turn off.

Here is what has helped me so far:

1. I realized that this was not going to really change until I found the root cause of my FMS and fatigue.

It is likely that the cause of most FMS and CFS is infectious, but most Dr's do not look for the cause, they just try to cover up your symptoms for the rest of your life.

2. I started to think outside the FMS/CFS diagnosis....in other words, yes you have FMS or CFS but it is likely a symptom of a larger picture....a larger diagnosis which Dr's have not seen.

3. I started doing my own research. Dr's were not going to find the cause of my illness, so I was. It was my only hope for recovery.

4. With proper research and ignoring Dr's who told me I did not have a borrelia infection, I discovered that I did have a Borrelia burgdorferi infection and other tick borne illnesses.

I do not remember a tick bite or a rash. I had negative lyme tests, as many people do.
    I realized through reading the best literature written by Lyme literate MD belonging to ILADS that testing is very poor and should never be relied on. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis based on history and symptoms.

5. I found a Lyme literate MD and travel to see him every 4 weeks.

He treats the whole person. He knows that a long, long cascade of negative events has occured in my body over the past 21 years when I only had a FMS diagnosis.

I am in treatment for lyme and other tick borne illnesses.

I am now sleeping 5-6 hours, waking up once to go to the bathroom and then returning to sleep. I do not lay awake with a racing mind anymore.

I have been treating for 6 months. It is a complex treatment due to the complex nature of tick borne illnesses.

My neck pain that was especially excrutiating on car trips, is now bearable on car trips.

Treatment takes a long time, and must address hormones and other things also.

Many people on this board later found out that their FMS and/or CFS was cause by the bacterial infection borrelia burgdorferi, along with other tick borne illnesses.

The set of symptoms a person has can depend on the path the infection takes and which tick borne illnesses a person has.....borrelia, babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, tularemia, rock mt spotted fever, etc.

You may think this does not apply to you. Please just look at this information....I wish I had read this many years ago.........

If I can help you in any way, you can post for me anytime on the Lyme board.

11. hensue

hensue New Member

Will not turn off every member in my family is like this. I do have cortisol problems but I tried the supplement I cannot spell ps and I went into a flare. Any ideas help. If it will help will take it. How do you not hurt taking the supplement??
  12. joeperry

joeperry New Member

Hi Steach,

I get the racing mind effect sometimes.... Ive been trying to combat it too. The other night I was exhausted when I went to bed but couldnt sleep after 2.5 hours of lying there. I got up for the third time and had two small swigs of vodka, went back to bed to listen again to the music I had on, and this time I fell asleep pretty quickly. Without the alcohol I would have just kept thinking on and on..... I believe it breaks the spell somehow. Ive tried other things and they have not worked.

I have had this racing brain effect following different types of activity... this time it was 11 hours of non-stop social activity; other times after painting or doing music for like 6 hours or so... In my case it may be triggered by doing a stimulating activity for long periods of time.

On the other hand, sometimes you may be able to use the racing mind effect to come up with new creative ideas.... Not so easy if you are exhasuted but other times I havent been exhausted and have come up with some good creative works.

Let me kow if you find the alcohol route effective , although its not a great solution if you have this racing mind effect every night.

PS - I dont think writing every thing down will help - that doesnt break the cycle.... I think it would make it worse. I would have been writing for hours if I started....

13. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I have the racing mind and wired body too. I get into bed and start thinking about the things I want to do and can't. Whether or not I will wake feeling tired and exhausted..what is coming up in the future that I have to deal with.
    My doctor has suggested meditation. I have not tried it yet as I just saw him. He wanted me to buy some type of machine that hooks up to the computer and it tells you if you are actually relaxing.
    I am going to try it on my own first and see how I do. I have already spent so much money on this illness...
    When I get into bed also my body feels as though I am on a rocking boat and doesn't go away until I actually fall asleep.

Anyone tried meditation? I need to give it a try.

14. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I think it was some type of bio feedback machine. I didn't really ask too much about it because I kind of thought he was trying to sell me something I didn't need.
    You supposedly hook it up to your computer when meditating and it tells you if you are in a relaxed state...

I guess it is suppose to help you meditate the correct way...
  15. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I also have trouble falling asleep. I think its a fibromyalgia thing, whether your mind is racing or not, we have trouble sleeping. The only thing that works for me is tizanidine, 3 pills at bedtime, and I'm knocked out for hours.