going back to doctor what meds help you sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fmkitty, Nov 13, 2006.

1. fmkitty

fmkitty New Member

Hi all,I am going back AGAIN to the dr.I need something to help me sleep and also for pain,since I am was Dignosed in july with fibro nothing they have gave me helps,neurotnin and tramadol does nothing for me at all,I have been in tears from the pain,I am so tired from not sleeping,hubby and daughter tells me Im grouchy,they try to understand and support me but they dont understand how bad I feel,The past few days been really bad,can anyone tell me what meds to ask for.Thanks fmkitty
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

awwww - I am sorry fmkitty. I am sure they will want to tell you what they want to give you, instead of you reqesting it (sometimes their ego gets in the way).

Anyway, I alternate Ambien CR with Flexeril... it depends how tight my muscles are when I go to bed. Some here do not like the Ambien, but it really does work well for me. I find alternating it helps so I do not build too much of a tolerance to it.

I know how grouchy I get from the pain and sleep deprevation. I feel for you. Hang in there and let us know if he prescribes anything that gives you relief. I hope you have some help soon.

Hugs
    Kim
  3. fmkitty

fmkitty New Member

I will let you know what he says,I am gathering info about fibro for him to look at,he is a good doc but I dont think he knows that much about fibro.Thanks fmkitty
  4. California31

California31 New Member

I'm fairly sure that it is different for everyone...klonpin helped me years ago..at what was considered a high dose:3mg, then years later a doctor refused to prescribe it..Ambien was a nightmare, and one doctor informed me that he wouldn't prescribe it because he felt it played into "memory loss" conditions....he didn't
    have to convince me; I'd already decided against taking it.
    So...I have pretty much settled for broken sleep...and oddly enough when it's hard to get back to sleep....if I play Eckert Tolle tape on "The Power of Now"...his voice generally puts me back to sleep....I've also used herbal teas, buying the ingredients in bulk...and then brewing...and it's really important to work with a knowing herbalist...but generally passion flower is a main ingredient in most herbal "sleep" teas.
    I hope you are able to find something that works well for you. Wishing you peaceful dreams.
    Nothing has seemed to work long term....
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Ambien was wonderful in the beginning! The last time I tried it I had some horrible drifting off hallucinations, though. And I used to do alot of things and not remember them. Mineral supplements and electrolytes have restored my sleep. Try a good athletic electrolyte, not the store sugary ones and also try melatonin, the hormone that your body uses to make you sleep. You can get it in any health food store. hope they help, karen
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fmkitty:

I use Restoril for sleep. I also can use a little Elavil with it, if needed.

Good luck at the doctor's office.

nyrofan
  7. fmkitty

fmkitty New Member

Thanks to all,I am going in the morning,I am hoping for some relief.This is a great place,Thanks for all the support.fmkitty