Going Back To School?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srobins, Jun 12, 2006.

1. srobins

srobins New Member

Has anyone on here went back to college or furthered their education while being ill? I was considering taking online courses to get my Associates Degree. Can you take online courses while on SSDI?
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you could even go through state vocational rehab...and they can help out in some ways...

i have a packet to fill out yet...

and i know there are other people here on ssdi or ssi and taking classes...

jodie
  3. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I am taking online classes and love it. I can't do the physical classes though, i would have to drive 110 miles round trip, plus sitting in class is too much for me.

I know a lady who has been on SSDI all her life becoz of ra and is workign on her 2nd bach. good luck and make sure what ever college, university is accredited and accepts pell grants. there are a few out there that don't.

jennie
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hello there srobins! I was at the university until last fall- I had to stop taking classes because my health problems just got more out of control.

Then I took one easy class at a community college this last term, and it went well, so I am planning on taking more this coming fall. I hope it goes well.

I haven't been out of school that long, so I don't think it will be a huge adjustment ... but I'm still nervous because I don't want to have a big flare and fall apart.

My plan is to keep all the parts of my "health regimen" in place when I take on more classes: I will keep exercising regularly, still get good sleep (NO MORE ALL-NIGHTERS!), eat good foods ... just generally stay balanced. That gives my body the best chance at coping with stress and activity.

I would recommend looking into "disabilty services" options at the schools you are interested in. Many have support services that can help you accomodate classes to your needs. I'm registered with my school and will defintely depend on them while going back. I've gotten so much compassion and support when I go in to see advisors in that department- I don't feel as "dysfunctional" and messed up. I really highly recommend finding out about ones in your school. :)

5. soonerchic10

soonerchic10 New Member

I have had to seriously slow down but I am still in school and loving it! :) Good luck!!!!!
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I went back to college full time in the fall of 2004 to earn my nursing degree. However, I am not on SSDI.

My pain has increased a great deal, especially during my
    second year when I started clinicals and nursing classes.
    Unfortunately, this cannot be done on line.

Good luck to you in what ever you decide!
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

can't they get cyber patients to practice with.lol

jodie
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Too bad no cyber patients!

That would be ideal...No attitudes! LOL
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

we would get a reply from you and your great accomplishments...

to inspire others to do the same...

jodie