Going for first mammogram.Dread it so bad.Have U had one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Oct 13, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

Finally got my nerve up to go. I'm so scared. Not because I'm afraid it will be bad but the pain is going is going to be horrendous. My breasts hurt all the time anyway. I'm probably going to end up crying. Have you had one yet? You'd think by now they would've come up with a less painful way to do it. I've always said if they had to do a man like that for some kind of test it would be done away with. LOL..

Not looking forward to it.

Keke
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I agree it's not very much Fun!! But none the less another necessity for being a woman and trying to stay Healthy!

The first time is a little bit intimidating! But It doesn't take very long! Maybe about 5 minutes, Can't fib and say it's not uncomfortable! it is but not to the point of Tears Hopefully!
    You just have to close your eyes and think of the Milkshake your going to treat yourself to after it's over!! Men Get off really easy! lollol I agree!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it will be ok!!,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

if you can deal with fibro...this is a cake walk...

i have had like three done already and i am 42 years old...

i'd rather have a chance to catch the cancer before it is too late...

no tears i don't think...i never felt like crying from it...i have had some ex bf get too rough w/mine...and that hurt worse than this...

jodie
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

For me personally it was'nt that bad.
    Its alot of pressure/sqeezing sensation,... not pain.

and the tech is fast so once your breast is compressed its only for a second while they click a buttom for the x-ray. A baseline Mammo is usually just 4 pics. (2 of each boobie :)
    Wishing you luck~
    You'll do fine
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Keke
    It will be over before you know it. Where I go they take 4 different pictures, 2 on each side. Th actual time of pressure on the breast is just seconds for each picture. Most of the techs are very sensitive and try to minimize the discomfort.
    Make sure they know it is your first time and that you are a bit apprehensive.Try not to worry. We all do it and survive!!

Kathy
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Had mine done at a 34 since I was having chronic Mastitis (infection in the breast) and it was infected at the time -so I was terrifed, as it hurt to even look at them.

Just wanted to tell you it was pretty quick and I got thru it okay as I am sure you will too. I was very happy after I had it done because it did rule out Breast Cancer. You will feel good after hearing that.

Hang in there and I am so glad you scheduled it. Great thing to do. It will be over before you know it! Sending support your way...

Hugs
    Kim
  7. sueliza

sueliza New Member

It is uncomfortable, but not extremely painful. I had my mammogram 10 months after breast reduction and it still wasn't too bad.

Have you told your dr about your painful breasts? You could also take something before you go to head off the pain.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine! :)
  8. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I'm almost 48 and I've been having them nearly yearly ever since age 35. To me it doesn't hurt at all and I don't fear going at all. Some even use this special 'mammopad' and that helps. I can't even stand the pain of anyone touching my stomach or pelvic area and even an having ultrasound looking for gallbladder problems I couldn't stand the pain. The jabbing and pressure on my stomach and lungs were too much but a mammogram to me is a cakewalk. Just know you are doing something good for yourself so feel good about it and treat yourself to whatever afterwards!
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had a mammogram last week also a ultrasound. It was nothing, but I don't have breast pain either so maybe it was easier.

I am sure if you tell the technician you have pain she will be careful.. It will be over quickly and you will be so happy you did it.
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I've had one. I think the level of pain you feel may depend partly on whether you've had children and partly on the skill of the technician.

There is also something called a Thermogram which doesn't hurt at all and is another way of screening the breasts for cancer.

It's not the same as a mammogram. Both kinds of "grams" can see some things and miss others. They are complimentary, you could say.

But I choose to get more thermograms and fewer mammograms, because of the pain issue.

What got me through my mammogram was picturing various famous men having prostate exams.

If life were fair, there would be such a thing as a 'testogram' for men! lol

Love,
    Forebearance
  11. emttoni

emttoni New Member

But necessary. They do hurt but like someone else said the fm pain is worse.

Ive been having them every year since I was about 30 - am 46 now - and then this year I had to have three of them done. First one was yearly and then because they found "something" I had to go back and have a cone compresion done - dont know what that means excpet they squish it even more for this one. I also have fibrocystic breasts so this was something other than what is normally there. This one was the only one where I thought I was going to have to cry. And then I went to have an ultrasound done.

DH knows how uncomfortable I am after these so he and the kids did dinner that night for me.

Good news was it was only a fluid filled cyst - again! And I go back in 12 months.
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... that we do because we have to, like pelvic exams. ICK.

Try not to work yourself up about it. The positioning takes the time; the actual mammo is over before you know it.

Marta