Going for massage today...my first in 6 monthes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I can`t wait for 5:00 I get to go for a massage. I really need it, its been awhile. It really helps me. Have any of you had good/bad luck with massage? Just curious because I have`t seen this topic yet, the month I`ve been here.
    Hope you`re all having a good Friday! Take good care!
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I can`t wait for 5:00 I get to go for a massage. I really need it, its been awhile. It really helps me. Have any of you had good/bad luck with massage? Just curious because I have`t seen this topic yet, the month I`ve been here.
    Hope you`re all having a good Friday! Take good care!
  3. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I get one every week at the chiroprator's office. Just be sure and drink a large glass of water as soon as you get home. And when I say large, I mean the OHMYGOD size. Don't sip on it, drink it down as fast as you can without drowning.

That will help flush out the toxins that the massage pulls out of your muscles. If you don't you will be sore tomorrow. The more water you can drink down, the better the flush.

Good luck
    Kathy
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

What a diffence, I just got back and I feel so great. The girl I went to for the massage has only been doing it about a year but she was pretty good at it. Right now, I don`t feel much pain, it probably won`t last long but I`ll enjoy it will it lasts.

Thanks for reminding me about drinking the water, Marinemom. I forgot about that.

Denise, you are so lucky! Take care girls!
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I have often thought that a massage might help, but I can't hardly stand to be touched. I mean the lightest of touches on my back, shoulders and knees bring tears to my eyes. It is very painful. Even someone patting me on the shoulder sometimes really gets to me. Anyone else hurt like that?
  6. Vincint

Vincint New Member

I think about a massage all the time. Especially in the Morn. and eve. when the pain and stffness is bad. I used to give massages but it has been so long that I got one it would put me right to sleep. Good for U. Enjoy it. Vincint
  7. lindasue

lindasue New Member

I can think of NOTHING that would make me feel better than at least an hour long massage....and facial,,,,and manicure and peticure!!!!! And believe me, I THINK about it a lot!!!
    The problem is....I can't seem to get myself motivated enough to go!!!!! I will go to the market and think...I should just go somewhere and have an afternoon of total pampering......but I always finish the marketing....and then it's back home..
    How do some of you get yourself motivated enough to do anything these days....other than the stuff you HAVE to take care of??? I just stop when I finish the MUST do things.......
    HELP!!! I've become a hermet!!!!!
    Love,
    Linda Sue
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Look how long I put it off.[6monthes] I feel so fatiged all the time I can barely take a shower.

But I`d been feeling so much worse the last six monthes since I hadn`t been getting massages. Finally, even my chiropractor told me to get in a get a massage and get loosed up, my muscles were so knotted up. I think that`s what finally got me to go.
    LindaSue, I know we need to rest and pamper ourselves a little so we can heal. We give and give till we feel spent and have nothing left to give. I think one of the lessons of this illness is to learn to receive. I think we`re all givers but not very good at taking help from others or letting others do things for us. I knew I`m not.
    When I do something to replenish myself, I feel so much better!
  9. Wuame

Wuame New Member

It seems to depend on the person and for me it also depends on where I'm at with my FM. My massage T uses a variety of techniques so I can usually find something that doesn't hurt my muscles or my skin, even if limited to just certain areas of the body. I'm trying to go at least every couple weeks as it is very relaxing physically & spiritually. I wish you well with it.

Wuame
  10. itchy

itchy New Member

Massage and heat seem to help me the most. I would go for a massage every week if I could afford it.Chriopractor adjustments also help me. Unfortunately, my insurance will not cover this or anything that pertains to FM or TMJ (of which I suffer too) Insurance will cover PT, but for flairs only, so that means very few visits to help with soft tissue. My rhuemotologist reccommends massage and has written script for it, but insurance still doesn't cover. Do I need to appeal to someone?
    Itchy
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Insurance companies are so stubborn. I don`t knew if that would help. My company doesn`t pay anything on massage and a little bit on my chiropractor.
  12. toots2

toots2 New Member

Can't stand to be touched. I tried it for three months. I hurt everytime, even drinking lots of water and resting afterwards. I was seeing a reputable message therapist speicializing in fibro patients only but even with the lightest touch, and sometimes no touching at all just the heat from her hands, I would end up in pain. We are all different so hopefully you won't have this problem. Toots